Quantcast

Legal bike trail riding in Santa Cruz

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
Hmmm...

I've been riding UC for quite a few years now as I live like 10 minutes away... and I've never been up to Demonstration Forest... Is it worth a trip?

Charlieluke

Chimp
Aug 11, 2008
Tractor, Sawpit and the other Demo rides are legal, but in the actual Park of Nisene Marks, ajacent to Demo, everything above the steel bridege that is not a fireroad is illegal.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Best way to avoid thefts is to do like they do in hawaii-

don't have anything in your car including glove box and center console, leave them open so everyone can see there's nothing in there and leave the doors unlocked or the windows down.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
the reviews of demo sound fun i need to get out there. is the amount of thefts on the road as bad as the reviews are saying?

I believe they busted the thieves a while ago. But the hills are full of tweakers, so like others have said, take all valuables with you. As far as I knew, most of the break ins were out on Highland drive. If you park in the parking lot, it's a little safer, as the thieves would be bottle-necked up if they were breaking in and someone came along.

Demo is for sure worth the trip up! It's a bit more of a climb than ucsc... as in...leave the DH bike at home, but it is a must do!

wakeeater

Monkey
Jan 6, 2007
livermore ca
yeah i would love to do as they do in hawaii......... but i have a few dollars invested in the system in my truck so taking most my valubles is hard.

and i only have a bottle rocket so no dh bike for me

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
hmmm, is the road still closed out there? If it is, parking in the parking lot is totally safe. No one ever goes in there when the road is closed so I don't think the thieves even bother to look, or they might live on the other side of the closure.

It's a pain to get to though if you're coming from 17.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Wow, you guys really ride around here and don't know jack about Demo?

No more shuttles at UCSC eh? Time to learn how to mtn bike again.

The road (Highland) is repaired and open, and has been for quite a while. Takes about 15 minutes to get there from 17.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Truth be told, I don't really ride around here. Most weekends we've been out at races so far. I think the last time I rode demo was about 6 months ago.

Compared to some other places around here to ride, it's not that great.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Truth be told, I don't really ride around here. Most weekends we've been out at races so far. I think the last time I rode demo was about 6 months ago.

Compared to some other places around here to ride, it's not that great.
Compared to other legal places to ride it is ripping!

Sounds like you are afraid of climbing.

All the descents (and climbs) are at least 2-3X as long as stuff in UCSC.

True, leave the DH bike at home(or go ride Pacifica), but Demo rips on something w/ 5-6" of travel.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Compared to other legal places to ride it is ripping!

Sounds like you are afraid of climbing.

All the descents (and climbs) are at least 2-3X as long as stuff in UCSC.

True, leave the DH bike at home(or go ride Pacifica), but Demo rips on something w/ 5-6" of travel.
Legal or illegal, I'm just in it for a fun ride.

I could care less if I have to climb, I just want a fun and challenging decent.

The more people that go and ride demo the better as far as I'm concerned.

esper

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Campbell CA

agreed.

I would rather do shuttle runs up rocky ridge than climb demo.

wakeeater

Monkey
Jan 6, 2007
livermore ca
hmm i down to ride anything really just wanna have fun now that i finally dont only have a hardtail and the trails around here are boring me

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer

Interesting post on a thread entitled:

"Legal bike trail riding In Santa Cruz"

Most of us know about the good stuff, the smart ones just don't post about it on a public forum.
That is how the good stuff gets shut down.

Shuttle away my friend...

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Interesting post on a thread entitled:

"Legal bike trail riding In Santa Cruz"

Most of us know about the good stuff, the smart ones just don't post about it on a public forum.
That is how the good stuff gets shut down.

Shuttle away my friend...
Are you really trying to get in an argument on the internet with me because I said Demo wasn't that good?!? :clapping: Sorry if you're so enamored with riding there that you feel the need to become the internet equivelent of a crusty old man waving your e-cain at me.

Since I can't seem to find it, maybe you can go back through this thread and quote for me where I menitioned the names or even areas of ANY illegal trail or spot?

I also can't seem to find the part where I said I was shuttling any trails?

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Hey wood, since you do not know any of use and never post on here why dont you just go cry about the trails on MTBR.And Brian you guys riding this weekend?Josh is sick, Mandy is pregnant, Mike is too fast and Derek went poof!Let me know if I can tag along,Pm please we wouldnt want any more whinning about riding our bikes on natures goodness!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Lol! Serious! I like how he just sort of slipped that in there. Nice work dude!

We're off to the fontana race this weekend... we DO have an extra seat and place to stay, but it's probably bad form to leave the pregnant wife at home to watch the kid and turtles huh? :)

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
P.S. Congrats, Todd! I didn't you and the wifey were expecting again!

Brian, I still want to hit up a Fontucky race... but it's not in the cards just yet. Maybe in May?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Whenever's clever Mike.

Just throwin this out there...

We'd crash at Kelly's parents house, so lodging and a most of the food is free.

All you really need for cash is to pony up for part of the gas, the race fee and the manditory stop at rubios after the race. :D

We don't leave til like 8:00 tonight from monterey..... just sayin :)

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Haha... wish I could, man. Dad's retirement party is on Sunday. Tomorrow I've got a church class the wife and I are helpin' out with.

But soon... yes, very soon.

And I'm always the guy who ends up driving and kinda' gets stiffed on gas money. So when I hitch a ride with someone else, I'm always first to pony up the dolla-dolla-bills ya'll.

Does the season for Fontucky really end this month?

****e... Oh well. Guess it's CCCX, Sea Otter, and Northstar for me.

Last edited:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Hey wood, since you do not know any of use and never post on here why dont you just go cry about the trails on MTBR.And Brian you guys riding this weekend?Josh is sick, Mandy is pregnant, Mike is too fast and Derek went poof!Let me know if I can tag along,Pm please we wouldnt want any more whinning about riding our bikes on natures goodness!
sorry for my lack of posts bro, I guess I am too busy riding.

I also apologize for being out of the loop for the Sport DH SC Mafia. You guys roll too deep for me, I just can't hang.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA

I also apologize for being out of the loop for the Sport DH SC Mafia. You guys roll too deep for me, I just can't hang.
Enough with the sarcasm. Can't we all just get along? I am kind of bummed how derailed this thread I started got.

Let's get back on track here fellas.

See you out on the trails.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Mike you are fast up and down, and Brian and Mike im down to hit fontucky sometime too, my whole family lives 15 min from the trail so I can drive sometime too and we would have another free place to stay.Congrats to you Brain on the ring thing by the way!I thought i would just slip in the whole new offspring thing haha.BTW did the Socom come in yet?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA

Dang dude I really don't have any hard feelings or whatever. I just don't like people twisting things I said to try and profile me... Especially if they're trying to make me look like someone who is too much of princess to earn my turns or who exposes good spots to ride online. :twitch:

Hit me up if you ever need someone to ride with around SC, as long as you're willing to wait at the top or bottom for my "sport dh" self. :busted:

Todd, Mike- yeah, the new socom showed up a little while ago. It's pretty much done except for the beat boxxer on the front. I'll probably be ditching that for a 40 and call it good.

Last edited: