Quantcast

Lefty clunk

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have a Lefty Max SPV+ on my 2005 Prophet 1000. It clunks. It seems to happen in the middle of the travel and it's stronger and louder on the rebound.

The shop or I have taken the spring and cartridge out, changed the spring, greased the internals, checked the SPV pressures, checked the headset bearings...basically, it's almost assuredly something with the internals. It's been happening for about a year and it's getting very, very annoying. I am otherwise happy with the fork, but this is killing me.

Any ideas?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
It seems some more in-depth mtbr searching indicates that the culprit is likely an issue with air and oil mixing and possibly a bad o-ring.

Any tips on lefty rebuilding? I do all my own suspension servicing, but I am not well versed in the intricacies of the Lefty. I'm guessing a full rebuild is going to be harder than with my Shiver, which is the easiest fork to work on ever.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wrote a bunch of instructions how to rebuild that exact lefty on MTBR.com. The Cannondale forum are a bunch of experts on the lefty as well.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
It seems some more in-depth mtbr searching indicates that the culprit is likely an issue with air and oil mixing and possibly a bad o-ring.

Any tips on lefty rebuilding? I do all my own suspension servicing, but I am not well versed in the intricacies of the Lefty. I'm guessing a full rebuild is going to be harder than with my Shiver, which is the easiest fork to work on ever.
Sq-Earl generally does all of our suspension servicing too, but we sent my lefty out for service and it came back as smooth as butter (and with adjustments). Sorry :(