Quantcast

least offensive

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
so went fo a ride w/a guy that recently moved to my area, and he kept fading back when the rollers got a little longer or steaper

and that got me wondering whats the least offensive way to let him catch up: loop back, stop or pedal real slow?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I usualy just sit up and pedal slow, the key is to not speed back up immediately as the person may be gassed just trying to catch up while you are recovered.

What gets me is when someone bonks or is having a bad day and wont get on your wheel for some draft assist. When I can't hang I pull in as tight as possible and do whatever I can not to lose the pull.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hang steaks on their saddles and take them past that yard that always has Cujo hanging out in front.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If they're straight, start hitting on them, touch their ass. That'll give them that second adrenalin rush.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
First, anyone who gets offended by a faster rider should just get over it and use it as inspiration to get faster. There will always be someone faster than you.

That said, slowing down rather than stopping or looping back is probably best, but it depends how far apart you are in terms of strength. If I'm having a really crappy day I would rather have my bros just go ahead at their own pace and wait for me at the next logical place...even if that's the bar at the end of the ride. I don't want my bad day to mean my riding buddies have a crap day too, especially if they are on some kind of training schedule.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, on the road, the safest thing is to slow down. i feel my most vulnerable making an u-turn, which means crossing 2 directions of traffic. road bikes also handle the worst when making a slow speed 180 turn.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
btw, on the road, the safest thing is to slow down. i feel my most vulnerable making an u-turn, which means crossing 2 directions of traffic. road bikes also handle the worst when making a slow speed 180 turn.
good point, but the road yesterday I thought about doing that on...we only saw 2 cars the whole time we were on it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Note to self: never get dropped by Westy & Cujo! ;)

I too would recommend slowing down rather than doubling back...although I tend to not get offended when I get dropped by you fast guys! ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Note to self: never get dropped by Westy & Cujo! ;)

I too would recommend slowing down rather than doubling back...although I tend to not get offended when I get dropped by you fast guys! ;)
I had what appeared to be Stosh's dog charge out at me from nowhere yesterday. It inspired a DIS (Dog Induced Sprint).