Quantcast

Leaving for Paris on Friday.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
And don't act like a dumb ass arrogant American teen. Remember, when traveling you represent not only yourself but your country as well. I know it sounds corny but often times people form opinions about foreigners through the tourists they meet.

Of course if you like we can trade... I'll go to Paris and you fix the computers. Hell, I'll even pay you.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Keep in mind that Paris is not really -representative- for the rest of France. Personally I like the non-Parisians a little more.

But prepare yourself for a cultural avalanche.
(Note: NOT the Avalanche Cult...:nopity: )

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Yeah, I spent a few weeks down in the south and it was completely different (ah, for another week in juan le pin.....)

It's like going to NYC and then Texas, completely different and culture.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Austin Bike said:
Yeah, I spent a few weeks down in the south and it was completely different (ah, for another week in juan le pin.....)

It's like going to NYC and then Texas, completely different and culture.
:stupid: Paris was a bit crazy compared to the time we spent in the Bordeaux region. Of course, I'd liken that to comparing NYC with Napa Valley. :D

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Hey hey, the hostility is rampant!?

Let me re-phrase. Im not disappointed or anything, I can just think of other places that Id like to go, and spending Christmas in a total foreign place kind of takes away its traditional charm and sentimental value. However Im very gratefull that my Mom has desided to take us!

My sister says that Parisians are different from the average French man.

I am excited to see the Louvre, and supposodly there is a museum of the dungeuns in Paris filled with piles and piles of human bones from the plague. MMmmmmm. We are also going to see a few castles and monestarys. I dont plan on going any where without my translator (sister) and will take a bunch of pictures.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
mack said:
Hey hey, the hostility is rampant!?

Let me re-phrase. Im not disappointed or anything, I can just think of other places that Id like to go, and spending Christmas in a total foreign place kind of takes away its traditional charm and sentimental value. However Im very gratefull that my Mom has desided to take us!

My sister says that Parisians are different from the average French man.

I am excited to see the Louvre, and supposodly there is a museum of the dungeuns in Paris filled with piles and piles of human bones from the plague. MMmmmmm. We are also going to see a few castles and monestarys. I dont plan on going any where without my translator (sister) and will take a bunch of pictures.
The Crypts. I went down there when I was there, just miles and miles of bones. Pretty interesting experience.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
.:Jeenyus:. said:
The Crypts. I went down there when I was there, just miles and miles of bones. Pretty interesting experience.
The Catacombs, actually. The bones of like 5 million people buried there.

My Wife went to Paris for x-mas 2 years ago with her parents. She had an absolute blast! She went to the catacombs which she said were extremely cool.

Sure we were apart for the holidays but it was an experience too valuable to miss. How many times in your life will you get to experience x-mas in Paris?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
holding steady at one.

will likely be my final tally. :)
But you did many holidays in Ireland. Which reminds me... I spent this past halloween in Ireland. Kids running around with eggs everywhere. It was pretty fun.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
were they blasting off fireworks? seemed like a popular activity around that time.
No fireworks. We were in Dingle and the adults were at the pub and the kids were throwing eggs and running the streets in packs. They didn't seem too interisted in Trick Or Treat. Maybe fireworks at halloween is more of a Dublin thing? I also heard that bonfires were popular at halloween but we saw none.

Still had an awsome time though.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
SkaredShtles said:
I'm sure it's *better* than Napa. :rolleyes: :D
Nah, just BIGGER than Napa.

There's a bumper sticker that says "Texas is Bigger than France" and my wife commented "yeah, we'll Rosie O'Donnell is bigger than Pamela Anderson, what's your point?"