Quantcast

Leatt brace question

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
For those who have had experience with them, I'm wondering what size to get. small is for 4-16 yr olds with a thin build, and medium is for 16+ average to bigger build, women are recomended to use the small.

I don't fit any of those categories very well (except for not being a woman of course). I'm over 16, but i'm a thin-famed 5'10" and about 155-160lb with about 5-7% body fat. I am 'smaller' than a lot of 16 year olds I know, and not a whole lot bigger in terms of neck (about 13.5-14" around at the base) or torso size than a lot of women (go ahead, make a joke). I already wear a size small helmet, gloves, jersey, etc so i'm thinking i might be able to get away with a small brace as well.

any thoughts?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Probably a medium. I would call the US rep's office in Las Vegas and ask them. The contact number should be on the website. Otherwise, email the corporate office in South Africa. Both were helpful when I was ordering mine. You might also be able to find a moto shop that has one to try.

The come with 3 different sized latches to adjust the fore-aft size of the brace. There is also 2 different carbon fiber brackets to attach the spine part. These brackets adjust the angle that the spine part. Watch the fitment video on the website to get a better understanding of what I am refering to.

You really are about the same size as most pro MX racers. I am sure that you can make it fit.

BORN FREE

Chimp
Jan 25, 2008
medium. im 5,9 skinny. and medium fits. the brace comes with different peices that makes it fit your body better

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Not sure is you want to wait. However, you are welcome to check mine out. We are planning a trip to Windrock near the end of April and will be at Massanutten. Your on the East coast, correct?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Not sure is you want to wait. However, you are welcome to check mine out. We are planning a trip to Windrock near the end of April and will be at Massanutten. Your on the East coast, correct?
i am. 15 hrs further north. thanks for the offer though. I'm going to order a med. this week to try out while i'm on vacation in San Diego at the end of the month. if it doesn't fit i'll just send it back since once vacation is over it's back to snowy VT for several more weeks before i can ride again.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
i am. 15 hrs further north. thanks for the offer though. I'm going to order a med. this week to try out while i'm on vacation in San Diego at the end of the month. if it doesn't fit i'll just send it back since once vacation is over it's back to snowy VT for several more weeks before i can ride again.
But the real question is...is it available in argyle?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
So, after a lot of adjusting and trying out various setups i've got the Leatt adjusted comfortably and held firmly in place even while wearing it with my TLD armor and jumping around like a kid on speed. With a few easy modifications to my jersey, some really good self adhesive velcro, and part of the included retention strap i've managed to get 90% of the brace and the strap to fit under the jersey without looking like quasimoto or stretching out the neck, the lower thoracic member to fit under my back plate, and can get it all on and off in a few seconds.

if anyone is interested i can post some pictures and a better description of what modifications were made

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
That EVS model looks nice for $170, but it doesn't appear to be adjustable like the Leatt Brace. For DH and even MX I need the ability to raise and lower the front and back plates. Those are the areas that your helmet contacts in the event of a crash. For DH I run the back a lot lower so I can get my head up while descending. For MX I run it higher because you just aren't going down hill that much.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Sorry for the Myspace-esque quality of the photos, but school was canceled today so I'm home alone on a Wednesday afternoon.

Forgive the shirtless picture, but it's worth pointing out to those who keep saying the brace can break your collar bone that when set up correctly it comes no where near your collarbone. there is a good 1" gap and the brace is supported by the muscles of your upper back, shoulders, and chest. As others have stated in a previous threads, chances are if you break the bone with the brace on it would have happened without it.

Make 2 clean cuts to your jersey, 6" on the front and 4" on the back. best to put the brace on over the jersey first and mark where to cut before getting started, and cut shorter if anything; you can always widen the hole later. Good jerseys can be cut without unthreading or tearing, but if you are handy with a sewing machine you can always run a quick stitch around everything to be safe.

TLD armor works great because the back plate is already open on top and acts like a perfect 'pocket' for the lower member of the brace. to keep everything in place later i added some good self adhesive velcro to the inside. i used this same stuff on my swingarm all year and it never budged. you can get it almost anywhere.

Put the other half of the velcro on the lower part of the brace. the stuff i'm using has 'hooks' in only one direction so everything slides in easily but can't come out without pulling.

I installed the support strap to the front of the brace only. The rear will be held in place by the velcro.

Put armor and jersey on first as you normally would, then put the brace on. Get the back support into the back plate first (super easy actually, it's never taken my more than 2 trys) then close the brace. take the support strap and front support member of the brace and stuff it through the slit in the front of the jersey. roll up the bottom of the jersey and secure the strap around your chest. since it's on top of the armor i can't even tell it's there.

i could have cut the slit a bit higher, but this was an old jersey i used just to test out different setups.

token mirror shot #2

To take it off do everything in reverse. I can get it on and off in probably under 30 seconds total.

i tried the brace on over just a t-shirt with the retention strap set up properly (attached to the front and the back) and as pictured above with no noticeable difference in feel. despite my best efforts i can't get it to bounce around or come loose.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Thanks for posting those pictures Lee. Now I won't be the only one around wearing a Leatt brace this season. Once mine comes in this week, i'll try out a few of your tips.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I'm really really tempted to pick one of these up. I usually don't wear much gear other than a roost guard but a fall last season has me reconsidering. Thanks for posting these pictures up Lee. Whats the weight like?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
you will not even notice the weight when you are riding.
Agreed. the weight is pretty evenly distributed and supported by your chest and upper back/shoulders rather than feeling like is hanging from around your neck. after a few minutes you don't even realize it's there.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Lee, do you think it'll stay as well put if it doesn't have upper armor to tuck into? It seems like a solid investment, but I wonder if it'll work as well with my jersey-esque spyder armor.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
If you don't have armor to hold it in place, the supplied strap will do the trick. Most of the pro MX riders don't wear chest protectors for supercross. They use the strap to hold it down.

My Fox roost guard holds it down nice for MX. The 2008 Rockgardn jacket I have holds it even better.

Lee: Thanks for posting up the pics. I never thought of cutting slits like that. Good idea

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I bought a leat brace yesterday and when I fitted it in house everything seemed ok. But I used while riding today and it sucked pretty much most of the time. In the lowest position of the rear part I dont get enough clearance and I cant look ahead enough. I tried tilting it backwards and then I could get enough clearance but that only lasts about 5 meters, then it slides back to the position it is supposed to be and I cant look ahead any more.

Here are 2 photo's.

Maybe my neck is too short or my positioning on the bike is a bit strange.

Any suggestions?

This is a print screen of cedrics run at fort william, I have the idea that he is constantly against the rear of the brace.

Last edited:

be350ka

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
I bought a leat brace yesterday and when I fitted it in house everything seemed ok. But I used while riding today and it sucked pretty much most of the time. In the lowest position of the rear part I dont get enough clearance and I cant look ahead enough. I tried tilting it backwards and then I could get enough clearance but that only lasts about 5 meters, then it slides back to the position it is supposed to be and I cant look ahead any more.

Any suggestions?
I have been using the Leatt this year and have not found mobility or lack of vision a problem. Maybe you don't have the rear brace in its lowest position. If you take all of the padding off of the brace you will see that the bolts on the back brace thread into a metal insert on a plastic "nut". This nut is oblong shaped and can be rotated 180* to allow for further adjustment.

I have done this with mine and can honestly say that there have been FEW times where I felt as if I was limited on mobility. Having said that, none of these occasions have left me feeling like the brace would cause an issue with my vision and ability to see the terrain.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I already had turned the nut around, it gave a bit more clearance but not enough.

Yesterday I was constanly against the brace and had to use my eye balls to look ahead.

Apart from the fact that it costed a lot of money and I am wondering if the shop will take it back I apparantly saw the need in a neck brace and I would really like it to work for me.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
have you tried using the straps? they help hold it in place and keep it from hitting you in the back of the head when you ride. i could run mine w/out the straps if i ran the rear part as low as possible but with them i have been able to move it up almost half way.

keep trying different adjustment, between the different spacers and the 2 rear pieces i think it works out to something like 18 different configurations before you even begin playing with the pad height.

also, i'm assuming you have a medium?

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I did the same with mine only I'm not running the chest strap. I have it on a 661 pro pressure suit with the back tucked under the spine protector and the front sitting on top of the chest plate. So far I haven't had any problems with it, barely even notice its there unless I try to look down at the bike or really REALLY far down the trail.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
I did the same with mine only I'm not running the chest strap. I have it on a 661 pro pressure suit with the back tucked under the spine protector and the front sitting on top of the chest plate. So far I haven't had any problems with it, barely even notice its there unless I try to look down at the bike or really REALLY far down the trail.

Are you using the straps with that set up? Over the jersey?

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I tried some more adjusments and got some more clearance. I put on the 10degree plate with spacers on both sides, that way it has gotten wider and so it sits a bit lower in the back. On the parking lot it seems like enough, just have to see how it works out on the trail next weekend.
I used it with the strap all the time, haven't tried with armor yet.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
@ chriskring, How do you use the brace with the Rockgardn flack jacket?
Is the front underneath the armor? do you use the strap?

116CJ

Chimp
Jul 1, 2008
SLC
i plan on trying to ride with mine this weekend but i think its going to be alot more noticable than it is on the mx bike.

yentna

Chimp
Jun 22, 2005
Has anyone tried the Evo model? It doesn't look like it's adjustable, but I'm just wondering if it naturally allows enough movement to see ahead clearly...