Quantcast

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
I just HAD to open this thread as I used to ( actually, still do..) absolutely love legos-- In fact, my first bank acct. pin number was 'lego' when I was in 6th? grade????

Many many years later, my (now) wife and I went to a Halloween party as lego people.

Man, I wish I had me some legos right now.....

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
johnbryanpeters said:
[insert civil discourse here]
This is fvcking stupid. Delete the post or leave it alone.

Read the the tags below. How's that for "civil"?

Pathetic.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Lego used to be cooler than it is now. You could make anything your imagination came up with.

Now you follow the directions on the box.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Lego used to be cooler than it is now. You could make anything your imagination came up with.

You're kidding...I hope you're kidding.

Lego is 100000x better then when I was a kid. Every time I needed a certain piece I had in my imagination, I had to approximate it with what was available.

The variety and complexity of pieces then make now are insane. My 3 mo old has yet to find out how lucky he is.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

I totally agree. Now you can only re-use 60% of the pieces from a kit to build anything else. E.g. Instead of having to build a turret for a castle, they give you a pre-fabbed turret.

It's all part of the dumbing down of society. It's just atrocious. It's ludicrous.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I totally agree. Now you can only re-use 60% of the pieces from a kit to build anything else. E.g. Instead of having to build a turret for a castle, they give you a pre-fabbed turret.

It's all part of the dumbing down of society. It's just atrocious. It's ludicrous.
I bought a bucket of off-brand building blocks that my daughter now enjoys because at the time, toys r us didn't sell Lego brand buckets 'o parts. All they had with the Lego brand were "play sets".

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Legos are the shiznit. My mom just sold off all my childhood legos in a garage sale before they moved. I had a huge box (the boxes they deliver reams of office paper) packed to the brim with legos. Everything from the simple stuff to the "technical" stuff that came with battery powered motors, etc.

S'ok though... at least they went to some kid who will enjoy them as much as I did.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN

You know you can still actually buy just the regular legos with the regular blocks at a toy store right? No one's forcing you to buy the Millenium Falcon 25th Anniversary HD Special Edition Chrome set.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You know you can still actually buy just the regular legos with the regular blocks at a toy store right? No one's forcing you to buy the Millenium Falcon 25th Anniversary HD Special Edition Chrome set.
I'd buy that.

Or:

3104 pcs...

:drool:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I built a miniature Verrazano-Narrows suspension bridge out of Legos when I was 11. I won a bunch of scholastic science awards and a trip to Washington DC because of it. It was a pretty cool experience for my family.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I built a miniature Verrazano-Narrows suspension bridge out of Legos when I was 11. I won a bunch of scholastic science awards and a trip to Washington DC because of it. I was a pretty cool experience for my family.
WOW.

You win the All Time RM Nerd award for this. I don't think even BV can top that.

:D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

It's economics. A turret used to require 30 pieces that cost more than the single turret piece they make now. Back in the day it would have outrageously expensive to build a full turret mold, now it is cheaper. The good thing is a kid can build a castle for a low price point. Kids can still build whatever they want and probably do. Those that can't become accountants or presidents.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It's economics. A turret used to require 30 pieces that cost more than the single turret piece they make now. Back in the day it would have outrageously expensive to build a full turret mold, now it is cheaper. The good thing is a kid can build a castle for a low price point. Kids can still build whatever they want and probably do. Those that can't become accountants or presidents.
Not to mention the increased productivity in child turret-building labour. With the simplified design, a kid can build a 4 turret castle in 10 minutes. (Maybe 15 if there's a drawbridge). Back in the day, that might have taken 2 hours. That 1.75 child-hours can now be put toward playing Guitar Hero. Or starting a lemonade empire. Whatever.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
At Disney Orlando, they had a really cool giant lego shop with amazing lego scuptures. It was amazing for more reasons than just my exaggerated level of inebriation. Even though I had three of the giant Lego blue-jean bags FULL as a child, I never made stuff cooler than say spaceships, dragsters and fortresses for my toy soldiers to hide in from my BB gun and firecrackers.

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
My parents still have 4 - 5 gallon buckets full of Legos that they keep around for the grandkids. All the grandkids were there for a week last month. They built a huge Lego Mall with shops, food court, the whole bit. Mom entered it into the county 4H fair in the toy category and won a blue ribbon. Still waiting on her to send me the photos......

I was sooooo stoked when Santa brought me the castle kit. Play outside?! Pffft! I'm getting medieval in here!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My brothers and I used to have a dresser full of Legos.

Three small drawers, nine large drawers, full.