Quantcast

### Le Friderp ###

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The thing I don't like about having OneDrive is that people still send files as attachments, rather than sharing them in OneDrive so they become collaborative documents. Drives me batty. In my opinion, the biggest strength systems like this have is that there can be one document, in a place, and multiple people can contribute. Even better would be to introduce branching, or a pull request type of workflow, but FFS people don't even understand the sharing and collaborating thing so branching would be way out of the question.

Also, investment monkeys: I just realized that my HSA isn't invested and I need to sort that ASAP. Without going to deep into it, what's a solid "set & forget" thing I can invest this thing in, until such a time that I can dive in a little deeper and figure it out? Something like S&P500 or whatever? I know fuck all about this shit.
My HSA administrator just invests it in a target date fund, which sounds reasonable. I usually leave enough in there to cover the yearly deductible and invest the rest.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Also, investment monkeys: I just realized that my HSA isn't invested and I need to sort that ASAP. Without going to deep into it, what's a solid "set & forget" thing I can invest this thing in, until such a time that I can dive in a little deeper and figure it out? Something like S&P500 or whatever? I know fuck all about this shit.
Yup, put it in a passively managed index fund that tracks either the S&P 500 or the total stock market. What are your specific options?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
@stoney to a white courtesy phone... @stoney to the white courtesy phone, please. :D
Already pinged him via text. Of course he wanted to ask me questions about timeline and goals and all that nonsense.

My HSA administrator just invests it in a target date fund, which sounds reasonable. I usually leave enough in there to cover the yearly deductible and invest the rest.
This was kinda my first thought as well, I have several Vanguard target date funds I can choose from.

Yup, put it in a passively managed index fund that tracks either the S&P 500 or the total stock market. What are your specific options?
All the Vanguard things, there's like 30 of them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The thing I don't like about having OneDrive is that people still send files as attachments, rather than sharing them in OneDrive so they become collaborative documents. Drives me batty. In my opinion, the biggest strength systems like this have is that there can be one document, in a place, and multiple people can contribute. Even better would be to introduce branching, or a pull request type of workflow, but FFS people don't even understand the sharing and collaborating thing so branching would be way out of the question.
that's fine and all, but the vast majority of the documents i work with are managed in a separate PLM system due to change control requirements

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
that's fine and all, but the vast majority of the documents i work with are managed in a separate PLM system due to change control requirements
PLM can go die.

I've never heard engineers bitch about something more than debating about which solution is better than the other and for what reason.

And then it somehow comes back to IT with the "hey folks heres a present, plz 2 manage for us thx".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
PLM can go die.

I've never heard engineers bitch about something more than debating about which solution is better than the other and for what reason.

And then it somehow comes back to IT with the "hey folks heres a present, plz 2 manage for us thx".
we are legally required to use some form of PLM for change control.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
we are legally required to use some form of PLM for change control.
Same here. Also when you are managing very complex products and production systems it is necessary to maintain organization. Our IT department is responsible for our PLM implementation and is currently 6 years behind schedule. Mega brains canned all of the engineers and thought they could save money by contracting everything out.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I thought that they always came back with "Nobody needs to manage this system - it does it for you!"

Then 3 years later it's a total dumpster fire and *then* they come to IT to ask for someone to manage it.

:disgust:
Hmmm, solid and good point.

Or the good ole "we're borrowing this from the vendor, as a test appliance, don't worry"

...sometime later...

"ok now you can worry, that test thing is now in production. It was deployed incorrectly and we know it, but its your problem. Also don't change it!"

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
How's the weather out your way? We're still in t-shirt and shorts for some rides, but I think someone is about to flip the cold switch. :panic:
Same. But we'll get pounded by Nicole's leftovers. 40mm of rain coming in and cold after.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
A pause in the to-do list. Post dental thing. I can feel half my face.

While waiting for my to-go order of pincho de Pollo and salchipapas.

Seems a solid idea.
20221111_160330.jpg

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You know what sucks? Installing towing wiring when it's 38* out and you're in the shade.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Hmmm, solid and good point.

Or the good ole "we're borrowing this from the vendor, as a test appliance, don't worry"

...sometime later...

"ok now you can worry, that test thing is now in production. It was deployed incorrectly and we know it, but its your problem. Also don't change it!"
As a person who is often the vendor in that situation I just tell people. “Whatever you don’t tell your IT team about this! Oh and here are some usb thumb drives…just manually copy the data over. It’s ok. Really.”#kiddingnotkidding

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You know what sucks? Installing towing wiring when it's 38* out and you're in the shade.
it sucks that Lampert Hitch doesn't exist and that we don't have a system of commerce where one can exchange "dollars" for services