Quantcast

Learning how 2 hop on one place

IgorK

Chimp
Dec 6, 2002
I'm on a learning curve and actually I had a bit of a progress today. I can hop a little, 5-7 times maybe, but I feel like I hop too high. My wheels leave the ground to about 5cm. Is that too much or ok?

Also, what about body positioning? I'm I supposed to be between axels?

I have some doubts my setup: I have a Specialized P.3 ('02), but I feel like my stem and bars are too short. When I sit on the bike I'm too far backwards, almost above my rear wheel. Will longer stem and wider bar help me with trials moves?

Thanks a bunch!

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Originally posted by IgorK
I'm on a learning curve and actually I had a bit of a progress today. I can hop a little, 5-7 times maybe, but I feel like I hop too high. My wheels leave the ground to about 5cm. Is that too much or ok?

Also, what about body positioning? I'm I supposed to be between axels?

I have some doubts my setup: I have a Specialized P.3 ('02), but I feel like my stem and bars are too short. When I sit on the bike I'm too far backwards, almost above my rear wheel. Will longer stem and wider bar help me with trials moves?

Thanks a bunch!
leaving the ground 5cm is too much, but if you're just learning then it's ok for now... the important thing is to work on your balance and then you'll lessen the height you need to hop.

I have a 2004 P.2 and it's a pretty heavy bike. When I do backhops I also lean pretty far back and keep the front of the bike a little low at first. That way if I need to shift my weight around I can lift the front end of the bike and move my body in tight to the frame.

I would probably look into getting a longer stem and wider bar for your bike, but you should be able to learn just fine on what you've got for now. I'm just waiting until I get some more money so I can order a TryAll bar to go with the 100mm Azonic stem that I just got on a trade. I'm only going with a longer stem though to help with my leverage on the front end of the bike and to help stabilize me when riding skinnies.

If you're really worried about the setup of your bike, look into getting a different frame. The bottom bracket on the P series bikes is really low and can make some moves a real pain in the arse to pull off.

Good luck!

IgorK

Chimp
Dec 6, 2002
Ok, how do you hop? I found myself lifting one or the other side of a bar to mantain balance. Looks like my hop comes from pushing on pedals that transfer energy to tires. Is that the right way to do it? Also, should I pump up my tires or drop some pressure?

Also, HOW DO YOU PIVOT??? It's driving me mad? I know I need momentum, but what do I do next? What do I push and how do I turn? I can pivot on the front say 45 degrees, but then I loose my balance and fall to the side I pivot to.

PLEASE, HELP IF YOU CAN...

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Originally posted by IgorK
Ok, how do you hop? I found myself lifting one or the other side of a bar to mantain balance. Looks like my hop comes from pushing on pedals that transfer energy to tires. Is that the right way to do it? Also, should I pump up my tires or drop some pressure?

Also, HOW DO YOU PIVOT??? It's driving me mad? I know I need momentum, but what do I do next? What do I push and how do I turn? I can pivot on the front say 45 degrees, but then I loose my balance and fall to the side I pivot to.

PLEASE, HELP IF YOU CAN...
when I'm hopping I balance side to side by moving the rear end of the bike one direction or the other depending on which way I feel like I'm falling. If you drop the pressure in your tires it might make it easier to balance on the rear wheel, but you can get the same effect by practicing in grass and that way you won't risk a pinch flat while you're still learning.

My pivot isn't so great, but I've found that if you roll forward, turn the bars in the direction you want to pivot and hit the brakes just after you turn the bars you'll be able to get farther... best advice there is practice alot and watch lots of videos. This is one area that I've found I'm getting better at by practicing other moves that work on balance.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
For me, the key to learning how to hop in place was balance. I just practiced trackstanding till i could stay put for a really long time, then started throwing in the hops. I was able to control the bike a lot better.

As far as pivots, definitely learn by getting a little speed, turning the front wheel one way, locking the front brake, and throwing the rear out the other way. (not sure if that last one makes any sense, let me know if it doesnt). When you feel yourself losing balance, try to use that as momentum for your next pivot. Seems weird and hard at first, but it will save you in the future.

Wide, trials specific bars make a HUGE difference. I just went back to my urban/trail bike to ride some trials today since my trials bike is down for the count. I have a fairly wide (27" i think) DH bar on that one, and the difference is amazing. Trials specific bars are where its at.

Good luck, enjoy this wonderful sport

Jonathan

IgorK

Chimp
Dec 6, 2002
any specific recommendations for pivoting? just not getting it. Hoping is so-so/better, but no luck with pivoting.

thanks!

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
find a set of stairs, and just practice. keep brakes locked. rock your weight forward and pivot the rear wheel, rock back and move the front wheel up a stair. just practice going up and down the stairs. or just practice on flat ground. practice (with both wheels on the ground) hoping forward, backwards, side to side, and pivoting front and rear wheel independently. it just takes practice. you'll get it. just remember to practice the basics before trying the big moves. get the balance down first.