Quantcast

LCD in my future

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Okay, that's it. I'm going to start seriously looking for a flat screen LCD TV. Say a 37". I was looking a Toshiba and a Samsung. I was told that Samsung bought Sony and that it was the same thing. Right, that's whey the Sony is a grand more expensive...

So for a decent LCD, with HD support, what would you all suggest? I want it to be a good brand. They're also pushing the $500 "in home service plan" which covers it for 5 years, blah blah blah. Screw that. Maybe if they throw it in for free...

I'm in the Great White North so I guess pricing will be a little hard to compare, but for now, I'm just lookin for a good product.

Also, what about this up-converting DVD to HD quality? Anyone think that it's worth it? I'm pretty happy with my DVD quality so far on my 27" tube with the nice round screen.

I was also looking at a DVD,CD,Receiver, Home theatre thing from Denon. One little box with a ton of jacks in it so no more jerking around with a zillion plugs to put in the back of my mini system.

Things have got to be just right for my Mitchapalooza....

Input appreciated.

-C:help:

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
SkaredShtles said:
It would be much easier and cheaper to give up TV.

HTH.

:D
agreed. we don't have one in the house. I just waste my time on the interenet these days..:help:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You kinda need to nail down what you're looking for a little more. Things have gotten to the point where this is like asking, "I need a computer. One of those ones with the CD drives in them. Which one should I have?"

What's your realistic budget? Do you want the latest and greatest, highest quality picture? Or will you be happy with a 37" screen that's nicer than your tube picture? Do you want to output from your computer? Do you want it to be somewhat future-proof or are you likely to replace it in a couple years? There's a lot of variables here :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Da Peach said:
Tried that for the last month or so. It's getting old.

I don't know "What not to Wear" anymore...
that's funny stuff...you been hanging around w/ MMike too much? you are starting to sound like him.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just got a 44" LCD rear projection Panasonic and I have been amazed at the quality of picture.

The LCD rear projection is a better value in my opinion. You can get a larger picture for the price and are less than 15" deep.

The 720p are much cheaper than the 1080i and the picture is still better than DVD quality (480p). We also bought an over the air HD antenna and I can't believe how well the ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and PBS HD broadcasts are. The PBS HD cahnnel is incredible!

J

JRB

N8 said:
You have become a broken record on this subject... don't loco yourself man!
hahaha - you criticizing repetition. ahahaha

God I wish I had skaredsh*thead's desk slapping smiley. ahahahaha

J

JRB

narlus said:
that's funny stuff...you been hanging around w/ MMike too much? you are starting to sound like him.
Hmm - that solves that problem??? Perhaps SS should look into this TV thing. :think:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
profro said:
The 720p are much cheaper than the 1080i and the picture is still better than DVD quality (480p).
FYI, the 720p picture is actually better than a 1080i picture.

Interlaced means that only every other line is drawn for a frame, and the next frame fills in the lines between. Progressive means that every line is drawn for the whole screen for every frame.

Thus, 1080i = 540 lines drawn at any given time. 720p = 720 lines drawn.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jackson, you deleted your post :p

Rear projection and LCD are not mutually exclusive... The rear projection image has to be generated in order to be projected. On an LCD rear projection, the projected image is generated on an LCD.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I've been really happy with my 32" Sharp Aquos LCD with built in HD tuner paired with a Samsung HDMI DVD player. The contrasts and colors looked better to my eyes than similarly sized Samsung and Sony LCDs I looked at. I mainly use it to watch movies and don't subscribe to cable at home but the local TV stations that broadcast in HD come through very well over the air. The built-in speaker sound pretty good too.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
binary visions said:
Loco, you deleted your post :p

Rear projection and LCD are not mutually exclusive... The rear projection image has to be generated in order to be projected. On an LCD rear projection, the projected image is generated on an LCD.
that was me... not loco.

but thanks for clearing that up.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
First off......don't bite on any extended warrantee or anything like a "service plan" at any cost. LCD is fine.....some folks lament the less-than-deep-black colors that plasma will produce over an LCD screen, but the LCD will, theoretically, last longer than a plasma screen. As for the DVD issue.......stick with what you have right now. Blu-Ray and Hi-def are going to fight it out for a year or two over who gets to be the dominant player. Remember beta-max and VHS? You don't want to run out and buy a crapload of DVD's on one format just to find out the other is going to be the standard by which everything else is built(I personally think it will be Blu-Ray, but that's just me).

Rock out the LCD HDTV and enjoy your standard DVD player for another year or two--a clear winner will emerge real soon.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
narlus said:
Only for 31 years......give or take.....

More important than TV, being newly single, and with the "Summer of Chris" on the way, he needs to shave his junk.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
We picked up our Panasoinc rear LCD as an open box from Circuit City. With a 4 year service plan the TV turned out to be the same price as a brand new one without the service plan.

As for the DVD player we also picked up a Toshiba up-convert HDMI DVD player and it was crap. After two returns for two different Toshiba models, we returned it and picked up a Panasonic HDMI up-convert DVD player and couldn't be happier. $100 for an up-convert HD DVD player was a small investment if it needs to be replaced with a different standard later.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
binary visions said:
You kinda need to nail down what you're looking for a little more. Things have gotten to the point where this is like asking, "I need a computer. One of those ones with the CD drives in them. Which one should I have?"

What's your realistic budget? Do you want the latest and greatest, highest quality picture? Or will you be happy with a 37" screen that's nicer than your tube picture? Do you want to output from your computer? Do you want it to be somewhat future-proof or are you likely to replace it in a couple years? There's a lot of variables here :)
Good point. But it's hard to choose when you see a cheap one and a more expensive one next to each other and you realise you're about to buy a piece of crap relatively speaking....the guy claimed that this Samsung (don't know which model #, but it was new, and had a glossy black frame) was the best on the market. Better the the Sony Bravia. I doubt it somehow, but the picture was comparable between the 2.

I do want it to be future proof. I want this thing to be an investment. I like TV, I like movies, I like video games. Sue me. There's just a lot of grey area on what is necessary and what isn't though. As I understand it, in Canada, there are currently about 6 channels broadcast in HD on digital cable (which is the service I will have) I don't really care too too much about HD right now, but isn't HD going to be the new standard in a couple years? In which case you'll have to have HD?

One of the TVs I was looking at had a slot for a card which would eliminate the need for an HD tuner/receiver thingy... That sounded like a good thing. It was a Toshiba.

And what's the deal with all the different ways to hook everything up? HDMI vs. the 3 colour cables? If you're not watching in HD, is one better than the other? I'd rather not spend a fortune on cables right now when I could put that money towards getting a better TV. Then the guy starts pushing this power bar with all these filters on it which will supposedly improve the quality. $150 bucks. For a frickin power bar with cable jacks in it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Keep this in mind when looking at TVs...

when they have 30 of them lined up side by side, some will look better than others. But when there is only one sitting in your family room, it will look great because you have nothing next to it to compare it to. However, if it doesn't work, it does you no good.

Don't walk in and buy the best picture you can find. Decide on features you want and a budget, then buy the best made TV you can. You'll be happier in the long run.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
MMike said:
Only for 31 years......give or take.....

More important than TV, being newly single, and with the "Summer of Chris" on the way, he needs to shave his junk.
Hey man, I've already visited the Quebecois(e) side. There's a new standard to maintain, apparently...

I need a new haircut too. A normal "hair on the head" haircut, that is.
Maybe a Beckham... French chicks dig it. I doubt they call it a Beckham though...

Must fight....metrosexual....gravity....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
jacksonpt said:
Keep this in mind when looking at TVs...

when they have 30 of them lined up side by side, some will look better than others. But when there is only one sitting in your family room, it will look great because you have nothing next to it to compare it to. However, if it doesn't work, it does you no good.

Don't walk in and buy the best picture you can find. Decide on features you want and a budget, then buy the best made TV you can. You'll be happier in the long run.

Exactly what I'm thinking. But what is "a well made" TV? Sony? Samsung? Toshiba? HP? I have no idea. I want value.

I still want to know about the HD business.

I"m gonna go to the Audio Centre after work. See what they have to say about all this...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Da Peach said:
Exactly what I'm thinking. But what is "a well made" TV? Sony? Samsung? Toshiba? HP? I have no idea. I want value.

I still want to know about the HD business.

I"m gonna go to the Audio Centre after work. See what they have to say about all this...
FWIW my 27" Toshiba is a decade old and still going strong. :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Da Peach said:
But it's hard to choose when you see a cheap one and a more expensive one next to each other and you realise you're about to buy a piece of crap relatively speaking....
Gotcha. That's why you do your research online, figure out what you really need, and then you realize that the relative piece of crap might be what you need. Very similar to shopping for bikes - relatively speaking, that full carbon road bike with Campy-everything that weighs 13.26lbs. might make the Specialized Allez next to it look like crap... until you realize that all you need is something to commute to work on.

I do want it to be future proof. I want this thing to be an investment.
Ok.

One of the TVs I was looking at had a slot for a card which would eliminate the need for an HD tuner/receiver thingy... That sounded like a good thing. It was a Toshiba.
Personally, when it comes to technology, I don't like "built-ins". I like to know that if something changes, I can replace it. If something breaks, it won't take my TV out with it.

And what's the deal with all the different ways to hook everything up? HDMI vs. the 3 colour cables?
There are three basic HD connectors at the moment. HDMI, DVI and Composite (the 3 color cables). If you are looking to make sure that you're all future compatible, you probably want to make sure your TV supports all 3.

The edge of the HD standard is 1080p. If you want a mostly future-proof TV, something that will handle 1080p, with no built-in tuner, and all three of those HD connectors listed above, and supporting HDCP will put you in a good place.

This 37" Sceptre handls 1080p. It lacks a DVI input, but DVI-to-composite adapters are cheap. I can't find a listing for supporting HDCP, though :think:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
This is the one the guy would sell me for 2200$CAN
http://www.bestbuy.ca/multimedia/products/large/10067819.jpg

Toshiba 37" Widescreen LCD HDTV** (37HL95)

With Toshiba 37HL95, image is everything. This LCD Flat Panel television will revolutionize any living room with its modern flat screen, multitude of features and exceptional picture quality. It is the perfect match of leading edge technology and beauty.
Purchase service plan

Add to your wish list Compare Lowest Price Guarantee

Product Features

600:1 Contrast Ratio

PixelPure AT Video Processing

HDMI Digital Input

176 Degree Viewing Angle

16ms Response Speed

Gemstar TV Guide EPG

5 TheatreWide Modes

Colour Detail Enhancement

CableClear Digital Noise Reduction

MPEG Noise Reduction

Closed Captioning

Advanced Channel Return

Individual Video Memory

**Requires HDTV Source

Product Details

Web Code: 10067819
Mfr. Part Number: 37HL95
480i/480p 540p/960i 720p/1080i Capability 480i/480p, 720p, 1080i
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Built-In Protective Screen Shield Not Applicable
Center Channel Input Yes
Channel Labeling Yes
Comb Filter 3D Y/C
Commercial Skip No
Component Video Inputs 2 ColourStream HD
Digital Focus Not Applicable
Display Type LCD
Dolby Digital Surround Sound Yes
Fine Pitch Screen Not Applicable
First Surface Mirror Not Applicable
Front A/V Inputs/Outputs No
Front S-Video Inputs/Outputs No
HDTV Compatible Yes
Headphone Jack Yes
Included In Box Remote, Battery, Manual
Invar Shadow Mask Not Applicable
Language Options French, English, Spanish,
Lenticular Screen Yes
Multi Sync Multi Source Yes
Parental Control Yes
Picture-In-Picture No
Product Dimensions 92(W) x 66(H) x 11(D) cm
Product Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour
Product Weight 27.3 kg
Progressive Scanning Yes
Rear A/V Inputs/Outputs 2 +1 Audio Inputs, 1 Audio Output
Rear S-Video Inputs/Outputs 1
Remote Control Type Backlit Universal
RF Inputs 2
Scan Velocity Modulation Yes
Screen Size 37"
Sleep/Alarm Timer Yes
Sound Logic Audio Leveler Stable Sound
Speaker Output Jacks No
Speed Channel Surf Yes
Surround Sound No
TV Guide Plus Yes
Upconversion Technology Yes
Variable Audio Output No
Vertical Compression Yes
VGA/SVGA Inputs 1
Video Input Labeling Yes
Watts Per Channel 10 Watt x 2
Wide Band Video Amplifier Yes

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's got less contrast and twice the response time of the Sceptre I posted.

I don't see anything about supporting HDCP, either...