Quantcast

Leogang World Cup and 26 Trix

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
If y'all don't mind me asking a real question... what was the terrain for the top split at Leogagng. Looking at the splits, that is where Gwin won the race. So what was it and what did he do there that won him the race?

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
word, and really, even if there is a God, the last thing he/she/it cares about is some dude riding a bike down hills.
But the question is does Gwin's belief give him a mental edge? Just like it does Dungey and did Senna.

Belief in the supernatural could be a much bigger advantage than SPD's:)

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I think DH is going to see a lot more good ex- MX'ers trying to compete at a high level, it's going to be interesting to see how quickly this sport progresses in the next couple years. I really hope that translates into more bike parks for us consumers!!

Gwin seems to make a lot of time in the air, he is lower and faster than anybody else. Watching the first 200ft side by side, it seems like he had a 1/4 second into Gee by the first little slap berm and accelerated out of it, He also gained time going into the rubbery mat thing by the tunnel. Maybe it's god but I tend to think it's just a desire and confidence that comes from skill. Mr. Gwin is a beast right now.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I think DH is going to see a lot more good ex- MX'ers trying to compete at a high level, it's going to be interesting to see how quickly this sport progresses in the next couple years. I really hope that translates into more bike parks for us consumers!!

Gwin seems to make a lot of time in the air, he is lower and faster than anybody else. Watching the first 200ft side by side, it seems like he had a 1/4 second into Gee by the first little slap berm and accelerated out of it, He also gained time going into the rubbery mat thing by the tunnel. Maybe it's god but I tend to think it's just a desire and confidence that comes from skill. Mr. Gwin is a beast right now.
Gwin is on a mission to scrub things in races, moto style. He can't stand the "MTB" version of a scrub, which is normally just a whip. He is actually trying to slide both wheels up faces now and scrub them the same way stewart does. It's going to be ridiculous when he can do it consistently.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
Gwin is on a mission to scrub things in races, moto style. He can't stand the "MTB" version of a scrub, which is normally just a whip. He is actually trying to slide both wheels up faces now and scrub them the same way stewart does. It's going to be ridiculous when he can do it consistently.
so true, it's amazing how he is actually scrubbing. if you see the dirt tv video of the finals when he comes into the finish area and hits the last jump, he properly scrubs that at a speed I can just about comprehend...it is awesome to see it being done.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I don't know jack about Motos. Is scrubbing fast, or just stylie?

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Gwin deffinitly pulls real scrubs compaired to the rest that are just doing a whip and calling it a scrub.

I do love seeing these scrubs the moto guys are doing:D.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
so true, it's amazing how he is actually scrubbing. if you see the dirt tv video of the finals when he comes into the finish area and hits the last jump, he properly scrubs that at a speed I can just about comprehend...it is awesome to see it being done.
Agreed. That was simply unreal. I've never seen a jump scrubbed on a bike anywhere near that fast.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
Empirical evidence suggests an overuse of quotation marks makes you "annoying," and the inability to recognize your own "facts" as actually being "opinions" makes you sound like a "rhetard."
Excuse me, but while bike racing might be a strength of yours, wordsmithing clearly is not.

Quotation marks can be used to show that the phrase enclosed is a euphemism, informally "defined" (example right there) by the person mis-using the word or phrase in a manner other than how it's formally defined.

So if someone offers up pure opinion as a fact, I would call it a "fact" and not a fact.

Go ahead and feel defensive for having writing skills that are well off the back. It just shows you put in the time riding, not learning English.

Meanwhile, I submit you are confused: you think that rider efficiency and pedaling efficiency are the same. They are not. While clipless mechnical connection is more efficient from a pedaling perspective, for a rider who isn't confident in the clipless attachment, it's a less efficient feature or equipment use.

So something can be better at pedaling efficiency, but that efficiency may not be realized if the rider can't maximize his own techniques with the clipless pedal. That would be pedaling efficient, rider inefficient.

What if, given the dynamic nature of downhill racing, the most efficiency is gained from "not" being mechanically connected to the pedals. I don't recall ever seeing a WC run where clipless riders did not remove their feet from the pedals.
I think you're talking about what I just typed -- rider efficiency, vs pedaling efficiency. Pedaling is only one component of riding a bicycle and obviously in many DH race settings, it's well under-played or under-used.

I'm only talking about pedaling as pedaling. As a mechanical means of propelling the bicycle forward.

The people arguing against me are talking about using the pedals like pegs on a moto, being able to manipulate the bike with different ways of standing on the pedals and different ways of weighting them. They're not talking about pedaling. They're talking about standing on pedals while going downhill with static (non-cycling) feet.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
so on a different subject then trolls on clipless pedals, holy fyck, just read the syndicate write up, apparently peaty fractured his ulna and then raced? and put up a pretty reasonable run? wtf, I thought he was just old, but it sounds like he's genuinely having bad luck, and is still a contender.

Props to the old bastard! Hope to see him on top in MSA.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
so on a different subject then trolls on clipless pedals, holy fyck, just read the syndicate write up, apparently peaty fractured his ulna and then raced? and put up a pretty reasonable run? wtf, I thought he was just old, but it sounds like he's genuinely having bad luck, and is still a contender.

Props to the old bastard! Hope to see him on top in MSA.
Yeah, during the Freecaster stream, they were talking about how they saw him with his hand in a bucket of ice water in the pits when he wasn't riding and that his hand had swelled up pretty bad.

Pretty badass to put a run like that together with an injury like that. :thumb:

edit - so it was his ulna? Wow. They kept saying it was his hand.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
A fractured ulna that must hurt as fawk,big props to peaty for riding with such injury and putting a good result.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
They said he borrowed a wrist/arm brace from someone, I think it was Matti L.

With Matti's luck I am sure he has a brace for just about every part of the body.:(

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so on a different subject then trolls on clipless pedals, holy fyck, just read the syndicate write up, apparently peaty fractured his ulna and then raced?
have a link to that?

here he says it was his hand:
"My final practice run at Leogang caught me out though, I railed a berm too hot and managed to hit a tree pretty hard, I thought I’d bust my hand-up pretty bad. Once down at the pits it had swollen a lot, looked like an Elephants ankle haha. I managed to strap it for the race and cruised down – managed 12th – not happy. Flew back right away so I could get some X-rays done and they confirmed I’ve broken it. So with a slightly grumpy expression I’m now concentrating on getting that fixed in time for Mt Saint Anne W/Cup on July 4th."
http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/Vital-MTB-Injury-Report,312?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=spotlight

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
But the question is does Gwin's belief give him a mental edge? Just like it does Dungey and did Senna.

Belief in the supernatural could be a much bigger advantage than SPD's:)
I believe in the supernatural and can confirm it does not give any mental advantage. :)

As for thanking god at the finish, it's just a shout out. Like thanking your mom. She didn't help you win the race, but she's been good to you!

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I believe in the supernatural and can confirm it does not give any mental advantage. :)

As for thanking god at the finish, it's just a shout out. Like thanking your mom. She didn't help you win the race, but she's been good to you!
Except your mom is real.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Except your mom is real.

honestly discussing the whether god is real or not will not help this thread.
for some people god is real for other's just an imaginary friend but in the end it doesn't matter as long as you are not hating on people who do not share your point of view.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Loved the Allride vid.

Can someone explain the scrub to this Unfrozen Caveman Downhiller? I saw the video of Stewart. I didn't realize this is done on straights. Don't understand at all how it makes him go faster in a straightline. I had figured it was a way to cut the corner better. How does it apply when you don't have a throttle? Is he somehow throwing the bike up the face of the jump? As long as he stays with the bike, it seems like momentum has to be conserved and he can't win that way.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
honestly discussing the whether god is real or not will not help this thread.
for some people god is real for other's just an imaginary friend but in the end it doesn't matter as long as you are not hating on people who do not share your point of view.
We've got people bringing up whether or not belief in a higher power translates to improved performance in downhill mountain biking.

Don't point the finger at me for crossing the line.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Loved the Allride vid.

Can someone explain the scrub to this Unfrozen Caveman Downhiller? I saw the video of Stewart. I didn't realize this is done on straights. Don't understand at all how it makes him go faster in a straightline. I had figured it was a way to cut the corner better. How does it apply when you don't have a throttle? Is he somehow throwing the bike up the face of the jump? As long as he stays with the bike, it seems like momentum has to be conserved and he can't win that way.
Can stay on ground longer and on throttle more. BMX was staying low and fast before MX. God no God is somewhat irrelevant here because he is FASTER THAN ANYONE ON HERE or IN THE WORLD right now whatever he is doing it seems to be working!:weee:

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Loved the Allride vid.

You want to minimize the amount of speed that you waste in the vertical direction. The MX guys use the throttle break traction and slide off the face of the jump, which keeps it from kicking you up in the air. So what Gwin's trying to do is essentially the same. Throw the bike into a slide right on the face of the jump to stay as low as possible.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Can stay on ground longer and on throttle more. BMX was staying low and fast before MX. God no God is somewhat irrelevant here because he is FASTER THAN ANYONE ON HERE or IN THE WORLD right now whatever he is doing it seems to be working!:weee:
dude, we can hear you. no need to yell.

and for the sake of clarity, I'm guessing that staying on the ground longer has two big advantages: the ability to pedal earlier, and traction (ie the ability to corner and set up for corners better). also I would imagine limiting your hang time is also quicker. Just look at the tri-ride video. at around the 5 minute mark they've got Brendawg, Hart, CG and Gwin hitting the same table. Even though it's practice, and not everyone is trying to go fast (Bren), it clearly illustrates how much faster scrubbing that jump is. Bren boosts and Gwin scrubs. Gwin = faster.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Anybody think there are some WCers practicing their scrubs before MSA?

I guess that staying low makes sense. I can't see how it could allow him to pedal longer since he'd be hitting his pedals while the bike is flat. And yeah, it was very clear in the Triride video how much different his approach to that jump was. Also, it was apparent that Danny Hart doesn't need traction. The shot of him coming in to the finish line was nuts.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I can't see how it could allow him to pedal longer since he'd be hitting his pedals while the bike is flat.
I don't think it's longer. I think it's earlier (since he reconnects with the ground sooner).

what I don't understand is how he breaks traction as he's coming up the face of the jump. If the moto guys use their throttle to do that, I don't think there's any way pedalling could do anything to break traction in a mtb situation... :rolleyes: all I can think of is some form of a prehop to lighten the bike, and then muscling the fvck out of the bike to start slipping early. but that would take wicked strength and coordination. which he seems to possess in spades.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I don't think it's longer. I think it's earlier (since he reconnects with the ground sooner).

what I don't understand is how he breaks traction as he's coming up the face of the jump. If the moto guys use their throttle to do that, I don't think there's any way pedalling could do anything to break traction in a mtb situation... :rolleyes: all I can think of is some form of a prehop to lighten the bike, and then muscling the fvck out of the bike to start slipping early. but that would take wicked strength and coordination. which he seems to possess in spades.
If you're interested in prehopping, see Dave Cullinan cira '92-'93. There was an article in one of the magazines about it back then.

Pre-hop, avoid the lip, pedal in the air, pull up to get the rear wheel back ASAP, then gogogogogogogo.