Quantcast

Lenzerheide 2021

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've got a race in the morning and I'm sinking tins and yelling at RedBull. Tomorrow is gonna be rough

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
They need someone to pull these racers off the tracks when they have hits like that. I'm surprised that's not happening more, or isn't protocol, with all the focus on brain injuries these days.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hope Luca is OK, full on rock to spine basher.

That last tight little chicane was pretty decisive, killed Finn's shot while Greenland smoked it.
sitting here recovering from a broken back, I have so say I was very pleased to see he was wearing body armour. you can see it moving around as he tumbles down the mountain side, but nevertheless doing its job.

I found this to be an exciting race to watch. Yes, Bruni's run was smooth, but in all honesty, all the top guys seemed very similar in that steep section. The skill of these riders, and how they can keep it together at the very edge is unreal.

I caught the last 10 riders live (Reece's run), but my wife walked in on me watching it. She is so upset about my injury at MSA that she can't stomach the thought of DH right now. I had to turn it off as she was so upset. I finished watching while she was away, luckily I managed to pick up where I left off (Thibault's run). Now I just need to find the link to the women's race. Redbull says the replay is available, but I can only find the men's... guess I just need to give it time.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
sitting here recovering from a broken back, I have so say I was very pleased to see he was wearing body armour. you can see it moving around as he tumbles down the mountain side, but nevertheless doing its job.

I found this to be an exciting race to watch. Yes, Bruni's run was smooth, but in all honesty, all the top guys seemed very similar in that steep section. The skill of these riders, and how they can keep it together at the very edge is unreal.

I caught the last 10 riders live (Reece's run), but my wife walked in on me watching it. She is so upset about my injury at MSA that she can't stomach the thought of DH right now. I had to turn it off as she was so upset. I finished watching while she was away, luckily I managed to pick up where I left off (Thibault's run). Now I just need to find the link to the women's race. Redbull says the replay is available, but I can only find the men's... guess I just need to give it time.
Sounds rough mate.... wth happened??

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Have to say it’s quite understandable for the mrs. Too soon, too soon! ;)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sounds rough mate.... wth happened??
Took a tumble at MSA. First lap, I was warming up on Vietnam, moderate jump trail. I was sucking up the little table tops and must have sucked the last one up wrong or something, not quite sure, but I rode the front wheel for a bit and then went OTB. Broke two vertebra (D11 and L2), my shoulder blade and three ribs. They had to fuse my D10-11-12.

There shouldn't be any lasting damage, but I'm now starting a three-month convalescence. I have to wear a brace, for my L2, and basically can't bend over or anyting. It certainly puts a lot of extra work on her. Not only does she have to take care of the kids and the groceries and the appointments etc... but she has to help me put my pants on, change the bed sheets, put on shoes, go to appointments, and help me wash since I can't take a shower for another two weeks....

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Took a tumble at MSA. First lap, I was warming up on Vietnam, moderate jump trail. I was sucking up the little table tops and must have sucked the last one up wrong or something, not quite sure, but I rode the front wheel for a bit and then went OTB. Broke two vertebra (D11 and L2), my shoulder blade and three ribs. They had to fuse my D10-11-12.

There shouldn't be any lasting damage, but I'm now starting a three-month convalescence. I have to wear a brace, for my L2, and basically can't bend over or anyting. It certainly puts a lot of extra work on her. Not only does she have to take care of the kids and the groceries and the appointments etc... but she has to help me put my pants on, change the bed sheets, put on shoes, go to appointments, and help me wash since I can't take a shower for another two weeks....
Well getting older surely bites.

Rest up, hope you feel better soon and can get back on the bike.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

That sucks dude. Were you wearing a spine protector?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That sucks dude. Were you wearing a spine protector?
Nope. I wasn't planning on riding "DH" or getting gnarly. I had really intended it to be a chill day since I was riding on my own.... In fact, my original plan was to ride a spot about 1 hour away. But since MSA was just 2 minutes up the road, I thought " what the hell, I'll just ride here and take it easy". Plus I was on my trail bike...

When I start riding again, I think I'll likely start wearing a camel back again, and look into getting one with an integrated spinal protector...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Tell her about my buddy that's a paraplegic and has all but like 3 or 4 of his vertebrae fused. And he's not even a mountain biker.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001

That sucks! I hope you heal rapidly!

I find there is a little something at MSA that somehow makes crashing worse. I´ve had so many crashes there thoughout the years, I am always more afraid of crashing at MSA than anywhere else. There are so many rocks and hidden "surprises" everywhere, a small crash on an easy trails can often turn into surprisingly nasty injuries. My experience at least...

There are are some lines I am sending without hesitation at Sentiers du Moulin that I probably wouldn't ride if they where at MSA. MSA is still (and will probably always be) my favorite place to ride, but my mojo is permanently slightly damaged from all the weird crashes I got there. ;)

Regarding the race, it was awesome, again. Actually, the whole 2021 WC DH Racing season is amazing.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That sucks! I hope you heal rapidly!

I find there is a little something at MSA that somehow makes crashing worse. I´ve had so many crashes there thoughout the years, I am always more afraid of crashing at MSA than anywhere else. There are so many rocks and hidden "surprises" everywhere, a small crash on an easy trails can often turn into surprisingly nasty injuries. My experience at least...

There are are some lines I am sending without hesitation at Sentiers du Moulin that I probably wouldn't ride if they where at MSA. MSA is still (and will probably always be) my favorite place to ride, but my mojo is permanently slightly damaged from all the weird crashes I got there. ;)

Regarding the race, it was awesome, again. Actually, the whole 2021 WC DH Racing season is amazing.
Why did I think you were in Whistler?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Why did I think you were in Whistler?
No idea! I wish I was in Whistler sometimes (don't we all?)...but I consider myself quite lucky to have access to all the great trails we have around here these days. I have my season pass at MSA, SDM and E47 and I don't bother driving elsewhere to ride.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
No idea! I wish I was in Whistler sometimes (don't we all?)...but I consider myself quite lucky to have access to all the great trails we have around here these days. I have my season pass at MSA, SDM and E47 and I don't bother driving elsewhere to ride.
yeah, the sheer number of quality riding areas out there is amazing.

Ironically, my original plan had been to go ride SDM. But our condo was 2 minutes up the road from MSA, and SDM would have been an hours drive. So I opted to stay close and ride the lifts. I suppose if my time had come, this could have happened at SDM too though. After 30 years of riding, I guess it was inevitable that my luck would run out (or my talent... depending on how you look at it!).

My buddies went up to VBdN this weekend. I'm still looking forward to discovering SDM and E47 next year...