Quantcast

Learning trials on a Hardrock?

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I'm almost finished building my old Specialized Hardrock frame up and i'll be using it for urban and local stuff that doesn't require a 40 lb freeride bike. I was thinking about trying to learn trials on it and wanted to know if that'll be harder because of 26" tires and a 16" frame. If it helps any i'll have Hayes mech. disc brakes with 6 inch rotors.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
its the geometry and gearing that make a difference. Good brakes help too. 26" tires are fine, there are more people that ride stock than mod (stock refers to a trials bike with 26" wheels, mod refers to 20". technically its 20" front and 19" rear). Short chainstays, long stem, high bb make for a good trials setup, as well as a rigid fork. Keep your gearing low, I run 22-18, which is only a smidge above a 1:1 ratio. The brakes should suffice for learning since you won't be doing any major rear wheel moves anytime soon. you can definitely learn on a bike like a hardrock, but if you get more into it and want to learn more advanced moves you'll want to look into something more trials specific.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
anything is doable. I learned how to pedal kick on a 45lb hardtail with a 6" dual crown fork... wasn't easy, but it's doable. You can learn trials on almost any kind of bike, but a true trials bike works out best. You'll eventually want to get something with the right setup if you decide you want to get into it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so if i put a chris king on my road bike i could use it to learn trials? :nonono: actually, for just basic trials maneuvers (like pivots) i think you're better off using a lower engagement hub. You getter a better feel for how to move your legs and hips and how to manipulate your center of gravity. Once you learn them, then switch over to a higher engagement hub. you'll learn to be smoother then, and can also quickly progress to doing the moves bigger (larger pedal ups, side hops, pedal kicks, surges, etc)

i've heard of people torquing through them in the middle of doing rear wheel moves. I use hadley trials hubs on my stock. Try-All just released a 108pt, 9 pawl FFW, I'm hoping they will put it in a rear hub as well.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
chris king in the rear is the best tool for learning basic trials moves...
It's overkill really. but you'll want to start out doing bigger moves... Don't! stick with the basics. pivots, track stands. being able to roll through sections rather than trying to hop through them will save you alot of energy and time. once you start learning pedal kicks, gaps, and ups, then a king would help alot.

i've heard of people torquing through them in the middle of doing rear wheel moves
that's if you have a single cog on an aluminium driveshell. if you get the steel driveshell and use a good cog with a wide base you won't have that problem.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
iridebikes said:
anything is doable. I learned how to pedal kick on a 45lb hardtail with a 6" dual crown fork... wasn't easy, but it's doable. You can learn trials on almost any kind of bike, but a true trials bike works out best. You'll eventually want to get something with the right setup if you decide you want to get into it.
Agreed to a point... back in 2000 when I had a GT Lobo DH, I set up a trials section and after a few trys actually made it through. Anyways yes until a certin point, you'll be fine on that bike. And if you decide to get a real trials bike like an Echo or Koxx... moves will start comming out of no where with some practice because of the kind of bike it is.
Hope it works out for you

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Thanks for the help guys. If it matters at all, and from what i've heard it doesn't, i ended up getting avid bb7 disc brakes instead of hayes. Oh, and the hub i have is a Hayes Elite.

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
jonKranked said:
its the geometry and gearing that make a difference. Good brakes help too. 26" tires are fine, there are more people that ride stock than mod (stock refers to a trials bike with 26" wheels, mod refers to 20". technically its 20" front and 19" rear). Short chainstays, long stem, high bb make for a good trials setup, as well as a rigid fork. Keep your gearing low, I run 22-18, which is only a smidge above a 1:1 ratio. The brakes should suffice for learning since you won't be doing any major rear wheel moves anytime soon. you can definitely learn on a bike like a hardrock, but if you get more into it and want to learn more advanced moves you'll want to look into something more trials specific.
ya i have a hardrock too and even though it might be built to ride trials the geometry still isnt but give it a go and see what you can find out about it