Quantcast

Leg armor fer me Wife

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
So I'm wondering if any lady-monkeys have found a particular type/brand of leg armor to work better for you. I want to pick up a set for my wife but I know that I personally went through a few sets before I found something that fit me well and didn't hinder mobility. So hoping to avoid that same trial and error. She's about 5'5" and pretty slender. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks y'all.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
The new Lopes pads from Troy Lee are quite nice. I have used a couple of different styles of the 661 pads too (the 2x4/4x4 and one that I have for DH but can't remember the style...they have a hard plastic outer shell on the front and neoprene with velcro to hold it on) the DH ones have held up quite well but they're hot.

I personally had good luck with some of the older Fox 911s but they have since changed them and I don't like the new ones as well. I also won a set of Specialized pads that seem pretty nice, but I haven't ridden with them enough to see how durable they are. I am about the same height, but I wouldn't call my build slender so I am not sure how much that helps.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
The best protection and confidence I ever felt was with clunky Rector knee pads and Hammer shins. They did everything perfectly...except be comfortable for pedalling and they had zero regards for the finish of a top tube. ...Then I couldn't wash the funk out of them so they had to go.

Everything since then required modification to fit with a fraction of the same protection and security of the Rector/Hammer combo.

Duct tape is her friend, just make sure it's not too tightly wrapped around her leg for when her muscles start flexin'.

Good luck.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'm about 5'5. I got the TLD Lopes ones about 2 months ago. At first, the sleeve was sliding down but they fit really well after shrinking a bit in the washing machine. They will naturally loosen up after a while so just put them in the washing machine and they will tighten up.

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
I'm about 5'5. I got the TLD Lopes ones about 2 months ago. At first, the sleeve was sliding down but they fit really well after shrinking a bit in the washing machine. They will naturally loosen up after a while so just put them in the washing machine and they will tighten up.
Are those the ones w/ the veggie-wrap type thing that goes under the pad itelf? I assume you're running size small?

Thanks.