Quantcast

Leg armor?

Yes I've searched so don't go there...

Ok, I'm currently using the '03, 661 Race-Lite pads. Coverage is good, but since I have chicken legs, (ie, small thighs) I'm having an issue of the pads opening up too much and exposing the top of my knee. That top strap just doesn't do the job. I've also gotten a few pedal gouges to the calf due to the open back

So, I'm looking for something that's going to a) stay above my knee and not move around too much, and b) maybe something with better calf protection.

I'm thinking the Rockgardn AirFrames look good for keeping things in place, but appear to offer little in regards to calf protection.

Suggestions?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm wondering the same thing, I'm not wanting to spend quite that much though. What about the 661, fox and azonic pads you can find at supergo or jenson? Anybody with toothpick like legs have any experience?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I too am stick legged. I got the Race Face Ralley DH armor (in medium) and it turned out to be too big. But offered everything you are looking for. Order them in small and you should be happy.

I have the Ralley Freeride now and they are awesome, but have an open back so the protection might not be enough for ya.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
no matter what armor you get, they don't do any good if you don't wear them. :( I now have a bruised shin with a hole in it.

special O

Chimp
Dec 5, 2002
ok how about the other end of the spectrum. I have thick midget legs and i have had a ton of trouble finding pads that fit. 11" from the middle of my knee to ball of my ankle (like if im sitting down measuring down the back of my calf). I also have super thick calves and thighs so i need straps that are big enough. Anyone in a similar situation and find pads that fit? I currently have some 661 race pads that I cut a couple of inches off the bottom and resewed the strap on. They dont work all that great.

thanks

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by surfinguru

Ok, I'm currently using the '03, 661 Race-Lite pads. Coverage is good, but since I have chicken legs, (ie, small thighs) I'm having an issue of the pads opening up too much and exposing the top of my knee. That top strap just doesn't do the job. I've also gotten a few pedal gouges to the calf due to the open back

So, I'm looking for something that's going to a) stay above my knee and not move around too much, and b) maybe something with better calf protection....

Suggestions?
I have "stick legs" as I like to call them, and I'm digging the Fox Ventilator shin/knee guards (size S, or S/M). The top cup that goes over the knee flops forward, though, so they don't always protect me. Hence, I just ordered the Fox Radius Knee Gasket (I think it's neoprene) that's designed for wearing underneath the Ventilator and similar knee/shin guards. Hopefully that will prevent any further bruising on the sides of my knees. Also, if you have a problem with your pads sliding down as I do, try velcroing the bottom strap to the top velcro and vice-versa (works on the Fox.) A friend showed me that this weekend. It never even occured to me. I thought I was going to have to shorten the straps by *gasp* sewing!

I've tried 661 shin/knee pads (soft) but the strap that goes behind my knee to hold the knee part cuts my circulation off, which is why I bought the more floppy Fox Ventilator guards.

About the back of the calves... I'm running the risk of having my pedals gash my calves, 'cause I don't want to put yet another piece of hot protection on!

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Ask any monkey who knows me, I have chicken legs (left ones a lot smaller now:( ) I used to wear modified old style Dainese with just the two straps, never stayed in place, and were honestly a joke.

I recently got a pair of the Rockgardn Airframes and love them. I did have to do a little modification to the two lower straps to make them fit but the top strap and sleeve fit just fine. All I did was add more velcro to the strap and cut it shorter so they dont get snagged and come un-done. They are super comfortable, stay in place pretty darn well and fit my scrawny legs. Protection is awesome also, just like other RG products! But like almost all leg armor, the back of your leg wont get much protection, if you want to cook all day get some neoprene style things, still can get cut and crap but might cut down on the pedal bashing. (haha maybe you should look at different pedals!) If you have questions let me know.