Quantcast

learned somthing new today!

I learned that if you nail to a tree it will not kill it. No matter how large the nail. A tree only has a half on an inch that is alive. I always thought that you nail inot a tree it kills it. no matter the size. But a tree needs t obe bigger than 6" so it has enough strength to hold up what you are building. Using a rope to mount to a tree actually has causes more damage than oyu would think. it basically suffocates the tree. Another thing is if you use nails in a forest that will get cut, it is a hazard to the guys cutting, nails can cuase kick back. I guess many hippie activists would spike a whole forest to prevent cutting. If you all knew this already cool, i learned it today in my enviormental science class. My professor was the leader of greenpeace here in the Northwest, we had a chat today about trying to get more trails for us MTBers....hes actualy a good guy for being a greenpicer ;)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
bibs said:
Another thing is if you use nails in a forest that will get cut, it is a hazard to the guys cutting, nails can cuase kick back. I guess many hippie activists would spike a whole forest to prevent cutting.
this is probably the best reason to not use nails. hurting a lumberjack when they go to cut down the forest + illegal stunts is very bad publicity

huckerAJ

Monkey
Aug 8, 2002
dont have access cause your banned you little f@ggot your caught I told U sooooo bihatch

bibs said:
In not advocating anyone to go out and nail trees up I just remeber every one beating up on some one saying they were killing trees. And I always thought thats it did. thats all! ;)
Yeah that was me, at least one of the threads was... Thanks for the info, I don't feel so bad about bracing a few of my stunts. Plus, when the harvesters go to log my trail, they will know which tree's have nails in them because the stunts are attached.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Putting nail in a tree on a tree farm is a good way to get land owners pissed. Brace the stunt with downed timber. If you do it right, you can basically lean the stunt against the tree without actually attaching anything to it. Loggers don't really want to be pulling nails when they're harvesting. Your stunts will still be seen as a danger which mean no more bikes on there property.

Think about it, 27, north bend, tolt-mcdonald, 300th st, duvall, tiger are all working tree farms. It would be horrible if we lost any of these.