Quantcast

leftover Rome pictures: the people

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok, this thread (at least part of it) is is for mancil, doug, and the other RM horndogs...i did a fair bit of people viewing while on vacation, and surreptious snapping...these are some of the decent views on exhibit.

the second part of the thread is comprised of photos i'd overlooked on my 1st posting.

on the roof of castel sant'angelo:

some random brazilian woman @ piazza navona:

who knew the air required a mask?

shoppers:

practical shoes for scootering:

my most stealth pic...taken w/ my wide angle at my waist level while walking by...i think it came out OK.

a couple of hotties strolling in the popolo square:

ok, on to the less prurient photos.

turtle and bird (coot?), hanging out:

nice hairstyle...

this is fashion sense? (i think he had a green belt, too)

the rare combover, caught in mid-flight:

who knew ted nugent lived in rome?

claudio chiappucci has seen better days:

deniro's cousin:

fascist bridge ornament:

mafioso summer cabin:

cityscape, at dusk:

ferraris are so fast you can only see their lights:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
my most stealth pic...taken w/ my wide angle at my waist level while walking by...i think it came out OK.
:drool:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Good stuff Narlus. Kinda ironic those skinny chicks eating McDonalds in Rome nonetheless! What the hell - isn't Rome one of the Culinary capitals of the world - and they choose the Golden Arches for lunch.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
narlus said:
a couple of hotties strolling in the popolo square:
do you think that chic with a camera posted a picture of you somewhere??..ha.. ha...ha... nice pictures .that is the way to start a morning...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Konabumm said:
what kind of camra do you have?
canon digital rebel XT. got it for christmas last year, and i've already taken over 12,000 photos...

btw, in case you are interested in details around any particular photo you may see on the intarweb, opanda makes a nifty browser plug-in that lets you see the EXIF data (info like camera used, settings, focal length, ISO, etc) provided they are still embedded in the image.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
actually, it's a pretty reasonably priced DSLR...canon just ended their rebate program, and you could have gotten a body w/ kit lens for close to $600 i think...the real expense is in the glass...in the 7 months since i got the camera, i've purchased 4 more lenses, and would ideally like a couple more at least...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Good pics.

I liked the stealth one and the lady putting on the mask.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
actually, it's a pretty reasonably priced DSLR...canon just ended their rebate program, and you could have gotten a body w/ kit lens for close to $600 i think...the real expense is in the glass...in the 7 months since i got the camera, i've purchased 4 more lenses, and would ideally like a couple more at least...
Yeah, it's reasonable for a DSLR... but it's still not cheap. For most of the public, you can get a 12x zoom digicam that will take the exact same pictures for $300-350... while the Rebel XT is roughly $650 for 55mm of reach.

You know that I know why one should have a DSLR, just saying that it's a lot more camera than most people need for their snapshots :)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
binary visions said:
Yeah, it's reasonable for a DSLR... but it's still not cheap. For most of the public, you can get a 12x zoom digicam that will take the exact same pictures for $300-350... while the Rebel XT is roughly $650 for 55mm of reach.

You know that I know why one should have a DSLR, just saying that it's a lot more camera than most people need for their snapshots :)
i must protest. dSLRs can take shots that compact cams simply can't. depth of field control, high iso/fast lenses/low noise, extremes of focal lengths...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
i must protest. dSLRs can take shots that compact cams simply can't. depth of field control, high iso/fast lenses/low noise, extremes of focal lengths...
...and, like a $3000 bike, that only matters for a tiny percent of the population. I know why a DSLR is better, Toshi, I've been a hobbiest photographer for years. But for most people, it just isn't any better. It's bulkier, more expensive, and for them the pictures aren't any better.

Higher ISO? Sure, and most people put it on "green square" mode and don't even know they can set the ISO. Extreme focal lengths? Most people don't care that much about wide angle, and cameras like the new Sonys/Canons/Panasonics offer 400+ mm of focal length, WAY more than average people can afford in a DSLR lens. Digicam glass is quite often very fast, my F717 is 2.0 and drops only to 2.4 fully zoomed (200mm).

The people who know why it's better, don't look at a $600 DSLR and say "Wow, that's expensive." Of course it's better when you want full photographic control... but digicams are light years more advanced than non-SLR film cameras ever were, and take care of 95% of the population's needs better than a DSLR.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah - but most people who want to take snapshots could give a rat's ass about those things. :D
ok ok, point taken for the green square crowd.