Quantcast

Leatt Brace Questions

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Hey,

Yesterday I recieved my Leatt Club GPX in the post, spent about an hour setting it up and I am very happy with it. Seems like an excellently made bit of kit, hardly noticeable when it's on and I can't wait to try it out on the bike this weekend. Just had two quick questions though.

1) There was some talk going round that if you were to trip and fall while wearing the neck brace but not a helmet, the brace could act as a fulcrum on your neck and actually promote a spine injury. Does anyone know if this is bull or not? I can't see anything in the manual or the website, which I would fully expect if it were the case, but as it's not out of the question that you could fall while walking or checking out a steep track, I thought I'd ask.

2) Not specifically to do with the brace, but I've gone down the road of making a slit in my jersey to fit the thoracic strut down the back of my spine guard. It works fine, but just with trying it on in the house the fabric has already started to pull apart in the vertical direction, if you know what I mean? The jersey is a vintage Royal number and it seems to have a slightly different weave to most jerseys, so I'm wondering if there was a brand or brands that use fabric that wont pull apart so easily?

Cheers in advance for any replies,

Mark

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Mark

1) you could trip and break your neck at any moment anyway.. be careful now ;P

2) learn to sew

3) you make me feel very old referring to any Royal product as "vintage"

I used take the slit in the jersey approach but I discovered that with a bit of manipulation you can stretch the jersey collar to fit over the brace.

I put it over the back first, then over the front, and finally lift the sides up above the clasps.

Seems to be working with a few of my different brand jerseys.

JT

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Mark

1) you could trip and break your neck at any moment anyway.. be careful now ;P

2) learn to sew

3) you make me feel very old referring to any Royal product as "vintage"
1) This is true, that's why I don't want a helping hand when it comes to breaking my neck. :P

2) Yeah I'll give that a shot tonight, but if I don't need to do that then all the better. Think of the wasted thread, think of the environment, think peace.

3) Well it was the first riding top I bought I think, it's vintage as far as I'm concerned!

I used take the slit in the jersey approach but I discovered that with a bit of manipulation you can stretch the jersey collar to fit over the brace

I did gave that a shot, ended up trussed like a turkey, but I might gave it another try. :)

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Just out of curiosity, is there a real reason to run the Leatt under a jersey? Seems to me that the obvious solution is to put it on over your jersey. That way you don't have to do any cutting or stretching and you'll have a non-mangled jersey for times when you don't need the brace...

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Just out of curiosity, is there a real reason to run the Leatt under a jersey? Seems to me that the obvious solution is to put it on over your jersey. That way you don't have to do any cutting or stretching and you'll have a non-mangled jersey for times when you don't need the brace...
The back portion needs to be under your spine protector.

I have tried the stretched neck option. Trust me, cut a slit in your jersey.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Well, I tried out my Leatt today and I am chuffed with it, I genuinely don't notice it at all when riding and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside coming into tight trees. :)

Anyway, any more opinions on the potential neck breaking without helmet rumours? I suppose I should put this up on Leatt-Chat on their site but given the amount of folk on here I thought I might get a response quicker.