Quantcast

Learning to hop on back wheel

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Is it easier to learn on 26" or 20"?

I have been trying to lean on my DS-1. I can pick the rear wheel off the ground without an endo. I have been looking down to set up my first hop, but can't get past 3 to 4 hops. Would buying a mod make it easier to learnm the basics?

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Using a mod bike makes things easier to learn. The bike is smaller and lighter so it is less cumbersome to move around. I would not go out and buy one if you are just looking to find a way to learn moves.

If you can get three or four hops you are doing great. Are you trying to move forward or just stay in one place? Staying in one place you only need to hop a couple of times. Try moving forward at about half a wheelbase every hop. this is the purpose of rear wheel hops. It is so you can manuver through things that are two tight or small to have both wheels touching.

Here are some pointers to help.
Forward hops while on the rear wheel:
This is a difficult move requireing good balance and timing with the brakes, body position, and pedalling.
First get comfortable on the rear wheel.
When you decide to try a forward hop slowly let the front wheel down. Your hips will naturally move back and down.
Your feet will also back pedal slightly, this is ok.
Now all at once you want to pedal and stand up pushing your hips forward. Only pedalling a 1/4 rotation.
Just after you begin to pedal is when you release the brake.
As the rear wheel lifts off the ground push your feet forward in front of you.
Lead with the rear wheel.
Keep the brake locked as the rear wheel touches down.
When the bike touches down it will pivot on the rear wheel to slow the momentum built up by the pedal kick.
You can keep this mometum by letting the front wheel pivot forward leading you right back to the step of lowering the front wheel.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
"If you can get three or four hops you are doing great. Are you trying to move forward or just stay in one place?"

Thanks for your reply?

I Currently I am just trying to hop in place. I feel this is the best way to gain back wheel control before learning to hop forward.

drago52

Chimp
Aug 21, 2004
Eagle-Vail, CO
I learned how to hop on my mountain bike by riding up to a tree, then hopping and thrusting my back wheel forward while my front wheel inches up the tree. Once you get high enough, you can pivot backwards off the tree you are leaning on and learn to hop back away from the tree. Then you can drop the front.

Also, this really helped me learn how to turn and hop forward because you have time to think while you are leaning up against the tree with one wheel on the ground and the other about waist or chest height on the tree.

I learned all my trials on a mtn bike, then transferred to a bmx bike. The brakes suck, but its a LOT easier to move your weight around and control the bike. A rode a mod bike once and it seemed like cheating. It's not of course, but it felt like it anyway.

-Ryan

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Thanks for the advice drago52, I kinda feel the same way about learning on a mod, since I ride mountain bikes exclusively.

I really want to learn to be as smooth as possible and thought the smaller bike might help the cause.

I will give the tree idea a try and let you know hw it all works out.

Thanks again!