Quantcast

Learning new software.......

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Maaaaannnnnn...........I'm overloaded.

I've been given an opportunity to advance a bit within the company I work for. It's meant some sh*tty sacrifices----the first being that I had to move to second shift for a few months for a portion of the training process. Sucks.....especially since my g/f works first shift. Even though we live together, I don't see her until the weekend rolls around. That's a real relationship booster, I'll tell you.

The second, and most mind-blowing, is all of the new software programs and processes that I'm having to learn. We build residential/commercial roof and floor trusses, and I'm learning the software associated with the engineering of the trusses. I'm having to be all smart at work now.......where's the fun in THAT!!???? :mumble:

Any of you :monkey:'s out there ever struggle with learning difficult on-the-job-processes or computer software while under the pressures of normal deadlines? I'm about to go crazy, here...........somebody pipe up and tell me I'll live through it........ :thumb:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
What I've learned from my Dad is that there are no sacrifices in life only tradeoffs. If you're sacrificing something, you need to re-evaluate why you're there and doing it in the first place. To me, it sounds like you've got yourself a great deal--the gf will understand and I'm sure you guys will deal with it well.

Me? I graduated from college in June 03 and went to work a few months later doing accounting work. No big deal at the start, I had to learn to use their current payroll and f/s software programs. Interestingly enough, the software they were using was going to be discontinued as of jan 04, so I somehow got put in the position of setting up the new payroll and f/s software programs--talk about really having to learn how things work. After a couple snags, everything works great.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Sucks.....especially since my g/f works first shift. Even though we live together, I don't see her until the weekend rolls around. That's a real relationship booster, I'll tell you.
Can you meet her for lunch during week? :confused:

Any of you 's out there ever struggle with learning difficult on-the-job-processes or computer software while under the pressures of normal deadlines? I'm about to go crazy, here...........somebody pipe up and tell me I'll live through it..
You'll live through it. Just look at it as a TEMPORARY issue that will reward you in the long run. :thumb:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Thanks, folks!!

You're right about that sacrifice-thing. It was a poor choice of wording in the first place. Oh.......I got a great deal, no doubt about that. I've been pushing for it for a few years now.......well, now I've got what I asked for, and it's quite humbling. I've been in the construction industry in one form or another nearly all my life.........it's just a bit mind-blowing how I've gone from reading the blueprints to being the one drawing them. :nuts:

J

JRB

Dude - I lived with our new system being the lead for customer service and turning out to be the lead for shipping. I am supposed to work with the sales guys. If I made it, anyone can. Keep the head up yo.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hey Greyhound -

First off, congrats on your new opportunities. In the short run, all the sacrifices blow, but in the long run you'll be doing better for yourself!

Learning new software is always a challange.. I was dropped into the middle of an Oracle-run company without ever having even seen Oracle before. You'll definitly live through it - just put as much time as possible into simply playing with your new software.

A good resource for anything computer related:
http://www.google.com, and click on "Groups"

Good luck!