Quantcast

Leaving your bike on the Workstand

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
is it bad to leave your bike on the workstand for multiple weeks. Does it matter what angle you put the clamp at? I have it at angle similar to the seatpost angle. Can this warp or damage anything by leaving it up on it for 2-3 weeks? Sorry about the N00b ? but i had to send in my fork to fox and didnt know what else to do with it. Thanks:)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Assuming it's a decent clamp and not some half-assed home-made jobber, I wouldn't think so. I leave mine clamped at the seatpost for several weeks at a time and never had any problems.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Upside-down is a bad idea, particularily with hydraulic disc brakes. Any air in the reservoir could get in the lines that way.

You won't see professional mechanics flip bikes upside down for that reason.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
its not up side down its just not straight up and down the bike is up side up and the clamp is at about the same angle as the seat post. BTW the stand is a Wrench force.It was around 160 buck so i think its pretty well made. btw thanks for the input:)

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
i wouldnt worry about it, if you are, i would hang it by the rear wheel from a ceiling hook or something. air in the caliper is the same as having it in the line, it dosent matter where the air bubbles are in the system, if there is air in the caliper your going to need to rebleed anyways.

jdp526

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
I just received a new Ultimate consumer stand so I put my bike on it to see how well it holds. Takes several seconds to screw down spinner, but stand and clamp mount see to be very strong.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
jdp526 said:
I just received a new Ultimate consumer stand so I put my bike on it to see how well it holds. Takes several seconds to screw down spinner, but stand and clamp mount see to be very strong.
I have the BRS-80 Ulitmate Pro stand and I'm not sure if the clamps are the same but the one on mine takes just a few (four maybe) turns to engage/ disengange.

It's a great design that only takes a few turns to loosen, at which point you can pull it backfreely .

jdp526

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
jvp, I bought the BRS-70 and it has a larger spinner handle to close the clamp, but it probably has the same quality stand. I am very impressed with the quality, especially since its collapsable.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
ThePriceSeliger said:
I have left my downhill bike in a stand for over 2 months. No problems.
if it has been on the stand, how do you know there are no problems? it might fall apart when you take it down and ride it :cool:

Ononecog

Chimp
Mar 23, 2006
Only a broken bike should hang from a hook or sit clamped in a stand for days and/or weeks at a time

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
It'll be fine. If it can hang for a few hours by the seatpost, it can hang there for a while. As long as it's not in danger of being smashed by cars, knocked over, or being exposed to harsh weather, it'll survive. Good luck with the fork.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
sanjuro said:
Upside-down is a bad idea, particularily with hydraulic disc brakes. Any air in the reservoir could get in the lines that way.

You won't see professional mechanics flip bikes upside down for that reason.
Source?

I've never had a problem. Air in the reservoir = air in the line, it doesnt matter where it is.

For the most part, you won't see professional mechanics flip bikes upside down because they have them there fancy bike stands.