Quantcast

Lenzerheide World Champs

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As funny as it would be for Maes to win, I'm rooting for MacDonald. Dude had the first race and after seeing him break the ground and then ride down with a broken collarbone....savage.

Pierron would be epic as well. Though looks like he took a big crash too.

Or Luca Shaw. After a bunch of close ones, dude go get it!

And at the back of my mind, though I know the chances are slim, if Finn Illes could grab it, that'd be pretty swell as well.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah. Tricky for sure. I watched the live feed of the Asian Championships about a couple of years back because my friend was racing and had a decent shot at the podium (flatted unfortunately). However, some slower competitors could not even clear the doubles near the finish line. If there is a very large gap in ability then the slowest riders will always get caught and could cause accidents and ruin the chances of others.

The guy who won the Asian Champs that day, Kazuki Shimizu has qualified 58th for this year's world champs in Lenzerheide. My friend has beaten him once (but on home turf) and I wonder how he would have fared if our national federation had the resources to send him to Switzerland and given him a chance to qualify especially because not all world cup regulars, e.g. Gee, would be there.

On the other hand, I also feel that world champs is a celebration of cycling and that representatives of all nations who came should be at the starting line on race day.
What country are you from if I may ask?

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
No custom Worlds bike for Rachel? Kade has nice custom Trek but Rachel is riding her old bike...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
No custom Worlds bike for Rachel? Kade has nice custom Trek but Rachel is riding her old bike...
rumor mill has athertons leaving trek. not giving rach a custom bike does seem petty tho. also noticed gee wearing an atherton racing tee rather than the usual trek factory racing garb in his preview.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
rumor mill has athertons leaving trek. not giving rach a custom bike does seem petty tho. also noticed gee wearing an atherton racing tee rather than the usual trek factory racing garb in his preview.
Hopefully they go to Specialized. It would really open up the Women's racing if Rachel suddenly couldn't break the top 5

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think it’s rad that Seagrave is pulling a lot closer on a consistent basis.
That season where Atherton literally won everything (usually by big margins) made the racing less interesting, even though it’s cemented her as legend status IMO.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
No track walk vids, and athertovision with crappy rock music instead of cathrovision...

I’m confused why UCI would think a media blackout is a good thing for World Champs.

I know, I know...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I assumed Jolanda Neff would take women's XC. NOPE!

KATE COURTNEY! Woo Hoo go girl!

They say it was the first USA woman's world champ since 2001, which I assume was Julie Furtado?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
That venue seems perfect. At least what i saw for xc. So many fans lining the course pretty much the entire course, some like 6 people deep, maybe more. And the finishing arena. So good. No way a Vail venue could match that kind of spectator friendly set up. The terrain just doesn't exist. Well done Lenzerheide.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
The reason there's no Cathro this time around is because he couldn't/wouldn't spend 800 eurodollars on the media rights from the UCI. Very understandable, to be honest.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The reason there's no Cathro this time around is because he couldn't/wouldn't spend 800 eurodollars on the media rights from the UCI. Very understandable, to be honest.
Honestly, if he had put out a Kickstarter or something to raise the funds I'm sure he could have gotten it no problem

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I assumed Jolanda Neff would take women's XC. NOPE!

KATE COURTNEY! Woo Hoo go girl!

They say it was the first USA woman's world champ since 2001, which I assume was Julie Furtado?
I thought Furtado as well, but from the 90s. 2001 was Alison Dunlap.

Not Furtado - she was done racing well before then anyway. Contracted some virus (lupus?) and left. And teams got tired of her aggressively propositioning the female racers and staff.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Propositioning? You mean what we'd call sexual harassment if it was done by a dude?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Honestly, if he had put out a Kickstarter or something to raise the funds I'm sure he could have gotten it no problem
Cathro has a Patreon that's pretty successful given the narrow scope of the material. On his Instagram he said he made the decision earlier this year, probably before his Patreon took off.