Quantcast

Leg Armor

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Ok, so if you guys haven't noticed, I'm gearing up to ride some more aggressive terrain. What is everyone wearing for leg armor? I was thinking of getting the 661's Race knee/shin guards. I hear they are pretty comfy. My hubby really wants me to get the Roaches though. Anyone have any brand they like better?

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I have found with leg armor you really have to make sure you try lots on and see how they fit. I've definitely had problems with chafing and being too big. Currently I use the wrap-around 661's and like them alot. In fact, I just got their new '06 version which is alittle more vented. They are pretty warm though so not everyone likes them, but I find the fit is very good. I still wear a knicker underneath so I don't get chafing on the knees.

The thing I hate about armor sizing is that they frequently do S/M and X/XL so S/M is usually big! I'm thinking of trying junior sizes, but it really depends on your leg circumference and length.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
Try, try, try before you buy. Otherwise you will buy several and waste your money.

Things to consider:

1. Do they fit without pinching? Some models have elastic straps that may pinch and bind.
  2. Are they appropriate for your leg length? Try them on with your DH shoes and sit on a bike. If they are too long, they will be uncomfortable on your shins.
  3. Will they stay up when you pedal? Many of them fit when you try them on, but slide down when you ride, especially when you pedal agressively

I currently own 4 sets:

1. Dianese Bibs (I use these when I race)

2. Fox Launch Shinguards (I wear these when I need knee & shin protection) They are very light and withstand big hits.

3. 661 Veggie Wrap Knee and shin (they velcro together). They work better in a cold climate as they tend to make you sweat.

4. 661 Tomcat Knee (I use these when I don't need shin protection)

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
I'm using Dainese FR for legs (medium), with the 661 sleeve over to hold them in place. Great combo with no complaints.
I had Roaches. I thought they were too bulky.
I've also tried the 661's that you mentioned. Not bad and less expensive than Dainese.

chuky

Chimp
Oct 25, 2006
SL,UT
I have found that even the small 661 shinguards are too long for my shins. the bottom of the guard actually bruises the front of my ankle after a while.

Trying things on seems to be the key - I recently went on a hunt for new shinguards and didn't buy any because all of them were too big. (Didn't get to try the Dainese, but they seem pretty pricey). I have a new pair coming that might be better though, if they are, I will post.

Cheers,
C

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
Im using some Azonic revolver knee pads. these things are tough and they pivot with your legs so there is no stretching or it falling off. they cost me $40 and its the best $40 i have put my money into. These things save my legs from scars and deeps cuts.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I have found that even the small 661 shinguards are too long for my shins. the bottom of the guard actually bruises the front of my ankle after a while.

Trying things on seems to be the key - I recently went on a hunt for new shinguards and didn't buy any because all of them were too big. (Didn't get to try the Dainese, but they seem pretty pricey). I have a new pair coming that might be better though, if they are, I will post.

Cheers,
C
It's funny, I actually had the opposite problem. I had to go all the way to XL shinguards to get them long enough to protect my ankles - the L seems like it pulls down off my knees to conform to the ankle - just not long enough. I've had oh... 30+ stitches in my ankles thus far and I don't want them left bare anymore.

I have Raceface (now Roach, I believe) shinguards which fit nicely. Other times I use my DonJoy knee braces and use the MX knee/shinguards with those, but then I need to use separate neoprene wraps to cover my ankles for DH.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
nothing out there is better go for the Rockgardn stuff check it:

07 stuff is awsome

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
I know ladies that this a forum for you ladies, but if you need small leg armour check out core rat and the youth size will work for a small size lady ,that is what my wife wears.