Quantcast

Legal building at beacon!!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Greetings Monkeys.
I just ( this morning) got out of a very positive meeting with the City Parks for Camp Sekani, fondly called Beacon.
We've got the real go ahead now to start finalizing our plans for for legal trail and stunt building. There have been precedents set by some of the skate parks in the city, so the liability thing is sort of a non-issue. We do a property walk through to address ideas and issues in two weeks. Last year was the warm up, this year we are going to do some real work up there. I know I've been posting about this for a year, but now it actually seems like it's going to happen.:dancing::dancing:

Already we are ok'd and working on trail maintenance, mapping and developing signage. Lots more is possible, with a plan and some standards, working through the club with the city. ( this is the important part, if you don't work though us it won't be legal, this is why we want your help and input!!)

Those of us working on this have our ideas of what could be part of a long term plan for the park. Everything will be better with more input from more riders. So, things are definately up for discussion.

-if we ( the club) hosted a Beacon round table session, at a local bike shop or ??, would any one come to see what we've got planned and to share their ideas?
-want to discuss here instead? Should I post the plan/wish list that we've been working on?

Also, now's the time if you've heard rumors or second hand info about "the club" to get the answers.

any input, comments, questions are gratefully appreciated at this point.

thank, geargrrl

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
sounds awesome. my only input is to reshape the ramp of the double after the little road gap. i broke my wrists on it in october. seriously, everyone should get intvolved in this, this could affect a lot of riders on the east side. keep posting updates geargrrl.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
That same double broke both my buddy's ankles. Well, broke one and sprained the other. He was in a wheelchair for awhile. That double needs work. Plus if you over shoot it you land flat or even uphill. My buddy hit it so hard he landed on the uphill. He ditched the bike. He should have stayed on. :) Bike suspension is a lot more forgiving than your legs.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
well, if there's someone out there that knows how to do that kind of thing, we'd love to hear from them.

just fyi, the model that we are using for our ideas is based on what's been done at Post Canyon in Hood River, Blackrock, and some other parks around the country.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Plus if you over shoot it you land flat or even uphill. My buddy hit it so hard he landed on the uphill. He ditched the bike. He should have stayed on.
dude...keep it how it is, inverted landings are the new thing

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
so what will become of the stunts that were not nessisarily built legaly? i would hate to see that stuff torn down.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
They know all that stuff is there, and it hasn't come down yet. With the exception of the "sor" teeter that came down last year. One of the things we are working on right now is an inventory - to set a base line of what is already there. Everything we are talking to Parks about right now is on a conversational level - albiet good conversations- but nothing is on paper yet except that we can continue to maintenance work.

We do a walk-though next week. That should answer some of these things.

There was an incident several weeks ago where a ladder was torn down by some hikers. Wouldn't it be great to be able to tell people... here call this guy at Parks, we have permission to put this here.

The kinds of things that have come up in our talks so far:
-trail flow and planning
-all abilities trails and stunts
-using natural features
-signage, maps
-respect for the property as a park

one of the references we are using is the whistler building manual
http://www.whistlercycling.org/newsroom/

They really like to see that we have some models like Post Canyon and Blackrock.

gg

feel free to PM me if you want more details

[tHe] Saint

Monkey
Mar 24, 2006
Spokane, WA
This is really cool.

My suggestions.

1. Keep everything that is already there.
2. Build some new stuff.
3. Put up Signs that say ride at your own risk for all these people that jump stuff and then break stuff and then blame it on the jumps. I've jumped everything there, and I've never had a problem unless it was my own fault.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
All I can say is that the powers that be are not going to feel real warm and fuzzy about mountain bikers in the park with this level of dirt moving going.

If you guys have the chance or the inclination, talk to Chris A at Wheelsport E, he has a really good grasp of the big picture.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
dirtjumpP.1 said:
so what will become of the stunts that were not nessisarily built legaly? i would hate to see that stuff torn down.
Keep in mind that how legal something is can be a matter of how well thought out and solid the build, placement and landing is.

compare and contrast: