Quantcast

lenses

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have been using Spy Targa 2 goggles (clear lens) for almost 2 years. I like everything about them, except the fact that they fog up.

My friend gave me his Utopia goggles (with a yellow/orange lens). The lens needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if I should get a clear one like my last one, get the yellow/orange one, or get a different one. Are different colors for specific things, or just personal preferance?

Here's me trying them with helmet :D. The color matches.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
the color of the lens dictates how much light is let through the lens. as a general guide line % transperancy goes somthing like this

clear = 80%
yellow = 60%
Orange = 50%
black = 40%
Iridium = 20%

yellow and orange lenses are great in dark trww becuse the cut glare and brighten the surrondings.

orange is a great compromise lense becuse it will cut the glare in the sun but still let you see really well in the trees.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thanks for the help.
Maybe I will get a few to try, if I don't like it, try another. Maybe clear and yellow. Will yellow help with sun glare?

thebuffalo

Chimp
Aug 18, 2006
boulder CO
blue is the best lense to use when riding a trail with bright and shady spots. it makes the transition from the light to the shade really smooth, same with the transition from shade to light, great all around lense.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
No the blue provides contrast without the oh wow brightness factor yellow does.
Actually blue is the worst for picking up contrast and depth of field. The blue/violet end of the spectrum is the shortest wavelength of visable light and thus, does not show shadows and contrast as well as the longer lengths of light (orange/yellow). It can reduce glare, but at a loss of contrast.

Look at ski goggles, the color used by every mfg for flat light contrast is a reddish orange. In fact the reason that snow contrast is so bad on overcast days, is that the coluds are better at blocking the reddish end of the spectrum and let in more blueish light, resulting in a 'flat' condition. No one makes a blue lens except as a joke for kids that think it is cool.

Sunglasses are the same, no one makes a blue lens except for useless fashion shades.

Grey lenses darken without distorting the color of what you see. Generaly used for avation and casual use where true color are required. Most often 50% light transmission. Some mfg are now making 'transitions' type lenses in grey that get darker in sun and less dark in shade.

Yellow offers an increase in contrast but very little in actual sun blocking usually a 70% light transmission. Great for dark flat light (always in the shade)

Light orange highlights contrast and can be semi-dark unlike the yellow. Usually 50% light transmission.

If you are in sun/bright conditions with lots of visual contrast, any darker lens will work. Grey is most likely the best comprimise, but blue can work as well if you are concerned with looks.

If you are in the shade or overcast conditions, a high-light-transmision orangish or yellow is your best bet.

Most MX goggle lenses are not coated with 'anti-fog like all the ski lenses are. If your lenses are not (check mfg) then you can use an aftermarket anti-fog treatment for the lenses. Some mfg (smith) also make a vented lens for mx as well to provide more air flow. No matter the lens, take your goggles off as much as possible when not riding to provide air flow.

You do not want to use ski lenses as they are a different material that will scratch very easy and in not nearly as resistant to impact as mx lenses.

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
I raced for Utopia this year and was incredibly impressed with their clear lens. This is hands down the best anti-fog single layer lens I have ever used. It only fogs in really, really wet conditions. I also used their smoke mirror lens which scratched extremely easily and din't have the anti-fog properties of the clear lenses. All their (Utopia's) lenses except for the mirrored ones use their anti-fog, anti-scratch coatings and are excellent, IMO.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thanks for the explanation. Utopia makes anti fog lenses. I heard they are some of the most durable because it the anitfog stuff is mixed into the lens material.

What do others think would be a good choice for all around CA? Sometimes, its bright, sometimes, it's darker, like when it's cloudy/rainy. Maybe I should get clear because it's seems to be good for all conditions.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Thanks for the explanation. Utopia makes anti fog lenses. I heard they are some of the most durable because it the anitfog stuff is mixed into the lens material.

What do others think would be a good choice for all around CA? Sometimes, its bright, sometimes, it's darker, like when it's cloudy/rainy. Maybe I should get clear because it's seems to be good for all conditions.
Single MX lenses are cheap! Buy several so that you have different ones for different conditions. I have about 20 or so in all colors in my helmet bag...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
For snow, I'd go orange. It's got more contrast than gray so you can see the ridges and such in the snow, but it's still not super bright. Gray is good for frikken blazing, bright conditions.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Is there any difference between a mtb goggle and a snow one? How will a mtb goggle work in snow with the right lens, compared to a snow one?

So, should I get orange or yellow (for biking and snow)? I'm thinking orange.

I think I will also get a clear and maybe a grey later.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
just a quick response. my riders use a variety of color choices - all depending on conditions. i've found that each rider has a certain preference in lens tint. Although clear is used most. i noticed that Justin Havukanen will almost always use a Smoke Mirror lens. Geritt Beytag uses the Blue a lot. Tracey Hannah uses clear most, but likes Yellow a lot.

Honestly i'd say most of my guys uses CLEAR, some sort of darker tint (SMOKE, SMOKE MIRROR, CLEAR MIRROR), and BLUE. a few use Yellow. But hardly anyone uses ORANGE. Although i haven't really offered them that color, no one has asked for it either.

To be honest, in So cal conditions, i'd say go for clears & smokes or clear mirror. Yes the mirrors do scratch easier...but you've also gotta learn to take care of your stuff. a few of my riders tear through lenses easily, while others have been using the same smoke mirror lens i gave them at Sea Otter....& still don't have a scratch on 'em.

I personally do like BLUE on occastion when there is an increase change of brigh sunlight to shaddow. However i have been known to use Blue lenses a lot in the past...even riding XC. & no it doesn't have to do with a "joke for kids, or useles fashion shades" as davep stated. just about every optics company offers a blue lens. It's not as widely used as some of the other colors, but it does have it's function.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
Is there any difference between a mtb goggle and a snow one? How will a mtb goggle work in snow with the right lens, compared to a snow one?

So, should I get orange or yellow (for biking and snow)? I'm thinking orange.

I think I will also get a clear and maybe a grey later.
the Slayer & Too Dirty goggles are the same frame for snow & dirt. only the lenses are different.

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
Cool, thanks for the help! I guess I will get smoke and clear. For snow, would the orange be good, or are snow lenses better?
I have a friend who wore the snow lenses (two layer) in his MX goggles this year and liked them. If you want to use some lenses for snow, get a two layer for that - it will work much better and will also fit into your frame, like DDD said. I would use the single layer for mtb tho, IMO.