Quantcast

LBS ripoff

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
partsbara said:
hotel partsbara is full up this weekend...

BEG BIATCH ;)
It's hard to resist coming back at that one, but I'll just let it whistle by in hopes of having a place to crash...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sanjuro said:
How the hell did my thread about LBS become some homo discussion?
Partsbara and MikeD can turn just about any discussion into a homo discussion.

They're both typing from laptops located deep inside the closet.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
sanjuro said:
10 minutes later, after checking stiff links, b-screw adjustment, hanger and cage alignment (and this was a new chain and cassette, both Dura-Ace 10 speed); after carefully examining when the chain was popping on the pulley, I noticed some gunk built up. The owner of the shop removed the pulley to examine it closer, scraped off what looked like road tar, reinstalled it, and the bike worked correctly.

$50? Probably kinda high, considering it took about 20 minutes worth of work. But I know many shops would not have fixed the skipping, and even I suggested replacing the pulley. The owner solved the problem without costing the customer another cent.

And many mechanics it would have taken about 45 minutes to resolve this, which is about $50 shop labor charge.
So are you just tooting your own horn or complaining about your shop's labor rates. Also you got the whole shebang done in 10 minutes, that makes it a 10 minute job, not a 45 minute job. If you want more money for your services and don't want to work slower, try chargeing everything as a line item, chain install $10, cassette $15, minor tune $29. If you complete it in 10 minutes it still costs $54, if you complete it in 7 days still $54.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
Partsbara and MikeD can turn just about any discussion into a homo discussion.

They're both typing from laptops located deep inside the closet.
But I'm using both hands...

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
sanjuro said:
Really?

Pop quiz, hotshot: Chain is skipping when pedalling forwards and backwards. No stiff link where the pin was inserted. What you do? What do you do?
Only one "good" answer. Convert to SS. :D

EDIT:

Echo said:
Tell the guy to grow a set and get rid of his shifters and derailleurs?
Haha, beat me to it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
maxyedor said:
So are you just tooting your own horn or complaining about your shop's labor rates. Also you got the whole shebang done in 10 minutes, that makes it a 10 minute job, not a 45 minute job. If you want more money for your services and don't want to work slower, try chargeing everything as a line item, chain install $10, cassette $15, minor tune $29. If you complete it in 10 minutes it still costs $54, if you complete it in 7 days still $54.
This was in response to another thread about LBS Markup. Unfortunately, it took a whole different direction.

And yes, I was tooting my own horn...;) ;) ;)

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
mud'n'sweat said:
Only one "good" answer. Convert to SS. :D

EDIT:

Haha, beat me to it.
thats the great thing about the SS... we built my wife up one to take to korea... she loves it and thankfully the base she uses it on is relatively flat... she can scoot around on it and not have to worry about mechanical probs... now she just needs to learn the way the fork goes... on her first attempt she installed it backward... she soon figured it by herself.. but she called later, laughing... wondering why the brakes were hitting the downtube :)...

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
sanjuro said:
I was just kidding. One reason why I am pretty good now is because I have made or seen every mistake in the book, from stripping BB's to my favorite, someone threading a left pedal into the right crankarm. I developed a new term for that kind of mechanic: sh*tdiot.

hahahaha some jerkoff brought back a bike to me saying that i threaded his pedals in backwards during a tune up i did. A. i don't take the pedals off for a typical tune up. B. had i taken his pedals off, i wouldn't of threaded them halfway into each arm, backwards. this guy was almost at the point of hitting me in the face after i told him i hadn't done that nor did anyone else in my shop and he was lying to me. *shruggs*