Quantcast

*-/-* Le GTFU Thursday GMT *-/-*

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
the reward of lines everywhere once there and the uncertainty of shit traffic on the way home? nothx. i'll take year round riding.
Fortunately, after so many years of skiing the local resorts, I've sorted out a "management" plan for weekend crowds, which works most of the time. And despite the hype, weekday skiing is still a ghost-town almost all season long.

And I'm OK with you choosing year-round riding... I wish about 2 million people here would *also* make that choice and move to NC. :D

Ugh, IHOP. Went there once with my kids, never again. That was in Colorado actually as well. Somewhere up in Denver where BIL lives. Quite far north just inside the 470 maybe? It was full of morbidly obese people and no actual nutrition was available. Kids had pancakes with coloured sugar chemicals and ‘yoghurt’ in a plastic tube. Felt disgusting.
It's quite amusing the differences in people you see depending on where in the metro you go... south and west you'll see a lot fewer giant, fat folks than you do in the northern suburbs. As you go northwest towards the Boulder Bubble it's similar...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
the reward of lines everywhere once there and the uncertainty of shit traffic on the way home? nothx. i'll take year round riding.

chapel thrill isn't much further than ashevegas, and maybe even a better place . fuck asheville and its fake artsy vibe, preppy boomer tourists, and trustafarians
Had to explain the term trustafarian to my mom after one panhandled her outside the library downtown. She was shocked and confused that the homeless looking dude with dirty dreadlocks was wealthy.

Chapel Hill ain’t so bad though. Haven’t been in a long time but wouldn’t dread it like having to visit Assville. Although I did get to live there when it was still cool and an amazing art and craft scene, you couldn’t pay me to live there now.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

chapel thrill isn't much further than ashevegas, and maybe even a better place . fuck asheville and its fake artsy vibe, preppy boomer tourists, and trustafarians
chapel hill is about a 3 hour drive....asheville...90 minutes....the orange peel is probably my favorite spot in nc besides kings barcade in raleigh...

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ugh, IHOP. Went there once with my kids, never again. That was in Colorado actually as well. Somewhere up in Denver where BIL lives. Quite far north just inside the 470 maybe? It was full of morbidly obese people and no actual nutrition was available. Kids had pancakes with coloured sugar chemicals and ‘yoghurt’ in a plastic tube. Felt disgusting.
Thankfully we are very mindful of what the girls eat. I can't eat the pancakes, so Haley usually eats mine. Syrup isn't a thing for us. And the girls usually can't finish the kid sized meals anyways. That nasty, fat American thing thankfully isn't an issue for us. Hell, Haley has a damn 6-pack and can't keep weight on if she tries.

Fortunately, after so many years of skiing the local resorts, I've sorted out a "management" plan for weekend crowds, which works most of the time. And despite the hype, weekday skiing is still a ghost-town almost all season long.
Go steeper. It works better.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
chapel hill is about a 3 hour drive....asheville...90 minutes....the orange peel is probably my favorite spot in nc besides kings barcade in raleigh...
that's right, you're a further west than me. for me, asheville and chapel hill are both about 2:15. i miss the old cats cradle, when ir was actually in chapel hill and not carrboro. actually never been to orange peel. always was cats cradle, brewery, ziggys, and here in clt tremont (rip), amos, milestone, or fillmore.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
that's right, you're a further west than me. for me, asheville and chapel hill are both about 2:15. i miss the old cats cradle, when ir was actually in chapel hill and not carrboro. actually never been to orange peel. always was cats cradle, brewery, ziggys, and here in clt tremont (rip), amos, milestone, or fillmore.
The sound engineer that designed the Orange Peel’s system was a friend of mine. It is the only PA that I can understand what someone says when they are just talking into the mic. His name was Nathan Milner, Grammy nominated, older bluegrass producer. He passed away last year after a battle with cancer. RIP

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
Go steeper. It works better.
This is good advice for management of crowds on ski runs - but I also have a plan for lift line management. I used to pitch the "steeper is better" to the wife when the kids were growing up, telling her the steep shit was *way* safer for little kids.

Back when you were a kid, you washed you clothes in the river with a stick and a rock
I actually did this when I thru-hiked the Colorado Trail a few times. Without the stick, of course - no need to complicate beating clothes on a rock. :homer:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This is good advice for management of crowds on ski runs - but I also have a plan for lift line management. I used to pitch the "steeper is better" to the wife when the kids were growing up, telling her the steep shit was *way* safer for little kids.
I have wifey on board with this - steep, trees, bumps. Weeds out Texas fast.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
This 10000%
We have staff development tomorrow and 2 hours of curriculum mapping (I've already done mine so I'll be staring at my chromebook aimlessly trying to get other shiete done) and then a pot luck lunch; breakfast and "fun wellness activities" for the rest of the day.
my "fun wellness activities" tomorrow will consist entirely of fucking the fuck off and heading directly for the hills

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've never skiied anything other than hard packed groomed ice. Maybe that's why I stopped. :D

Can't wait to see video of Toshi getting blasted in the face by that white stuff.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ziggys was cool....only ever got to see black angels/dead meadow there....

amos....saw mastadon there...clutch/coc...explosions in the sky was deafening...

tremont....i saw a brian fallon band there....fu manchu....graveyard.....naam....nothing....

milestone....never

fillmore....danzig.....deftones....dave chapelle...i want to say brmc...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I actually did this when I thru-hiked the Colorado Trail a few times. Without the stick, of course - no need to complicate beating clothes on a rock. :homer:
clotheslines.....i miss the smell of clothes that were hung out to dry in virginia growing up...

nearly decapitating myself on said clothesline hauling ass around the back of the house to the basement on the bike....not so much....