Quantcast

Leave it up to ZonicMan!

X-post from the DHForum::::

Ugh! How does he do these things?!

Gotta love it. Everytime that Bullit, or any bike for that matter, of his rolls into the shop, I know I am in for a treat.

A treat in the fact that something, somewhere, on his bike all buggered up and I gotta figure out a way to make it hold up and perform for his rather 'rambuntious' riding style.

Todays treat: "Why does my front Hayes hydro feel like it has a leak?"

The Syptoms: Grab the brake lever and pull it towards the bar. It begins to get a good solid feeling, but then it hits a certain threshold and starts to slowly come all the way to the bar.

Diagnosis: Sure seems like a small hole somewhere in the system that is letting fluid bleed out slowly under a good amount of pressure.

Problem with Orig. Diagnosis: There aint no puddle of brake fluid showing up anywhere!!!!

A quick phone call to Hayes after the initial inspection received the standard, "Rebleed the system and call us back. It sounds like it needs to be rebled." Figures! Stupid answer.

So I go ahead and set everything up for a bleed session.

Bleed the system a good couple of times. But yet it still feels the same. Like there's some small hole leaking. But yet still no puddle of brake fluid.

So I close the system and pull the lever really hard a few times.

And KABAMM! PHSSSSSSSSSS!!! Fricking DOT 4 everywhere! My face. My clothes. Shoes. Painted shop floor. Everything within a ten foot radius got a nice coating of DOT 4 fluid.
Luckily I somehow managed to snap my eyes shut fast enough to keep them from swimming in DOT4 fluid.

Prognosis: The inside "sock" of the Hayes brake line, which I beleive I have been told is a kevlar sock, seems to have split for some unknown reason. But not the outter rubber coating.
So what was happening was the fluid was leaking out of the kevlar inside sock but was being held in between the sock and rubber outter coating, filling the rubber coating up slowly, like a balloon! Untill finally it hemoraged and burst and blew a vain of DOT 4 Fluid all over the shop.

The Fix: New brake line Jonny!

Moral of the Story: Where saftey goggles next time idiot! And an Apron!

Thanks to ZonicMan for yet another lesson in Bike Maintanence.