Quantcast

Leavenworth

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yo. Some friends and I are thinking about setting up a trip to Leavenworth, WA for some bike riding. We have a load of questions, and all of this is really preliminary, but one of the biggest questions is:

Is it shuttle-able?

I just watched Pedal Driven, and figured that things must have only improved since that movie was put together. What's the latest?

The group is split between those of us willing to pedal up, and some others who are less willing...

Not even sure if this is quite the right forum, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to start here.

Thanks.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
There are shuttle trails up in Leavenworth, some have been shut-down in recent years as you saw on Pedal-Driven. If you drive down to Cashmere (same valley as Leavenworth) there are some serious mtb rides - Devils Gulch & Mission Ridge. 3500ft climb over 12 miles. You can go up the road or trail. Theres a parking lot at the top if you drive around the backside to bee hive reservoir.

I'm not in the know - haven't lived up there since 2006. The guys at Das Rad Haus (bike shop in leavenworth) should be knowledgeable and friendly. They may be able to show you tres amigos - a great shuttle trail - or others I don't know about. Xanadu is a shorty but goodie, probably a ten mile loop with some big berms and fall line ridge descending. I haven't shuttled it before though, just pedaled up it

When are you thinkin?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
There are shuttle trails up in Leavenworth, some have been shut-down in recent years as you saw on Pedal-Driven. If you drive down to Cashmere (same valley as Leavenworth) there are some serious mtb rides - Devils Gulch & Mission Ridge. 3500ft climb over 12 miles. You can go up the road or trail. Theres a parking lot at the top if you drive around the backside to bee hive reservoir.

I'm not in the know - haven't lived up there since 2006. The guys at Das Rad Haus (bike shop in leavenworth) should be knowledgeable and friendly. They may be able to show you tres amigos - a great shuttle trail - or others I don't know about. Xanadu is a shorty but goodie, probably a ten mile loop with some big berms and fall line ridge descending. I haven't shuttled it before though, just pedaled up it

When are you thinkin?
Thanks for the reply.

We haven't nailed down any details yet, but it would likely be early July next summer. Pretty hot around those parts that time of year, I bet. Not ideal for soul crushing climbs...

I'd heard that the Rad Haus was the place to "get in the know". Only thing is, I'd want to get most of the details down before we make the trek out for the trip.

We've all got DH bikes and trail bikes, but would only take the most appropriate for the trip. We rode Lillooet 2 summers ago and that was a hoot. I'm guessing it would be comparable?

We're weighing some options at this point, but a couple of the guys are really keen on Leavenworth. But being from Vancouver, dealing with a long drive AND a border crossing is a consideration.

Other options are Retallack, or the Sunshine Coast. It will be hard to go too far wrong, but I'd rather avoid driving all the way out there to find out that the trails are all impossible to find/closed/not as good as advertised, etc...

I'm sure there are trails that are awesome beyond description in Leavenworth, it's just the accessibility that I'm worried about.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
These people could probably tell you alot more pertinent info than I can > http://centralwashingtonevergreen.wordpress.com/

I'd pick the Sunshine Coast after what my friends who've ridden there have relayed to me. Early July is a good time to be in the mountains but not in the low land desert. Some of the big mountain rides around here are still under 5+ feet of snow 4th of July, at least in years past. If we don't start getting moisture soon it'll be a short winter. Most of the epic rides that I can think of are for trail bikes. The Lake Wenatchee area has well known trails, as is Devils Gulch/Mission Ridge area. Highway 410, near Mt. Rainer is chock full of epic long saddle day rides. Mt. St. Helens area has some great trails. Also look up Pot Peak / Devils Backbone. That's near Lake Chelan and is high in the scale of epic rides. Not many of these trails I am talking about are shuttle trails though.

I haven't ridden in Canada except for a day at the Bike Park in Whistler, so can't comment on whats better where. Not into the DH/shuttle scene much so not going to be of much help there either.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Eastside is more fun on trail bikes, imo.

Devil's Gulch is awesome. You can shuttle it. Most of the shuttles out there are not too efficient. Shuttle bitch is key. There are a ton of ripping, narrow trails that flow for 10 miles out there.

You going to be camping? Or rooms? Depending on the size of your crew, you a probably better off renting a summer house. Last time I was out there, we got a dope house with big screen, hot tub, pool table, patio, bbq, baller kitchen.

Foggy Dew is one of my favorite trails out there.

I primarily ride DH, and think wet side has some of the best DH trails in the world. We are kinda lacking on the 20 mile DH, ripping ribbon of singletrack, and Leavenworth area has those in spades.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I think we'd likely be going for rooms wherever we go. We'd probably wind up being about 5 or 6 guys, so I think you're onto something with the house idea.

I'd just like to make sure we can get to all the trails we decide to put on our hit list before actually trekking out there.

We were discussing what bikes to bring yesterday. There is still a bit of a divide amongst us, but I'm sure we'll work it out! The trail in the vid I posted was def a trail that could easily be ridden on a little bike, but probably way more fun on a bike bike.

Is this the Foggy Dew you're talking about?