Quantcast

Leasing bikes?

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Anyone here know much about leasing a bike? Do all lbs's offer leasing. (norco brand bikes) If so I am assuming they would do a credit check (in which case i'm ****ed) I believe norco does offer financial leasing?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
For sure they'd do a credit check. I haven't heard of any shops around here (Montreal) ever giving financing. Maybe it's too complicated and not cost effective?

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
By the time I could save up our biking season would be almost over. I have my eye on the norco rampage or sasquatch. I want to keep my dh rig too. I hate money :confused:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Mitch
By the time I could save up our biking season would be almost over. I have my eye on the norco rampage or sasquatch. I want to keep my dh rig too. I hate money :confused:
Don't lease... Just ride your DH rig.

If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be leasing it, and if you can afford it, you shouldn't have to lease it.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
It's not that I can't afford it. I just recently started getting into biking so I didn't really save up during our winter for a rig. You have a point though. I geuss I could quit drinking and hitting the bars up and eating...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by Mitch
It's not that I can't afford it. I just recently started getting into biking so I didn't really save up during our winter for a rig. You have a point though. I geuss I could quit drinking and hitting the bars up and eating...
You'll save so much cash if you do that!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Are we talking about leasing like leasing a car where you basically rent for a season and give it back to the dealer? That's stupid, if you can't afford to pay for it at least finance so you'll own it, leases are the dumbest idea ever. Unless you're in the military and you know you'll be moving around alot and don't want to be stuck with having to sell something.

But like others have said it's better to pay full retail for something you can afford than to pay full retail plus interest for something you can't afford. Lots of the bigger shops down here will offer credit although they don't advertise it, usually it's just the same as getting a line of credit through your local bank, you'll have to pay 21% interest and there's only a 30 day grace period. Save yourself the hassle and just put it on your credit card if you need to have it that bad.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I took "leasing" to mean a misuse of "financing". Bikes get beaten too hard to really lease them.

A local guy took out several grand on an unsecured loan to buy a new DH bike this season. Sweet bike but he's gonna pay $5k on a $3500 loan by the time he's done.. which is just absurd.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Financing is what I meant. I was actually thinking about buying a kona cowan frame and puting my parts over from my DH then slowly buy the parts. The crank and all that jazz on my dh would be interchangable right?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
as long as the BB shell is the same width and the spindle is the same length, seat tube is the same diameter, head tube is the same length, chain stays are the same length and you get some new cables everythign should be interchangeable. It's rarely that simple but you're right everything is standardized. I'd suggest getting a second BB, a second handlebar and all the controls that go on the handlebar and a second derailur so that you're not swapping that stuff out all the time.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
I really have no idea. I did some budjeting here. If I lay low and stop partying/hide for 2 months I can out right buy the sasquatch cash. Or at least very close to it. I'll just do that. Maybe work some overtime at my crappy job:eek: