Quantcast

***Le tuesderp***

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yesterday was a good day at work. Today is on the path as well. We got an email from the CEO that we are working remote (no client site visits) through EOY.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hurricane Ed currently hitting my neighborhood. The wind is ripping and it is raining sheets. I'm in a work Zoom right now and I'd really like to focus my attention on the outdoors instead.

ETA: I work for the power company now and I've got some pretty sweet weather and electrical tracking tools at my disposal. The weather stuff is fun to play with.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Big maple? That's slab wood, yo! Ask if you can buy the tree from her then have someone come cut it for you to save the wood into useable sheets. That shit is worth thousands. Or tell her and help her finds someone to do it for her (assuming it's old and large).

Edit: I should read down more before I reply.
thousands? maybe out where you live. do you have any idea how common maples are around here? i've got 5 more in my yard alone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@Nick @Adventurous @stoney just out of curiosity i checked out the local sawmill. they almost never buy from homeowners as a rule. they have no transportation options, so that would be on me ($$++), however if you can get it there, they'll slab it for you: $175 per hour of saw time, and any damage to the saw from anything embedded in the wood. then transport of processed slabs would also be on me.

as far as an alaskan sawmill, i haven't measured, but guesstimating based on size, in addition to the chainsaw mill itself i would need a larger chainsaw (both in terms of bar length and engine power)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
as far as an alaskan sawmill, i haven't measured, but guesstimating based on size, in addition to the chainsaw mill itself i would need a larger chainsaw (both in terms of bar length and engine power)
woof. a saw with a powerful enough engine and long enough bar to make it worthwhile would be at least $1100.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@Nick @Adventurous @stoney just out of curiosity i checked out the local sawmill. they almost never buy from homeowners as a rule. they have no transportation options, so that would be on me ($$++), however if you can get it there, they'll slab it for you: $175 per hour of saw time, and any damage to the saw from anything embedded in the wood. then transport of processed slabs would also be on me.

Fair enough. Its not an endeavor to take lightly, but thick, live edge, maple slabs go for good money.

Surprised the local saw mill won't take em. There are a multitude of companies that will come take hardwood trees away at no cost to the homeowner cause they want the lumber. Its a good way to get large, old growth trees that are ordinarily off limits for logging.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fair enough. Its not an endeavor to take lightly, but thick, live edge, maple slabs go for good money.

Surprised the local saw mill won't take em. There are a multitude of companies that will come take hardwood trees away at no cost to the homeowner cause they want the lumber. Its a good way to get large, old growth trees that are ordinarily off limits for logging.
their business is strictly a sawmill. there's enough arborists & large tree companies in the area that they don't need to do both.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
When I was 19 a massive Black Walnut came down on our property. I have no idea how I researched it, but I got a local firearm manufacturer to pay me close to $10k For it. He said the most valuable part was the rootball.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When I was 19 a massive Black Walnut came down on our property. I have no idea how I researched it, but I got a local firearm manufacturer to pay me close to $10k For it. He said the most valuable part was the rootball.
yea silver maples are a dime a dozen around here.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
All this rain seems to be closing trails where we're headed next week. :(

Shiiiiiit. Is it that bad out there @Jozz?

Sentiers du Moulin mostly closed, VBN on the verge of closing. Haven't checked MSA yet.

Whats Empire 47 like?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
All this rain seems to be closing trails where we're headed next week. :(

Shiiiiiit. Is it that bad out there @Jozz?

Sentiers du Moulin mostly closed, VBN on the verge of closing. Haven't checked MSA yet.

Whats Empire 47 like?
It will all be open within a few days cause $$

edit: E47 is great too!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
As of nao the Toaster has new wiper blades, an oil and filter change, new spark plugs, new air filter, and new cabin filters. All without having to take it to an oil change place. Drove by the local Grease Monkey a week ago and not one of the employees was wearing a mask. Fuck them !

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Got to play first responder to someone I found on the trail with a TBI this evening. Pretty serious, out cold anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes, slow to respond, significant loss of time/memory, not recognizing people they were riding with (when I called them and we got them back up at the top of the trail). Got the paramedics to come out and respond to the location. I'm glad I made those calls, the more I was with them, the more I was sure it was a significant TBI event.