Quantcast

***Le Tuesderp***

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Maybe when the Central Valley floods we can trap all the wild animals in Florida and turn them loose, you know, before Florida disappears.

Maybe CA is destined to be Florida 2.0.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
??

they'd all die during the drought periods (which could easily be 5 minutes after the swamp inundation)
Yes climate change will handle that for us. It'll all balance out in the end... it'll be salt water though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Legs too tired after all that powder yesterday, eh, Full Trucker?

/me is working today, a busy day thus far in house at the hospital. pancreatic cancer clinic as is every tuesday. skiing tomorrow at least.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's not just cargill it's also municipal water supplies. It's just going to make flooding worse.

This state deserves itself sometimes.
I think this was the article that I just randomly ran across a few years back on the topic: https://longreads.com/2018/02/05/the-couple-who-turned-a-california-desert-into-a-multi-billion-dollar-snack-empire/

??

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
About this time every year I have decompressed from all the stress and chaos of the holidays and am generally in a better mood and start thinking happy thoughts about Christmas only to realize that it has passed this grumpy Elf by once again.

You're not the only one. I was listening to christmas songs two nights ago. Like you, actual christmas was too hectic to pay attention. And all we did was clear snow and talk to neighbors...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
"Some" being the key word.

We've drained so much water out of there that will likely never recover. In a lot of places the aquifers themselves have collapsed (check out "central valley subsidence" if you haven't seen anything on it).

Elevation-wise it's becoming death valley.

That's just wild. Almost beyond comprehension that all that land could sink so far in such a short amount of time.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Yeah - I'd heard that farmers were sucking those things dry.
How dare you insinuate that farmers could possibly contribute to the water shortage. These poor poor farmers, who's land we devalued because they can no longer sell it to developers, and who barely break even every year after after buying brand new $120k Superdutties and funding their offroad race teams through the company, they need to waste water so show a little appreciation.

Hold up, just looked out my office window and they're watering an empty field in the rain, with a "water = food" sign on the corner of said field. On second thought, fuck the whiney farmers, to include the absolutely massive sod farms around here that get to use all the water in the world, at reduced rates, to create sod which can't technically be installed right now due to drought restrictions, but has a higher profit margin than vegetables so they won't make the switch to an actual useful crop.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
About this time every year I have decompressed from all the stress and chaos of the holidays and am generally in a better mood and start thinking happy thoughts about Christmas only to realize that it has passed this grumpy Elf by once again.
You're not the only one. I was listening to christmas songs two nights ago. Like you, actual christmas was too hectic to pay attention. And all we did was clear snow and talk to neighbors...
my problem is that we only had about a 3 day window when nobody was sick, and those 3 days were wasted dealing with my sisters annoying family

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
my problem is that we only had about a 3 day window when nobody was sick, and those 3 days were wasted dealing with my sisters annoying family
Have Christmas with the Kranks when everyone is better. Just you, your wife and kids. The little ones won’t know the difference. No relatives or in-laws to fuck it up. In fact, don’t tell them.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
How dare you insinuate that farmers could possibly contribute to the water shortage. These poor poor farmers, who's land we devalued because they can no longer sell it to developers, and who barely break even every year after after buying brand new $120k Superdutties and funding their offroad race teams through the company, they need to waste water so show a little appreciation.

Hold up, just looked out my office window and they're watering an empty field in the rain, with a "water = food" sign on the corner of said field. On second thought, fuck the whiney farmers, to include the absolutely massive sod farms around here that get to use all the water in the world, at reduced rates, to create sod which can't technically be installed right now due to drought restrictions, but has a higher profit margin than vegetables so they won't make the switch to an actual useful crop.
Equally asinine, household swimming pools and golf courses in SoCal.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

I’m not even sure where to begin. But from my time in an also equally irrigated Ag environment (CO), the amount of water wasted on fucked up and extremely outdated farming practices is mind boggling.

So many vegan/vegetarian folks this way think by drinking almond milk they are saving the planet. JFC. Watch what they do to clear an old grove and ready the soil for the new planting. Not only a huge waste of the soils water holding capacity but also fossil fuels. Let’s deep rip 6’ because fuck this ground in particular.
There is zero no til farming in much of the irrigated west. It’s pretty common knowledge in agronomic circles that per pass of tillage you losing 1/4”-1/2” of held moisture out of the ground. But I guess I’m in the desert, who gives a fuck, we’re just going to irrigate.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It's hard for farmers to change what they've always done. Present them with science and they'll make a good talk but when the chips are down they....

...do what they've always done.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Well, sounds like everyone's 2023 is off to an awesome start. Back at work today, so:

FTS
:stosh:
I should go back to bed
Etc., etc.

In other news, I'm thinking about picking up small packs my older daughters (9 and 11) for day hikes. Something big enough for water and some food, decent enough quality to last them awhile. Maybe a small camelbak? Any suggestions from teh Monkey?
My daughters both have Camelbaks. Youngest is 10 and has had a Mini Mule for a few years. Oldest is 16 and graduated from the Mini Mule to a 50oz women's camelbak (I think it's a Charm or a Hydrapak).

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Afternoon. Glad to be back at school....especially for a short week to break us back in. Had a table read of our dinner theater show today and I think it's going to be so much fun! Off to dinner for my parents anniversary in a few minutes and not enjoying the rain (which should be snow) that is just going to turn everything into a skating rink as the temperatures drop again this weekend. Good times.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We have family with one in San Jose. It was there when they moved in. One of the first things they did was install a sealed cover for when it's not being used. He said that the water usage, despite there being 4 kids playing in it, has actually dropped 35% from before it was installed and the kids were allowed in it. Amazing how much minimal work to offset evaporation can do.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well, sounds like everyone's 2023 is off to an awesome start. Back at work today, so:

FTS
:stosh:
I should go back to bed
Etc., etc.

In other news, I'm thinking about picking up small packs my older daughters (9 and 11) for day hikes. Something big enough for water and some food, decent enough quality to last them awhile. Maybe a small camelbak? Any suggestions from teh Monkey?
Haley has an REI daypack that carries a bladder. She liked the feel better than the CamelBak. Also has a CamelBak for riding, so we swap the bladder back and forth. Inexpensive, good option that Hannah will likely take up too.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I'm a big fan of Osprey and own a bunch of their packs. They've always carried weight comfortably and had good bladders.
Plenty of small 50oz CB's to choose from for kids iirc, my SIL bought a bunch for their girls for skiing.

edit:
These would be @StiHacka approved versions:
My daughters both have Camelbaks. Youngest is 10 and has had a Mini Mule for a few years. Oldest is 16 and graduated from the Mini Mule to a 50oz women's camelbak (I think it's a Charm or a Hydrapak).
Haley has an REI daypack that carries a bladder. She liked the feel better than the CamelBak. Also has a CamelBak for riding, so we swap the bladder back and forth. Inexpensive, good option that Hannah will likely take up too.
My old Camelbak Mule has been good to me, so maybe we'll try out the Mini Mule first, with an eye on an REI or Osprey pack if it's a no-go. Thanks for the input, everyone.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
We have family with one in San Jose. It was there when they moved in. One of the first things they did was install a sealed cover for when it's not being used. He said that the water usage, despite there being 4 kids playing in it, has actually dropped 35% from before it was installed and the kids were allowed in it. Amazing how much minimal work to offset evaporation can do.
I believe covers are now required at all times when not actively using the pool, but seeing as how most pools aren't in the front yard it's hard for water districts to enforce.

Covers save a fuckload of water and energy if you're a dainty lad who needs a heated pool.

At least some golf courses are irrigated with reclaimed water, now property taxes and golf courses, oh boy...

I’m not even sure where to begin. But from my time in an also equally irrigated Ag environment (CO), the amount of water wasted on fucked up and extremely outdated farming practices is mind boggling.

It honestly blows my mind how wasteful most of the farmers around here are. Even at their reduced water prices, you'd think dumping so much water on a field that it fills the 4' deed storm drain with muddy run-off wouldn't be very cost effective. Shouldn't keeping their topsoil on top of their soil be a bit of a priority?

I used to do a bunch of infrastructure projects for Monsanto's seed facility here in the 'Nard and seeing what goes into those seeds to get the most yield, and at the right time is wild, but then these idiots squander all that expense and effort in the dumbest ways, and can't be critiqued because "they're feeding America".

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Shouldn't keeping their topsoil on top of their soil be a bit of a priority?

"they're feeding America".
One would think right? Saving your topsoils anywhere in the country should be a priority but for years farmers have just did what grandpa did and so on. But companies like my previous employer JD and any equipment company for that matter make a shit pile of money selling equipment to work the shit out of the ground. Why worry about the future when you can make more money!!!

The same jackasses that are quick to shout i Am FeEdiNg MeRiCa are the same jackasses that are quick to also shout build the wall. With out migrant labor all we would have are piles of grain and no harvested fruit. Migrants are who are truly feeding America.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
One would think right? Saving your topsoils anywhere in the country should be a priority but for years farmers have just did what grandpa did and so on. But companies like my previous employer JD and any equipment company for that matter make a shit pile of money selling equipment to work the shit out of the ground. Why worry about the future when you can make more money!!!

The same jackasses that are quick to shout i Am FeEdiNg MeRiCa are the same jackasses that are quick to also shout build the wall. With out migrant labor all we would have are piles of grain and no harvested fruit. Migrants are who are truly feeding America.
I bet you're really popular at the local grange hall, eh? :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

"congress created dustbowl" :rofl:

You remember that shit? Where you could see green fields 300ft behind the dust strip they very obviously and deliberately created?

Some of you guys seem to think 'farmers' are the people in the american gothic painting. It's huge corporate shit for the most part. There are very few family farms and that whole 'we feed america' stuff is lobbyist language.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The more you can marginalize migrants the cheaper they are. The knuckledraggers may not realize it but that is very much part of the plan.