Quantcast

Leatt Adventure setup

davedicko

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
Who's running a Leatt Adventure who might be able to give me some setup tips?

I've been running this thing for about 2-3months now and really trying to get used to it, but i just don't think I can ride in it any longer. It seems to be not quite as bad on flatter tracks, but every time I ride it on a steeper track i pretty much ride with the brace in contact with my lid for the whole track. Its just unbearable, and actually I find that it makes my riding sketchier because I'm so aware its there and I don't think I'm looking as far down the trail.

If any of you have any thoughts/tips in setting this thing up it'd be cool, just incase mine isn't set up particularly well. If I can't get it adjusted, I'm selling this thing for sure.

Any help would be cool.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I am biting my tounge a little bit...

Did you do any research at all before buying this? The reason the Adventure is significantly cheaper, is that it lacks adjustment. There are MANY posts all over the internet (probably a dozen+ seperate ones here) about Leatt use on DH bikes, how to properly fit the brace to you body, how the adjustments vary from model to model, how to adjust the adjustable models, alternative pad kits, and how they work with various helmets...

davedicko

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
Yep, did quite a bit of thinking/researching before I bought it and there were quite a few posts/reports that the Adventure would be just fine, as were there plenty of posts that the range of adjustment available from either of the much more expensive models was minute or made a huge difference dependent on who's review/thoughts you read.
Bottom line was I felt it was a great piece of protective equipment, but given the conflicting reports (which is to be expected with something that is very dependent on different people's bodies and riding styles) thought I was best buying the cheapest model to see if it would work for me. Price difference is £180 for Adventure or £325 for the Moto GPX here in the UK which is a massive difference.

I wasn't aware that there was a MTB specific plate for the back part of the brace. Where can I find this thing?
Also, there are loads of reports etc on fitment but many of them are based around the Moto GPX and slamming the rear part which is why I asked specifically about the Adventure. I've read most of them (including a really good report by Si Paton on Pinkbike) but none of them have really been able to help that much. I suspect it probably is the fact that the Adventure just can't be adjusted enough and it doesn't work for me personally. Unless, this MTB specific plate could help.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
I got an Adventure to try out, at the same time the distributor here told me that they had a plate with a different angle for DH.

So I ordered them both, the plate in question is the little carbon plate at the back of the brace.

I didn't feel it helped much, I rode with the brace a couple of times and it just didn't agree with me. The guy I sold it to liked it, and it works for him, so I think it is very individual.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
What helmet are you using. That makes a big difference. I use a giro remedy with the adventure without the straps. I also adjusted the fit a little on the large size. I usually roll my head back once when I begin the trail to position it and then never notice it again.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
if a lot of folks have trouble with lack of adjustments on the base model Leatt brace, who exactly is that model intended for?
certain size dirtbike riders really. I have a club model and had to adjust it a good amount to get it to fit well, but it feels great. I haven't used it for dh though so I can't really comment on that

davedicko

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
Using a Medium Troy Lee D2, and have tried both with and without armour. I'm thinking from the range of responses that it just might not be best suited for DH which sucks. Looks like I'll be looking at the Alpinestars or the more expensive models.