Quantcast

Leading foot ache/cramp?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Anyone else get this? People always talk about arm pump, I don't really get that at all since I started climbing (top tip!) - not even at Fort William. I do get foot pump though, just on my left (leading) foot. Seems to happen more if I'm not pedalling, when the foot is in the same position for the majority of a run.

It was so bad at fort william that I bought a new pair of 5-10s that immediately helped it a bit, I can't remember if it cured it completely. Those shoes are only 3 months old now so I'm loathe to replace them again (and they seem a lot stiffer than the last set I threw out were when I replaced them).

So what gives?

My first thought is poorly set-up rear suspension, but I dunno, it feels pretty good to me!

- seb

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
sole of my foot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_feet - not sure, don't think so. Not massively pronounced arches, but certainly not totally flat.

Problem has got worse over the last year - but that could be just because I'm riding harder faster and longer, oo-er.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
sole of my foot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_feet - not sure, don't think so. Not massively pronounced arches, but certainly not totally flat.

Problem has got worse over the last year.
i get the same problem, most noticably in the arches. my feet are slightly flat so i just attributed the pain to that. i generally ride in nike air force 1s so maybe a stiffer sole would help.

I'm riding harder faster and longer, oo-er.
dont tell the missus..

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Maybe I should look at getting some custom insoles made. Where would I go for that?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cheers :) Might go to a local running shop and see if they have any pearls of wisdom. Or maybe I'll try and teach myself to ride switch over winter :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Don't be afraid of a better insole. I don't know what kind of shoes you run, but a lot of DHers' do not think much about footwear.

Insoles is the big thing in xc and road, and I don't see how better support can't help you.

I wouldn't go the running shoe route yet. They have all kinds of weird and expensive measurement systems. I would just head down to REI and try one of those first.

Also, why not try pedalling with your right foot forward?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I would say it sounds like a shoe issue. Orthodics would be a great idea, we actually have more than afew roadie customers that have them. See the doctor first, if they write you a script, you can get Insurance to cover them.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
seb,

I found as I've aged my feet have changed, they've grown wider at the forefoot and longer overall, plus they need more support from underneath.

My experience has been that when my feet are cramping or aching from the sole upward (from beneath), it means they need better support underfoot. Usually that means more support under the arch, and a firmer footbed overall.

Also, check to be sure your shoes aren't squeezing your foot width-wise (pinching your foot inward from the sides) -- if you get a little bit of a bow (archer's bow is the kind of "bow" I mean here) to your foot, it can cramp from beneath almost the same as if you need more arch support.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I was in the ski/snowboard biz for 15 years, where some sort of footbed is considered manditory (at least in ski boots) for anyone above beginer level. I had a rough time finding something that worked in snowboard boots s they require some flexability and movement as well as support. Full rigids (and I had free access to every brand made) made my feet KILL, yet I have very high arches and with stock insoles, all of my weight is supported by about 2 square inches per foot. I used to use some 3/4 length rigid foam Dr made customs that are ~25 years old and are very broken down and soft as they offered exactly what I needed in a snowboard boot.

IMO non-rigid mtb shoes are very similar to snowboard boots. You still want some flex and give, and the 'feel' of the pedal, yet some support (difference IMO is the soft uppers offer more room for a footbed that I did not have in performance snow footwear). I always have a set of footbeds in all of my bike shoes and any longer ride on either the road or DH will lead to foot fatigue and ache for me without some sort of decent foot support.

Best thing I have found that is avialable at a reasonable price, can be fully custom, and can be found at a local performance sport store is a footbed called 'SOLE' http://www.yoursole.co.uk/ . These things a dense yet flexable foam (EVA, same as the cushioning in running shoe soles) that can be heat molded to your foot. Depending on your needs, you can then fill the voids under the foot with additional layers of foam to vary the amount of foot support and flexability.

I would look for a higher end running or ski store that has people who do nothing but custom fit work and much experience with custom footbeds. Most of these places are very CS oriented and will guararanty their work...
http://www.yoursole.co.uk/where-to-buy/

hbracca

Chimp
Jun 4, 2008
Eugene, OR
I used to get it pretty bad a few years ago. I was riding a Tank Zeus DH (Huge Taiwanese beast with like 10in travel). When I got a new frame it went away. Turns out the tank had a ton of pedal kickback (along with tons of other issues) so every bump I hit it was rotating the pedals backward into my arch. The Sunday, DH Comp, and my prototype didn't have the same problem. I don't know what frame you have and that might not be your problem, but it would explain why only the front foot gets sore. Just remember..... shoes are cheaper than frames. Good luck.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Ahhh, I think my devinci does have quite a bit of kickback, that might explain it. Certainly if I lift the bike up in the air and then drop it on the ground, the pedals spin backwards a bit..

I did get the same problem a bit on my DHi though, and I think that's a pretty kickback-neutral design.

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
The same thing has been happening with my feet this summer. Thought it might be the worn out 5.10's... soles are getting quite soft. A sturdier insole seems like a good idea... as davep mentioned, the SOLE brand is great, also maybe check out the Superfeet, the pre-molded ones.

Switching to pedals with a bigger platform helped as well.

The kick-back theory is interesting... I ride a Devinci too.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hey, did you ever think you have flat feet (lacking an arch in your foot)? I do. Although I am only 18, I played soccer for 9 years and about half of those my feet ached terribly. If I ride my hardtail all day my feet get sore, and downhill, at the end of they day the get achy and the pain goes on for a while.

Basically, if you have flat feet it can lead to knee relate problems and the bones spread out in your foot. I when to a doctor for orthodics (I am still under parents health insurance), and got some insoles custom molded to my feet. I never have any problems at all. I would suggest not getting the "sport" version intended for cleats because I still had small problems with them due to the amount of flex. It is simple too. All's they did was scan my feet with a laser instrument and I picked up the soles a week later.

It will run you about $300 I think for just the insoles without insurance. But it is well worth it, believe me man.

But I guess first you would have to get them checked out if you really think this is a valid answer or problem.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
'Pedal kickback' is a non-issue if you are moving forward at all. Worst case, you are pedaling and the pawls are engaged. Then there will be a slight increase in force at the pedals (insignificant when comapred to forces already involved with pedaling and absorbing bumps).
If you are coasting at a decent clip as you are 99% of the time DHing, then the wheel is physically disconnected from the drivetrain (cogset, chain, cranks, etc) via the freewheel mechanism. The wheel would have to 'rotate backwards' far enough to engage the freewheel mechanism (as much as 20* on some hubs)and it would have to that at a rate the exceedes the rotational speed of the freewheel relative to the wheel...in otherwords, the wheel would have to catch up to and surpass the freewheeling pawls to engage them and transmit force back up the drivetrain....

And your Willson has very little chain-growth in the grand scheme of thing.

Non-presciption custom footbeds have come a LONG way in the last 5-10 years (commercial biz driven by high end customers looking for every last bit of performance). IMO (and I have used many of both and sold hundreds of OTC versions to replace prescription versions) for the majority of people, the 'over the counter' custom versions like SOLE, conformable, etc are a better product, offering better support, comfort, and performance that the vast majority of what Drs put out...for far less $$.

Of course, this is all contingent on the person doing the diagnosis, fitting, and making of the footbed. It is not unreasonable for a good ski shop to build 5000 footbeds a season...that is a LOT of hands on experience.