Quantcast

***Le tuesderp GMT***

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The first time I heard about a place offering unlimited vacation, I thought wow that’s amazing! But then when I realized what the implications were, I though what a scam.
Did you honestly think they would do something that had a one sided benefit for the employee? They literally NEVER do that, at least not in my experience.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Did you honestly think they would do something that had a one sided benefit for the employee? They literally NEVER do that, at least not in my experience.
No. I didn’t. But it’s like a glory hole. When you hear all you gotta do is walk up for service, it sounds sweet. Then you think about what’s really on the other side...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Currently at Civic Center Plaza on the 7th floor. There is a crazy lady yelling so loud that I can hear her from here. WTF?

Found out yesterday that Wifey's accident is still in arbitration so we don't know yet if we can file through USAA to avoid the deductible. I think I'm just going to get it repaired, pay out of pocket, then bill back to the appropriate insurance company so that I can sell this damn thing.

Also need to change the fuel pumps in the M so that I can get that sold... In-laws are in town this weekend, so not spending this weekend on it. I have winter solstice week off from work, so I might just do it then, unless of course there is powder and I'm going skiing that day...

Haley has a science report about the states of matter where she has to choose one and present about it. She doesn't want to do just one, but talk about all of them and how they can change. We did this experiment with dry ice and the ice-water-steam-water-ice cycle a few weeks ago. She wants to make a video of it, explaining how it works, etc. Her teacher is enthusiastically on-board with it after Haley told her this morning what she wants to do. I don't want it to feel like a "parent's too involved" school science experiment, because Haley just wants to repeat what we've already done, but a lot of this stuff I have to help with and the how-to's were things I gave her last time we did it... Dammit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haley has a science report about the states of matter where she has to choose one and present about it. She doesn't want to do just one, but talk about all of them and how they can change. We did this experiment with dry ice and the ice-water-steam-water-ice cycle a few weeks ago. She wants to make a video of it, explaining how it works, etc. Her teacher is enthusiastically on-board with it after Haley told her this morning what she wants to do. I don't want it to feel like a "parent's too involved" school science experiment, because Haley just wants to repeat what we've already done, but a lot of this stuff I have to help with and the how-to's were things I gave her last time we did it... Dammit.
you could have just let her play with a plasma cutter. "see this metal plate? BOOM. cut in half. science"

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Currently at Civic Center Plaza on the 7th floor. There is a crazy lady yelling so loud that I can hear her from here. WTF?

Found out yesterday that Wifey's accident is still in arbitration so we don't know yet if we can file through USAA to avoid the deductible. I think I'm just going to get it repaired, pay out of pocket, then bill back to the appropriate insurance company so that I can sell this damn thing.

Also need to change the fuel pumps in the M so that I can get that sold... In-laws are in town this weekend, so not spending this weekend on it. I have winter solstice week off from work, so I might just do it then, unless of course there is powder and I'm going skiing that day...

Fucking helicopter parents. :disgust1: :D

It's only a scam if you don't use it.
View attachment 139182
This. It may not work for everyone... but I took 6-1/2 weeks of PTO this year. The way I look at it - if the employer is going to get the benefit of no liability for PTO, they are gonna PAY for it. :thumb:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Lucky. Most employers here now have the "unlimited PTO policy", meaning you have to fight for every day/week, yet they won't pay for any PTO you are entitled to but didn't use.
Upside of WFH/field rep is that I can 'wfh' and be out doing other shit. Got half a day of shit to do and don't want to burn vacation? Take your phone with you. Boom! No vacation used.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Don't forget to include plasma as per JK... and Bose-Einstein condensates as well.

:D
We're going to get a 'woosh' if we go into the, what is it now - 7 stages? - of matter. We'll stick with 3. Explaining that steam isn't visible and what people see as steam is actually condensed water vapor will be fun. She saw a video on that this morning and said it would be hard to explain that to other second graders.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
We're going to get a 'woosh' if we go into the, what is it now - 7 stages? - of matter. We'll stick with 3. Explaining that steam isn't visible and what people see as steam is actually condensed water vapor will be fun. She saw a video on that this morning and said it would be hard to explain that to other second graders.
Add footnotes

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
if you really wanna mess with her head tell her there are more than one kind of ice
I was explaining that there could be 'hot' ice and cold gas, which made her look at me funny. She started to get it, but then we had to leave for school.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I just cashed in 80 hours of PTO this year and still have like 170 hrs in the bank. :disgust:

I suck at this.
you sound like my younger brother and REI.....he would go on "sabbatical" for two months....still have time left over....not touching actual vacation days....

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I just cashed in 80 hours of PTO this year and still have like 170 hrs in the bank. :disgust:

I suck at this.
I am in a similar position this year thanks to this goddamn project I've been on for two years. My PTO is precious to me and I've used hardly any of it in 2019. I've elected to cash in three weeks in 2020. Between my 2020 PTO allotment plus my carryover, I am still going to have four weeks left in my bank at the end of 2020 after all of my planned time off, company holidays, and the cash-in. So, I'll end up carrying it over again and cashing in three more weeks in 2021. Six extra weeks of pay is nice though. #newbike

This is what happens when you get seven weeks of annual PTO and you fall behind in using it for just one year. Good problem to have, I suppose.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Strongly considering a hooky-day on Monday... sounds like they got some actual good terrain opened at Winter Park last weekend... might be worth the early season conditions.

Also on the bright side - got me some gummies and some chocolate... now I just need to get to a point in my day that I can commence the couch-lock!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Strongly considering a hooky-day on Monday... sounds like they got some actual good terrain opened at Winter Park last weekend... might be worth the early season conditions.

Also on the bright side - got me some gummies and some chocolate... now I just need to get to a point in my day that I can commence the couch-lock!
Did you steal my dick butt?:butcher:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just found out I have been extended a whole month. Still waiting to here if I get 2 weeks off, or am I here when the place is empty. I am ok with either situation.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Made @Toshi proud and smashed a 24 oz. Porterhouse with my FIL at lunch today. Now to pretend I am hungry at dinner when I cook up the Ribeye I bought. Maybe I'll just drop dead instead so I don't have to fake it.