Quantcast

Lemme AXE you a question

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I need a new axe. More specifically, I need a maul for splitting wood, but I'd like to buy a felling axe as well, or a single tool that can do both. I have a chainsaw for cutting up trees that fell on my property, but I need to split the cut logs now. I also need a smaller axe that can finish felling a tree after a few cuts with the saw. I'm willing to spend some money to get a high quality, long lasting axe, as I'd like to buy it once and be done with it forever.

What's good out there? Council Tool? Estwing? Is there no point in spending money on an american product and just get a fiskars mush-metal fiberglass jobber? I'll be chopping mostly pine, and would like to buy the kind of tool that I give to my kids when I die or move. We keep losing trees to windstorms, so I find it likely that I will need these tools again and again. I have gotten a ton of use out of my chainsaw once my wife let me buy one.

I could do these two:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-X27-6-3-lbs-36-in-Super-Splitting-Axe-78846935/202681680
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-26-in-Camper-s-Nylon-Vinyl-Grip-Handle-Axe-E45A/100351735

Or something more fancy:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G7SJVU/?coliid=I5I2OAGB71MJR&colid=2V25GVFU9BPOZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Or something I can post about on instagram:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015EULD60/?coliid=I2VO20QVBMHM2G&colid=2V25GVFU9BPOZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

What's good?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i was looking into this same thing earlier in the winter. iirc, in general people were surprisingly pleased with the fiskars one, esp. for the price.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
The long handle Fiskar axe hits and performs like a maul. I use the shorter handle one for splitting hard wood and it is a great axe. I have used the long handle'd one and would buy it over the short for just splitting. If you wanna chop and split, shorter handle is easier to use.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i did a bunch of research on this back in the fall and i wound up with the fiskars x27. its honestly the best bang for the buck out there. nothing against gransfors, etc, but those are dentist axes IMO. i have been SUPER happy with how it works.

also, the x27 is what's considered a hybrid axe. it falls in between a splitting axe and a maul in terms of weight and shape of the head. it is NOT a felling axe. Besides, if you have a chainsaw why do you need a felling axe? i mean, unless you really want a felling axe, but the x27 isn't it.

also, i received the fiskars splitting maul as an xmas present. before receiving it, i thought i didn't need it. after using it, i'm kicking myself for not getting it sooner. if you are planning on splitting logs greater than say, 10-12" in diameter it works notably better than the x27.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i did a bunch of research on this back in the fall and i wound up with the fiskars x27. its honestly the best bang for the buck out there. nothing against gransfors, etc, but those are dentist axes IMO. i have been SUPER happy with how it works.

also, the x27 is what's considered a hybrid axe. it falls in between a splitting axe and a maul in terms of weight and shape of the head. it is NOT a felling axe. Besides, if you have a chainsaw why do you need a felling axe? i mean, unless you really want a felling axe, but the x27 isn't it.

also, i received the fiskars splitting maul as an xmas present. before receiving it, i thought i didn't need it. after using it, i'm kicking myself for not getting it sooner. if you are planning on splitting logs greater than say, 10-12" in diameter it works notably better than the x27.
disclaimer: i'm using it to split hardwood, not soft (like pine)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Maybe I need some education here by if you are just splitting wood why not use a splitting maul?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Maybe I need some education here by if you are just splitting wood why not use a splitting maul?
Well, I had the intention of getting both a splitting maul (that's what I thought the fiskars was, but council tool makes some as well) and a felling/general purpose axe. It sounds like the fiskars x27 is the real deal, and realistically I'm using it to split pine so it's not like I need Paul Bunyan's shit. I definitely don't want a dentist axe but I also don't want to have to replace whatever I buy in a year.

I guess I thought you needed an axe to finish a cut to fell a tree, but it sounds like you can do it with just a wedge and saw, so maybe all I need is a 6lb maul and wedge, and I'm good to go.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Well, I had the intention of getting both a splitting maul (that's what I thought the fiskars was, but council tool makes some as well) and a felling/general purpose axe. It sounds like the fiskars x27 is the real deal, and realistically I'm using it to split pine so it's not like I need Paul Bunyan's shit. I definitely don't want a dentist axe but I also don't want to have to replace whatever I buy in a year.

I guess I thought you needed an axe to finish a cut to fell a tree, but it sounds like you can do it with just a wedge and saw, so maybe all I need is a 6lb maul and wedge, and I'm good to go.
Thats all I use. Well a Maul and a sledge for when it gets stuck, or I just borrow my neighbor's splitter. ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

it sounds like the x27 will work well for you since its just pine. what's the max diameter of what you're splitting?

you can fell a tree with just a chainsaw. basically cut a notch in one side, flat on the bottom angled on the top. the inner cut on the notch will be generally perpendicular to the direction you are felling. then cut in above the flat plane from the back side up 1-2" (depending on trunk diameter) and it will eventually go on its own.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, most people say to jam a wedge in there with a sledge (or maybe the backside of the x27) to give your saw some space and reduce the possibility of pinching. Sounds like a good idea. I guess I thought you make those cuts then use an axe to weaken the hinge until it falls...that's wrong.

Anyways, with the x27- is 36" too big? They have an x25 too, which is 28". I think you and I are about the same height.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
The expensive german steel head, swiss wood handle & american craft leather sheath are for hanging on the wall.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

Have any good beta on chainsaws?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have any good beta on chainsaws?
stihl unless you are looking at something professional grade. husqy's low end stuff is crap but their high end stuff is good.

edit: i have the stihl MS290 which is discontinued. current comparable models are MS271 or MS291.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, most people say to jam a wedge in there with a sledge (or maybe the backside of the x27) to give your saw some space and reduce the possibility of pinching. Sounds like a good idea. I guess I thought you make those cuts then use an axe to weaken the hinge until it falls...that's wrong.

Anyways, with the x27- is 36" too big? They have an x25 too, which is 28". I think you and I are about the same height.
i have the 36". part of how it works is that the handle is hollow, so there's more of a weight bias at the head. the way it works as well as it does is that you wanna swing it fast. it was a little longer than my old (cheap) axe, only a few inches, it was noticeable at first but i quickly adjusted.

also the back of the head on the x27 is not designed for hammering. the back of the maul head is.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I approve this message!
my statement shouldn't be interpreted that stihl's pro grade stuff isn't good, just that if you are looking at that class of chainsaw, there are other options out there worth considering as well. below the $400-$500 price range i wouldn't recommend anything other than stihl.

disclaimer: i do not and have not owned anything that would be considered pro grade. this is based on info I've picked up from people who *are* employed as arborists.

I like Jonsereds for a chain saw myself...

There ain't one way to cut to fell a tree. Depends on what you're trying to do and what the tree wants to do. There are a number of interesting ways to kill or maim yourself and others.

I have a Fiskars splitting axe and like it a lot.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There ain't one way to cut to fell a tree. Depends on what you're trying to do and what the tree wants to do. There are a number of interesting ways to kill or maim yourself and others.
Yes, theres lots of factors to consider, ground slope, tree lean, obstacles, etc. That was a general how to that I could post while in a meeting.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Let's cut to the chase and get an answer, and no split decisions. We don't want to do a hatchet job for sandwich on his birthday.

On that note, if anyone lives near a maul, they should get him a present.