Quantcast

Lefty Stem Options...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ok, got an actual bike related question here and since this applies neither to XC nor DH and no one ever goes to the tech form, its getting asked here.

Cannondale's lefty steerer tube is bigger than standard steerers. BUT its not a 1.5. Any C-Dale riders know of any stem options available for these things, cause one thing I wont ride without is a beefy stem and the one on the model of Prophet I want looks like crap too.

Tanks!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i have no clue but shirley there are some beefy stems for the out there. Chase and Gracia both rode/ride the lefty fork so there has to be some options. Why did you pick that particular bike over the other options?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
i have no clue but shirley there are some beefy stems for the out there. Chase and Gracia both rode/ride the lefty fork so there has to be some options. Why did you pick that particular bike over the other options?
Riding it was great. Never felt so good on a bike.

I realized that there is no way to have a TRUE all around bike, so instead of getting a heavy ass FR bike to lug around on trails, which is mostly what I ride, Im going to get this bike to cover MOST all the riding I do, and then save up for a new DH bike this summer.

EDIT: just so you know, I can FR on the thing, just cant be doing 10 footers. This article is what sold me http://www.nsmb.com/gear/cannondale_prophet_09_04.php

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Man, I am SOOOOO glad they designated which shock mount hole is for freeride and which one is for XC. Without that I would have been so confused. Now if someone could tell me which tires and grips to run for each (FR and XC).

Lame... :rolleyes:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
profro said:
Man, I am SOOOOO glad they designated which shock mount hole is for freeride and which one is for XC. Without that I would have been so confused. Now if someone could tell me which tires and grips to run for each (FR and XC).
Lame... :rolleyes:
Yeah! Information is dumb, especially for products sold by seasonal, minimum wage employees. While we're at it lets get rid of torque settings, shock set up instructions, and sell unassembled bikes. If you don't know everything about cycling we don't want you around!

J

JRB

I was going to tell you, but you ignore me all the time. :eviltongu

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
dan-o said:
Yeah! Information is dumb, especially for products sold by seasonal, minimum wage employees. While we're at it lets get rid of torque settings, shock set up instructions, and sell unassembled bikes. If you don't know everything about cycling we don't want you around!
Info like torque setting and shock setup instructions are totally different from a setting on your bike that tells you are riding either a XC bike or a FR bike depending on whihc hole you have the shock bolt in.

Whats next, an indicator light telling you your're in 'haul' mode when the seats in your SVU are down?

:stosh:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Uh, I dont really get the problem with that Profro. I mean, how is that any different than a gear indicator on your shifter? If someone....

nevermind. Its fine.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
profro said:
Info like torque setting and shock setup instructions are totally different from a setting on your bike that tells you are riding either a XC bike or a FR bike depending on whihc hole you have the shock bolt in.
Just 'cause you know that a 67 degree headangle is slacker than your usual XC bike doesn't mean that the rest of the country knows that. The holes are there for people who don't know every angle on their bike off the top of their head, what angles they typically prefer things at, and the weight of their frame to the nearest tenth of a pound.

Lots of people just buy something and ride, you know, and don't pay attention to the technical details like how high their bottom bracket is - if it feels okay, ride it.

There's a lot to be said for that mentality anyway.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
<snip>
Lots of people just buy something and ride, you know, and don't pay attention to the technical details like how high their bottom bracket is - if it feels okay, ride it.

Hey. That's me. I don't care....... head angles, blah, blah, blah. Me likee ridee......

Although I hardly ever get to do it anymore. :think:

-S.S.-

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
binary visions said:
Just 'cause you know that a 67 degree headangle is slacker than your usual XC bike doesn't mean that the rest of the country knows that. The holes are there for people who don't know every angle on their bike off the top of their head, what angles they typically prefer things at, and the weight of their frame to the nearest tenth of a pound.

I think more often than not it gives some pozer a warm fuzzy when his bike is in the 'FR' mode. That way he can't be pozing, cuz it say right there on his bike that he's freeriding. :rolleyes:

If you need a 'label' to know what kind of riding you are doing then I say you're pozing. :thumb:

More confusion... can you wear armor and your full face when the bike is in 'XC' mode even if you prefer a steeper headangle but you are clearly 'freeriding'? :confused:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
profro said:
I think more often than not it gives some pozer a warm fuzzy when his bike is in the 'FR' mode. That way he can't be pozing, cuz it say right there on his bike that he's freeriding. :rolleyes:

If you need a 'label' to know what kind of riding you are doing then I say you're pozing. :thumb:

More confusion... can you wear armor and your full face when the bike is in 'XC' mode even if you prefer a steeper headangle but you are clearly 'freeriding'? :confused:
Dude, it's some letters stamped on a frame. When I buy that bike, I will be riding it, not pozing, regardless of what you say. There is simply no logical correlation between letters stamped on a bike frame, and the way that will cause me to ride the bike. I really dont get your argument here.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Ill actually contribute,

Kore doesnt have any of the C-dale stems even in the BTI catalog so i dont think thats an option. Profile doesnt have one listed either. It appears that Cedric also just uses a stock stem off of the 4x prophet. The stock stem on the 4x model looks shorter than the stem on other prophets, this might be your only bet at a better stem. I'd call Cannondale and see what they say.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
No problem, just remember to forward the Prophet to me when you recieve it. :D I've ridden one of them, and dayum, are they fun. :thumb:

so amazingly enough you got the attention of an actual cannondale employee here...probably opening up a bag of worms saying that but oh well. as for stems. the one on the 4x is a different one, it is an 80 and about the shortes that we make. and yeah i have to admit they arent the most stylish of stems, but the do work... i don;t know about S.IC. i do know they make 1.5 but not sure about lefty/hs good luck