Quantcast

lenzer-freakin-heide!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Fined for saying that? Gates no!
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/nino-schurter-receives-penalty-fine-at-the-lenzerheide-xc-world-cup-2022.html

My wife is Swiss German and I always thought they throw around the expression, “ Du bist nicht normal” like it is the worst thing you could say to someone. Then there’s other ones like Beckenrandschwimmer, halbehoser, warmduscher, etc. My favorite might be shampoovorheitzer. Anyways, looks like I underestimated the claim of abnormality. Serious business it seems. However, there’s reports of a slap in addition to the “not normal” comment.

Btw, we are doing WC DH races in Champery again in 2024 and 2025. I’ve already walked the track with the UCI technical delegate, Jorge.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Then there’s other ones like Beckenrandschwimmer, halbehoser, warmduscher, etc. My favorite might be shampoovorheitzer.
I got a bit lost trying to make sense of those words via Google Translate, but if that's what Zee Germanz consider offensive, I must admit that:
A) they're far more educated than us.
B) they've lost the ability to properly build an insult*.

Come to Argentina to learn the richness and flourish of our insult arsenal, you won't be disappointed (although you might end up a bit sick!).

* I'm guessing nobody here would try to beat someone to a pulp simply for insinuating you like to wear a swimming cap in a parking lot.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I got a bit lost trying to make sense of those words via Google Translate, but if that's what Zee Germanz consider offensive, I must admit that:
B) they've lost the ability to properly build an insult.

Come to Argentina to learn the richness and flourish of our insult arsenal, you won't be disappointed (although you might end up a bit sick!).
Haha, I would love to!

These are Swiss German expressions. They seem to be not that bad to my ear but if you can get fined for telling someone they aren’t normal and they shut the door on me, then maybe these are the rudest?

This is my understanding and literal translation of these. Sethimus might be using these now that he lives in Chur.

Beckenrandschwimmer - Someone who is scared of the deep end of a swimming pool
Halbehoser - someone who wears shorts
Warmduscher - someone who takes warm showers?
Shampoovorheitzer - someone who needs their shampoo heated up
Orangenbremser - Someone who slams on the brakes at a yellow light

I’m glad Nino didn’t accuse Flucki of swimming in the shallow end! Banned for life.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Have you ever even played it?
Swinging a stick to connect and drive a little white ball 450metres to come to a stop at a little flag barely visible blowing around in the distance is actually a lot more difficult than riding down any WC DH track.
There has been some pretty solid poo flinging in here. Golf to DH is an interesting comparison. As someone who played about 7 years half assed competitively :fancy: (I know right, hick farmer and all). Both are challenging but nowhere on the same level. I’ve never came up short on a chip and wound up in the ICU.

Probably should have not poked that bear. Ooopsys

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Haha, I would love to!

These are Swiss German expressions. They seem to be not that bad to my ear but if you can get fined for telling someone they aren’t normal and they shut the door on me, then maybe these are the rudest?

This is my understanding and literal translation of these. Sethimus might be using these now that he lives in Chur.

Halbehoser - someone who wears shorts
Warmduscher - someone who takes warm showers?
Shampoovorheitzer - someone who needs their shampoo heated up
Orangenbremser - Someone who slams on the brakes at a yellow light

I’m glad Nino didn’t accuse Flucki of swimming in the shallow end! Banned for life.
They all basically mean "coward" or "pussy". Not sure how this is in Switzerland, but in Germany these would be considered mildly insulting. Unless you use a word with "ass" you are not truely insulting people. :D
I especially like using "Arschgeige", which translates to "ass violine". You can make a nice hand gestures indicating this without even saying it. The targeted person will know. :D

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I had a good laugh during my morning visit to the porcelain throne thanks to Ben stepping in and bringing some reasoning to this pointless discussion.

Orangebremser is the best. :D

A little correction - it actually means swimming along the edge all the time so you could always hold on to it.

@slimshady I had Spanish classes in 9th to 12th grade (or senior high in the US?) and our teacher used to call us lots of stuff in the first two years nobody ever understood. In the last year she suddenly wrote a lot of stuff on the chalkboard - all the swears she used to throw at us or let's say the boys in the classroom. Hijo del puta is one I remember being used very often when she was talking to me...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Both are challenging but nowhere on the same level. I’ve never came up short on a chip and wound up in the ICU
Yeah. But were you ever caught sneaking on to a Scottish Links course with your grandad's 7 iron while wearing Adidas samba?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
There has been some pretty solid poo flinging in here. Golf to DH is an interesting comparison. As someone who played about 7 years half assed competitively :fancy: (I know right, hick farmer and all). Both are challenging but nowhere on the same level. I’ve never came up short on a chip and wound up in the ICU.

Probably should have not poked that bear. Ooopsys
To be fair waaaaay more people die every year playing golf....

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Hijo del puta
That's just the tip if the iceberg. You can combine it in oh so many ways, such as these two my uncle used to love: "hijo de un vagón lleno de putas sidosas" (son of a train wagon filled with hookers who caught AIDS) and "hijo de putas, que tu madre es una santa pero vos sos un hijo de remil putas igual" (son if a bitch, for your mother is a saint but you're still a son of a thousand bitches).

And again, those are considered mildly insulting here.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Angry Nino in French would be like:
"Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère"
:rofl:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
B) they've lost the ability to properly build an insult*.

* I'm guessing nobody here would try to beat someone to a pulp simply for insinuating you like to wear a swimming cap in a parking lot.
swiss ppl sound cute when they are angry. but dont confuse them with germans just because they use the same language base. german allows you to build up insulting words just by combining substantives.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
And again, those are considered mildly insulting here.
I thought that french was pretty good for cursing / insulting but Spanish seems far better!
Swedish is very mild with sayings like "fy katten" (oh cat), "helvete" (hell), "djävlar" (demons)...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I thought that french was pretty good for cursing / insulting but Spanish seems far better!
Swedish is very mild with sayings like "fy katten" (oh cat), "helvete" (hell), "djävlar" (demons)...
I've posted this before, but it's totally worth watching (with auto-translation). This was Roberto Fontanarrosa, a well known cartoonist and writer, explaining how insults (often called "bad words") do both enrich and empower a language:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't know how Europeans can be bothered saying all those words when the insult isn't exactly breathtaking. A good insult doesn't need to be a structured sentence nevermind hugely longwinded. Infact some of our most cutting insults intentionally leave out the details and it's the delivery that makes them brutal.

Yer maw!

For instance.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Netflix (led by Nicholas Cage) did a whole series on swear words. It's actually a field of study in linguistics! Spanish and Québecois swearing are by far my favourite (and not just because quebeckers use 'fuck' as punctuation in their sentences..)

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I don't know how Europeans can be bothered saying all those words when the insult isn't exactly breathtaking. A good insult doesn't need to be a structured sentence nevermind hugely longwinded. Infact some of our most cutting insults intentionally leave out the details and it's the delivery that makes them brutal.

Yer maw!

For instance.

du bist so ein opfer

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fined for saying that? Gates no!
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/nino-schurter-receives-penalty-fine-at-the-lenzerheide-xc-world-cup-2022.html

My wife is Swiss German and I always thought they throw around the expression, “ Du bist nicht normal” like it is the worst thing you could say to someone. Then there’s other ones like Beckenrandschwimmer, halbehoser, warmduscher, etc. My favorite might be shampoovorheitzer. Anyways, looks like I underestimated the claim of abnormality. Serious business it seems. However, there’s reports of a slap in addition to the “not normal” comment.

Btw, we are doing WC DH races in Champery again in 2024 and 2025. I’ve already walked the track with the UCI technical delegate, Jorge.
did footage of the crash that fluickiger caused ever turn up?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Yer maw!

For instance.
Another good one in Argentinian Spanish is "cagón!". Nobody says "coward" down here. Instead, you're literally accused of being somebody who would shit their pants when confronted. All of that syntethized in a simple word.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Yer maw!

For instance.
"Avanti, Avanti!" - Austrian officers during the 4th battle of Isonzo to their Italian counterparts leading to headless and fruitless attacks by the furious Italians.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Netflix (led by Nicholas Cage) did a whole series on swear words. It's actually a field of study in linguistics! Spanish and Québecois swearing are by far my favourite (and not just because quebeckers use 'fuck' as punctuation in their sentences..)
I knew a kaybecker who either started or ended every sentence with shit-fuck. Never quite understood the intent.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I knew a kaybecker who either started or ended every sentence with shit-fuck. Never quite understood the intent.
Honestly, it really is just punctuation. Like a comma in a sentence. "S'ti man, t'as tu vu la drop qu'y'a faite sur son bike?!?! fuck man, c'tait fuckin énorme! py y'a landé dret su'l fuckin flat man..."

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Honestly, it really is just punctuation. Like a comma in a sentence. "S'ti man, t'as tu vu la drop qu'y'a faite sur son bike?!?! fuck man, c'tait fuckin énorme! py y'a landé dret su'l fuckin flat man..."
Shit man, toi tu connais ça en esti!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I should have clarified that shitfuck was used as a single word.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Another good one in Argentinian Spanish is "cagón!". Nobody says "coward" down here. Instead, you're literally accused of being somebody who would shit their pants when confronted. All of that syntethized in a simple word.
Scots use Feartie, Jessie or Blouse.
Same meaning really

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
My non DH riding GF is already telling me we are booking tickets. As long as her work doesn't cockblock us we are there.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Weirdly we are blunt in Polish. Then again one of the worse Czech swear words means to look for in Polish so Polish tourists in Czechia always got into some funny interactions.
Almost as good as when the czechs ask "Fakt?" in front an English speaker. :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Almost as good as when the czechs ask "Fakt?" in front an English speaker. :D
Fakt is the biggest tabloid in Poland. Then SRAM means I am shitting in PL

I still like the Swedish "Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död" (The wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead if I remember correctly)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Somehow when you use it it sounds normal when Polish people do it sounds like we're trying.
Its weird tho, every culture has something they can pull off well. Some phrases are super American only, others British, etc. I can't imagine an American saying bollocks or wanker haha.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Its weird tho, every culture has something they can pull off well. Some phrases are super American only, others British, etc. I can't imagine an American saying bollocks or wanker haha.
I was about to call you a wanker, thankfully I'm qualified :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Well thats when you share a language. Polish people are mainly pulling well being extremely reserved until we get drunk and overly friendly.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
All the English speaking Pole's I know in Edinburgh swear in exactly the same manner us Scots do. Possibly swearing even more than we do in conversation and definitely not reserved about it when stone cold sober.

when in Rome, eh?