Quantcast

learning guitar..

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Just do what a lot of people do. Learn basic chords, and learn how to read tab. Then wow everyone by being able to play only the first part of songs. Then when someone catches onto your scheme, deflect the awkward conversation by starting up the beginning of another song. Preferably, something catchy. Repeat.

Hopefully you can memorize the start of many songs, so that you'll always be prepared if you're at a party with a lot of hot chicks and there just so happens to be a guitar laying around. If you're good enough, and classy enough, you'll only need to know the start of a song, because ladies will be jumping all over you before you have to start the first part of the song over again.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Allow me to introduce you to OLGA....

http://www.olga.net/

I learned to play by taking two lessons, and following chord charts and guitar tablature. The OLGA (Online Guitar Archive) has tablature to thousands of songs. It also has a tablature tutorial and such so you'll know how to follow it.

I am no master guitar player by any stretch of the imagination, but I can play a decent rhythm, and a few leads here and there.

Play till your fingers bleed. Once your fingertips have developed some nice callouses it will be easier to fret the string. And practice alot. :thumb:

What kind of guitar did you get? What style are you learning?

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
The method that is revolutionizing playing and learning is from Line 6 and it is called "Guitar Port".

You buy a little piece of hardware (guitar port) for $100 (pretty cheap) that has USB and plugs directly to your computer and guitar. Once plugged in and a member, you have access to hundreds of tones for downloading and sharing along with downloadable songs, tabs, lessons and more. There are active forums as well.
It is pretty cool.

Check it:
http://www.guitarport.com/

Read all the info and watch the demo vids and all that there is.

ridecruz888

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
well hey...i just bought a little ebook package off ebay, seems pretty cool. heres the email:

Dear Customer:

Thank your for purchasing Play Guitar

Volume 1&2!

The Play Guitar Volume 1&2 e-books are

designed to be used in combination with the

accompanying sound files and videos.

The videos are downloadable from the iPlayMusic

website, and the sound files are embedded within

the e-book.

You should be able to play the sound files by simply

clicking on the speaker icons. However, if you are

unable to play them from within the e-book, they are

also available for download from the website.

For sections where we have included video, you will

follow the download instructions from the iPlayMusic

website and then double click on the specified file once

you have saved it to your computer.

This book is written for the beginning student. Each

section builds upon the previous sections, so it is very

important to take a step-by-step approach.

If you approach the lessons this way, by section 10 you

will have mastered the fundamentals that will enable

you to play songs effortlessly. If you encounter

any questions, please feel free to e-mail our instructors

for personal assistance at instructor@iplaymusic.com.

So, if you’re ready to start playing music, let’s get started!

Now, please go to our iPlayMusic site to download

the Play Guitar Volume 1&2 e-books and videos:

Vol 1: http://www.iplaymusic.com/p3lay6gui9tar32vol1.html

Vol 2: http://www.iplaymusic.com/vol2playguitar2.html

If for some reason you are having any problems, simply

email us at support@iplaymusic.com to receive a new one.

Please let us know if you experience technical problems;

we’re committed to making sure everything turns out

just right for you.

We also wanted to ask you kindly to please go back to

eBay.com and leave us Feedback. As an eBay seller we

depend on feedback to build our business

and the faster we can grow, the sooner we can start to create

new, exciting content for you.

Lastly, sign-up to our newsletter to be the first to know

when we launch new lessons and DVD – click here

Thank you again,

Jennifer Carroll
Customer Service Manager
iPlayMusic, Inc.
sales@iplaymusic.com

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
SLAYER2003 said:
The method that is revolutionizing playing and learning is from Line 6 and it is called "Guitar Port".

You buy a little piece of hardware (guitar port) for $100 (pretty cheap) that has USB and plugs directly to your computer and guitar. Once plugged in and a member, you have access to hundreds of tones for downloading and sharing along with downloadable songs, tabs, lessons and more. There are active forums as well.
It is pretty cool.

Check it:

I agree Line 6 rocks!!
I have a POD XT Live and a GPonline subscription. What a great resource of tones, lessons and backing tracks for $7.99 a month.

I highly recomend any of the POD or Guitar Port hardware.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
www.wholenote.com

http://riffinteractive.com/

there is way too much online stuff, IMO.

learn the names of the strings.
starting from the low E:(the one closest to your face as you hold the guitar)
Every
Acid
Dealer
Gets
Busted
Eventually

learn all your open major chords. (A, B, C, D, E and F which is barred, and G)

Learn the two main Barre chords, based off the low E and A strings.

have fun and start playing with other people as soon as you can. don't worry that anyone is better then you. if they are cool, they will help you get better, if they suck (as in, have a horrible attitude, then you know to not play with them again)

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Craw said:
Just do what a lot of people do. Learn basic chords, and learn how to read tab. Then wow everyone by being able to play only the first part of songs. Then when someone catches onto your scheme, deflect the awkward conversation by starting up the beginning of another song. Preferably, something catchy. Repeat.

Hopefully you can memorize the start of many songs, so that you'll always be prepared if you're at a party with a lot of hot chicks and there just so happens to be a guitar laying around. If you're good enough, and classy enough, you'll only need to know the start of a song, because ladies will be jumping all over you before you have to start the first part of the song over again.
Ha! This pretty much describes my playing, minus the girls. That's what happens when you have ADD and aren't in a band. Oh yeah, and when you're a little short on the whole "talent" part, too, like me. But seriously, playing guitar is an awesome outlet you can do just about any time or place, and it can reflect your mood or be a release. Just worry about enjoying yourself and the playing part should show up in due time.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Curiouscaptian01 said:
dude man screw guitars bget a banjo, that is what I am planing on gettin
That's next for me, too. I'm too uncoordinated to play a mandolin. I have to wonder, though... What's in the water down there for high school dudes to be wanting banjo's? Banjo's don't get ya laid anywhere outside Appalachia.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I think nothing beats having somebody to play with you. You learn the most in the shortest amount of time that way. A program I used to learn is Emedia guitar method. If you go to www.techbargains.com you can find it for around $30 I think. The program is pretty sweet and I feel it's well worth the money. It's helped me tremendously, most of the lessons are play along so you can tell if you got it right.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Could it teach you how to play Slip Knot? Thank God for Slip Knot....

SLAYER2003 said:

It is pretty cool.

Check it:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you have to learn Teen Spirit, of course, 'cause everyone who swears up and down they can play guitar will undoubtedly play Teen Spirit within the first 5mins of picking up a guitar.

i tried learning by looking at, and listening to, Monte Montgomery songs. didn't get very far. there were a couple NOFX songs i could handle.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Play Freebird!

And don't forget to learn the opening riff to Stairway To Heaven. Girls go nuts for that one.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Percussionist here, I gave up the guitar a long time ago. It just wasnt for me. However, as with any musical instrument, I reccomend taking a few lessons so you can learn the basics fast.

ALso, alternate picking... I dont know much about Guitar but I know that crap is IMPORTANT to do from the beginning.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Here's a good website for finding the fingering for pretty much any chord you want to learn.

I suggest you either take some lessons (they're not really that expensive), or take the time to buy some music books on basic music theory. Sure, you can just memorize tabs and play by ear, but to really learn and grow as a musician, you need to know how to read music and understand the dynamics of it all. Keys, chord structure, chord progressions, modes; once you understand basic music theory, you can pretty much play just about any instrument competently in a very short time.

You may ask yourself, "why do I want to learn how to read music and learn music theory when all I want is to look good and score hot chicks?" Well my friend, once you understand song structure, it's pretty easy to fake it with just about any modern rock or pop song, or at least pick it up and play along after hearing it just once. There are a bazillion trillion songs out there, but most songs you hear on the radio follow some pretty basic progressions.

No shortcuts brah, learn it from the beginning.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
the Inbred said:
you have to learn Teen Spirit, of course, 'cause everyone who swears up and down they can play guitar will undoubtedly play Teen Spirit within the first 5mins of picking up a guitar.

i tried learning by looking at, and listening to, Monte Montgomery songs. didn't get very far. there were a couple NOFX songs i could handle.
Wow, is that what you kids are playing these days? When I learned (I'll be 36 in a few months, learned to play when I was 14), the first songs we'd strum out were Owner of a Lonely Heart, Stairway to Heaven, and Iron Man. If my girlfriend weren't in her early 20's, I'd feel pretty ancient right now.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
maybe it's just me and my musical tastes, but i've listened to plenty of skilled musicians and great instrumentalists would likely wouldn't know a bass clef from their arsehole.

then again, i've got records from Half Japanese, The Shaggs, and Beat Happening in my collection. :D

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
narlus said:
maybe it's just me and my musical tastes, but i've listened to plenty of skilled musicians and great instrumentalists would likely wouldn't know a bass clef from their arsehole.

then again, i've got records from Half Japanese, The Shaggs, and Beat Happening in my collection. :D
A lot of what I write just comes out and then I try to figure out just what it is on paper later. The sound is the most important, but to tweak a song to make it just right, it sure helps to know music theory, and it's especially important for someone who is trying to discover whether they have musical talent or not. I do know a lot of musicians who let the academic side of music interfere with the artistry of music, and they forget that music is an art, and that sucks. To create art, you're right, you don't always have to know what key it is or why it works. There are many talented musicians who can't read a lick, or could tell you if they're playing a Gmaj9, or a Bm7, but they know it just sounds right in the song. People who know music, but don't know theory, are just gifted artists. That's a rare person to find. For the majority of the population, it's important to understand more than just what sounds good.

So, that said, unless this guy is the second coming of Jimi Hendrix, he needs lessons and some theory books.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
El Jefe said:
Here's a good website No shortcuts brah, learn it from the beginning.

when I started out to learn the guitar, I wanted to know everything. I wanted to know WHY I was playing something, not just how to play it.

I learned sight reading and music theory. Now when I play with other guys, they look at me like I'm crazy or an asshole. :D

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I agree with El Jefe - learn as much as you can. A few lessons from a good teacher will go a long way... if for nothing else, it can prevent you from forming bad habits that a hard to break...

Ah... olga... great site... :thumb: