Quantcast

Leaking Shimano Brakes

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Remind me again where to look on my Shimano brakes for the leaks...?

I have 785s. The front caliper is covered in oil, and my brake pads are saturated and not providing any bite. The feel at the lever is fine. I will re-bleed, replace the pads, and clean the rotor, but I want to make sure they don't leak again.

Beyond tightening the bleed-port nipple properly, where else should I be looking? The hose-barb connection? Where would the oil be coming out at the pistons? Is there somewhere else I should be checking?

(yes I did look at the Frankenbrake thread, but it's getting a little big now, and I can't figure out how to search through a specific thread...)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Remind me again where to look on my Shimano brakes for the leaks...?

I have 785s. The front caliper is covered in oil, and my brake pads are saturated and not providing any bite. The feel at the lever is fine. I will re-bleed, replace the pads, and clean the rotor, but I want to make sure they don't leak again.

Beyond tightening the bleed-port nipple properly, where else should I be looking? The hose-barb connection? Where would the oil be coming out at the pistons? Is there somewhere else I should be checking?

(yes I did look at the Frankenbrake thread, but it's getting a little big now, and I can't figure out how to search through a specific thread...)
Do you have a park Caliper tool? If you do not a open end wrench will work. Take your pads out and have someone squeeze the lever, while you inspect the caliper and Pistons for leaks. Use the wrench or tool to mimic the rotor. If no leak is found. Inspect the hose for a nick or crack. A leak in the lever can migrate down the hose and contaminate your caliper also.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Shimano calipers suck, you're likely having a leak around the pistons. Get a nice used pair of Magura calipers and fix this issue for good.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How will bleeding fix a leak? Most likely it's the pistons. I suggest putting them in a box with dog poop and shipping them to Shimano USA. It won't save you any money, but the satisfaction you get will be worth every penny.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Shimano calipers suck, you're likely having a leak around the pistons. Get a nice used pair of Magura calipers and fix this issue for good.
Yeah my Brothers Maguras never leak. They never lock up after leaving them in a hot car. Thankfully the pads are easy to come by as they made of the softest material known to man and you will need lots of them.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
How will bleeding fix a leak? Most likely it's the pistons. I suggest putting them in a box with dog poop and shipping them to Shimano USA. It won't save you any money, but the satisfaction you get will be worth every penny.
I suppose it won't... I'm going to take things apart and inspect closely. These are brakes that came on a bike I bought used, that is now 4 years old. I guess I was just asking where I should be paying particular attention. If it is the pistons, I'll have to consider my options. It seems that the least-cost option would be to buy replacement calipers. SLX or ZEE. That should give me enough time to figure out whether I prefer Maguras or Hopes. I'm concerned that Magura parts and service may be hard to come by while travelling...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How will bleeding fix a leak? Most likely it's the pistons. I suggest putting them in a box with dog poop and shipping them to Shimano USA.
I suppose it won't... I'm going to take things apart and inspect closely. These are brakes that came on a bike I bought used, that is now 4 years old. I guess I was just asking where I should be paying particular attention. If it is the pistons, I'll have to consider my options. It seems that the least-cost option would be to buy replacement calipers. SLX or ZEE. That should give me enough time to figure out whether I prefer Maguras or Hopes. I'm concerned that Magura parts and service may be hard to come by while travelling...
Like this? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Shimano-SLX-M7000-MTB-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Caliper-w-Resin-Pads-G02S-J02A-J04C/32966768658.html?spm=2114.search0204.3.18.4c1c2d34zWOlc3&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10065_10130_10068_10890_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10545_10696_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10307_537_536_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103,searchweb201603_52,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=f07cdaac-65fb-4351-86f4-06c393fc0282-2&algo_pvid=f07cdaac-65fb-4351-86f4-06c393fc0282&transAbTest=ae803_4

There was a time when you could get the SLX calipers for something like $25 each, I bought a few, they came with freaking pads. Insanely cheap. But what really gets me is that shimano just expects you to throw away the leaky stuff. They also prevent you from setting up your stuff at the beginning of the season with new seals so that it won't just fail at some inopportune time and possibly kill you. Because of that, F-you Shimano.

According to shimano techs, when I asked them about longevity last month, their response was "you should get a few seasons out of them".

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How can you tell if stuff like something from Shimano is genuine or not on a site like Ali Express?

Serious question. Because that is cheap.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How can you tell if stuff like something from Shimano is genuine or not on a site like Ali Express?

Serious question. Because that is cheap.
Maybe, but I bought the SLX from jenson or something on sale for $25/ea, just saying that it's not uncommon to find the calipers for cheap.

But then again, maybe the fake ones won't leak as much :D

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Simplest way is to look directly at the logo, if it says "Shimano" they're leaking.

Maguras do eat pads, but the pads and calipers are dirt cheap if you order from zee Germans. Comes with a free lever too https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/magura-mt5-disc-brake-front-800mm-incl.-qm26-203mm-adapter-872723

Magura pair for cheap: https://www.bike-components.de/en/Magura/MT5-Carbotecture-Front-and-Rear-Disc-Brake-Set-p45429/

Or SLX for cheaper: https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/BR-M7000-SLX-Disc-Brake-Set-with-G02S-Resin-Brake-Pads-p49987/

It's funny - I have a complete brand new set of SLX brakes gathering dust in my shop - I bought them in 2014, intending to replace those on my Heckler, but it was stolen in March of 2015. I guess I'm all set up if the brakes on the Tracer ever give me grief...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Damn, that's a really good price on those Maguras... I might just go for those. Now I just have to wait to receive my new credit card from Visa my old card number had been compromised and I had to cancel it. thanks for posting.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Have you ordered from these guys before? I've used Bike-Discount a bunch, but these guys have cheaper shipping and it's DHL, so it should be faster. I also curious about the VAT thing, the 19% discount doesn't show up in my car, but if that's true they're crazy cheap.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Have you ordered from these guys before? I've used Bike-Discount a bunch, but these guys have cheaper shipping and it's DHL, so it should be faster. I also curious about the VAT thing, the 19% discount doesn't show up in my car, but if that's true they're crazy cheap.
Not yet. Giving my Guide R one last chance... :banghead:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Should show correctly if you put the shipping country correctly.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
2nd PSA of the thread, Bike-Components.de won't ship Shimano parts to the US as of yesterday afternoon some time. No country specific warnings yesterday, then I couldn't decide between Hope and Formula brakes, now I can't get Shimano stuff from them.

If you need cheap XTR cranks to go with your cheap brakes, or Shimano levers to go with your Magura calipers, you gotta go with Bike-Discount.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks guys, now I've got FOMO. Cart is loaded, and I'm ready to pay. Quick question though, can you run Shimano mineral oil in these? Can you mix the two, or do you have to drain one and replace with the other? I'm asking for when I eventually have to bleed them, as I already have a 2l jug of Shimano mineral oil...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In my experience, run whatever you want. Mine currently have a combo of Magura, Shimano, and Finish Line oil in them, I'm not dead, and my brakes are on the 3rd or 4th set of pads since I last bleed them, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks guys, now I've got FOMO. Cart is loaded, and I'm ready to pay. Quick question though, can you run Shimano mineral oil in these? Can you mix the two, or do you have to drain one and replace with the other? I'm asking for when I eventually have to bleed them, as I already have a 2l jug of Shimano mineral oil...
well, trigger = pulled. Let's see how this plays out.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You ordered the MT5?
Yeah. I was toying with the idea of a MT5 front and MT4 rear (they sell their own MT Trail combo for 5 Euro less than the full MT5), but then I thought back to one of those "mechanic interviews" where Marshy was setting up his own bike, and was questionned about going quad piston front and rear. He said "why would anyone want less braking?!?! - your finger is very capable of fine modulation. You don't need the crutch of less braking power to modulate". The 4-5 combo set-up saves 50g. I figured I'd take the 50g hit, and enjoy the extra power when I need it. I'm a heavier rider anyways (215 lbs buck nekkid), so I think this will be fine. time will tell. thanks for posting the link. :thumb:

Also bought a new front rotor and the post-mount adapter. I hope I bought the right one! :/