Quantcast

Lenzerheide World Champs

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I know her enough to be sure she would have not associated with any woo woo Gwyneth Palthrow approved bs yoga. Still it's funny to hear her tell me how the Czech rider that blocked a faster guy behind him. To quote her "as punishment you will be sent to enduro".

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Real talk though: I called this race pretty hard - Loic win, amaury crashing

Edit: Also, Maes is fast as shit, and I hope he does more DH racing next year and doesn't stick with enduro only
It is pretty ironic Sam Hill switching to Enduro might be what made Maes try dh again

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
@kidwoo told ya.

Is Rock Jeebus ever gonna earn some stripes?
How could Rob and Claudio not see the flat rear on Fearon's bike?
Pierron looked tired, esp. shortly before crashing.
Bruni played it safe in the last part, bad memories, eh?

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Was hoping Maes could pull it off. Congrats Bruni.
Mate this is the DH forum. Get out of here with that talk.

Decent race. Love the cable camera footage of the lower sections. Wish we could get that more often at WCs.

Fuck if I had a beer everytime Claudio makes a statement and then is immediately proven wrong by the split time I'd need a new liver.

650B winners (and mens top 3?)

*edit* Can we drop the fucking retarded start orders now?!?!? Top 20 qualifiers should be last 20 down the hill. Put the Whitely's riders before them for fucks sake.

Last edited:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Big, motor driven cable cam not a drone. One of the shots from the cameras on the ground showed it well. Even in Europe there's no way they're letting a drone fly that close to a gondola back and forth for several hours.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Mate this is the DH forum. Get out of here with that talk.

Decent race. Love the cable camera footage of the lower sections. Wish we could get that more often at WCs.

Fuck if I had a beer everytime Claudio makes a statement and then is immediately proven wrong by the split time I'd need a new liver.

650B winners (and mens top 3?)

*edit* Can we drop the fucking retarded start orders now?!?!? Top 20 qualifiers should be last 20 down the hill. Put the Whitely's riders before them for fucks sake.
Sorry mate. Was hoping Sam Hill could pull it off. Congrats Bruni. Better?

On a serious note Sam might race Worlds next year because he is having "world champs withdrawal" syndrome.

You think Gwin is gonna win one? Hasn't coped with the pressure so far at world champs.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Watched the mens live this morning, thankfully they didn't give the ladies results away as we watched that after riding.
Good run from Bruni, you could definitely see where Hart and Vergier lost their few tenths against him.

Wife was shouting at the screen towards the end of Rachel's run - she's a bit of a fan :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That fuckup where the crankless rider didn't get out of the way of the next rider could have been bad. I can't believe the blocked rider hit that roadgap afterwards despite losing all his speed.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
It wasn't pressure but lack of adaptation to the wagon wheels IMHO. The guy was charging on the first two sections and then his stamina dropped seriously. Those switchbacks after the road gap only made it worse.
How has he done in previous world champs? He lost his brakes one time as I recall. He finally got a medal just last year. Think he's gonna do a Peaty and win one during the later stages of his career?

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
He has stated in the past that World Champs isn’t his main focus, winning the World Cup overall is.
He said in a recent interview (can't recall which) that he wanted to win worlds since he's been racing it for a while now.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Gee's commenting was nice! Very professional

I was under the impression that there was more variation regarding line choice compared to previous races. Is it the track or the absence of Cathro's video that made for it? Or is it just me?

And very good year for the French downhill! :clapping:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Not sure what you mean. He finished with the rest of the 29er trash.

Was actually hoping for piererieireeoerreeonn to do it. Cuz that ain't been done in a while.
I meant given his speed he hasn't won world champs yet. And as I said above maybe he'll be like Peaty and finally win as his career winds down.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That fuckup where the crankless rider didn't get out of the way of the next rider could have been bad. I can't believe the blocked rider hit that roadgap afterwards despite losing all his speed.
I don't even understand why he finished his run. It's not the worldcup. No points on the line for lower positions. What's the difference between being 80th and 78th?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I don't even understand why he finished his run. It's not the worldcup. No points on the line for lower positions. What's the difference between being 80th and 78th?
There's a difference between DNF and 80th. Just saying. You see stuff like that all time during Worldchamps and/or Olympics in other sports.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
There's a difference between DNF and 80th. Just saying. You see stuff like that all time during Worldchamps and/or Olympics in other sports.
Yeah but why would you care? I never cared when I raced the local races. Does 80th place give you UCI points for the next season so you can quality for races?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah but why would you care? I never cared when I raced the local races. Does 80th place give you UCI points for the next season so you can quality for races?
:confused: ummmm... this isn't a "local" race?!?! Being able to say you raced in Worlds is a pretty big deal, imo. And eventually people will ask "cool! how'd you place?". I think being able to answer "80th, even with a broken crank" is better than "I didn't finish because I broke my crank".

but that's just me.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
:confused: ummmm... this isn't a "local" race?!?! Being able to say you raced in Worlds is a pretty big deal, imo. And eventually people will ask "cool! how'd you place?". I think being able to answer "80th, even with a broken crank" is better than "I didn't finish because I broke my crank".

but that's just me.
Yeah read into my post and claim I suggested Worlds and local races are similar in other ways than both being downhill races. To me saying "I was last but I had an excuse" and "I did not finish but I had an excuse" is the same. Especially if fighting for that 80th place means you ruin someones chances for a good result. To me not being a dick is more important than fighting for something that is meaningless and even though I am nowhere near fast enough to qualify for the world champs I'd just go off the track. I see no bragging rights for being 80th. I'd rather say I was top3 in my country. Seriously being a selfish dick for something so meaningless is stupid. I'd get it if that guy didn't risk slowing others down. Then yeah, you can even walk to the finish line if you want but that's not the case here.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

but that's just me.
And besides that, broken crank or not, you still have to get to the bottom of the hill somehow..

But yeah, totally blows that he blocked the other guy, but thinking about it from both sides, I doubt he did it on purpose (still no excuse).

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
And besides that, broken crank or not, you still have to get to the bottom of the hill somehow..

But yeah, totally blows that he blocked the other guy, but thinking about it from both sides, I doubt he did it on purpose (still no excuse).
I’m sure he’s not an idiot or purpose either.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

You can easily get to the bottom not riding on the track. @Da Peach I'm not so sure he's not an idiot. I was expecting this to happen as soon as I saw him continue to ride after a loooong stop. Also I assume he is an experienced rider so it must have happened to him before. Ffs it has happened to me and I'm not even fast so it's not super hard to predict what can happen here.