Quantcast

Leogang World Cup - Live Thread

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Suprised no one has mentioned what Hill might have been able to do in those conditions... Stellar performances by Gee and Greg nontheless.
If we are going to talk what if's....

I can't imagine what Nico could have done here in his hey-day, or Pascal when he was on form. Or what if someone had rode a 29er DH bike, they would have put in another 5 seconds on the winner ;)

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Speaking of Pascal... He had some pretty wacky splits! 28th place on the 1st and 25th place on the 2nd, then made it up to 19th place by the bottom.

Oh and suprised no one has mentioned what a killer job Strobel has been doing so far this season. Consistency is getting there and if he can find just that little bit of extra speed (and I'm sure he will riding with Stevie) he could become an occasional spoiler for the big dawgs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Watched the Bryceland crash, didn't Cecric say Bryceland's face was already jacked up from practice? Teeth knocked out? Ouch. That kid is still a future WC winner. I'm sure of it, I don't know when it will be, but he's gonna be winning races.
He was so shaky when he got up, that was crazy... Almost looked like a knock-out. I hope he can avoid the big concussions long enough to play to his full potential. Hope he's ok.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
any news on that dude that busted his leg in 4X? despite seeing the warnings in this thread, I accidentally saw it while watching the replay and just about lost my lunch. I sincerely hope he's ok. that was gruesome.

Hope Rachel heals quick too.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just watched the Dirt finals vid. Watching Gwin's face made me very proud. The reason? Because he was fricking PISSED OFF! He wants the win, not the podium. And that's the way it has to be. It shows he belongs and he's gonna keep coming at them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just watched the Dirt finals vid. Watching Gwin's face made me very proud. The reason? Because he was fricking PISSED OFF! He wants the win, not the podium. And that's the way it has to be. It shows he belongs and he's gonna keep coming at them.
I'm still trying to figure out how a moto dude from socal who's been riding bikes for like 5 minutes can absolutely kill it in the muddy roots. :D

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Any word on Rach? Really hope her season isn't done. It's been good racing between her and Jonnier. I'm sure Jonnier would not be 'Appy if she didn't have Rach to challenge her.

dondon

Monkey
Actually Greg's win proves my point, which was --and is-- that the holes were not a problem.

Please try your mind-reading skills some other time.:p

If I had to speculate about Minnaar's and Peat's complaints about the holes after the track-walk, I'd say it was to give the journos something to write. Feel free to make another bad guess at what my remarks have meant up 'til now, though! :D

To set the record straight on the rough track and holes comments/complaints that Greg, Steve and a lot of the other top riders complained about.

They are fully justified in their comments. Of course they can and will ride whatever is in front of them regardless of conditions, but they know a thing or two after a combined 30 years of world cup racing. World Cups are the pinnacle of the sport that is why there is nothing wrong with wanting the tracks to be of a certain standard. When there are holes and ruts and mud bogs in dips before jumps and bridges and in steep sections before practice has even started it can only go one way. A lot of the potential big lines, gaps, doubles, triples etc were not able to be hit because of the track prep. Granted the organizers had less time to prepare after Schladming fell away, but still.

A better prepped track makes for better racing, better video, better action and allows for even harder and riskier lines. They were not wanting a smooth easy track far from it. So please try not to analyze every statement the pros make when you are not there in person.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
any news on that dude that busted his leg in 4X? despite seeing the warnings in this thread, I accidentally saw it while watching the replay and just about lost my lunch. I sincerely hope he's ok. that was gruesome.

Hope Rachel heals quick too.
On the Freecaster page, he posted up:

thanks for the replay! for all the questions.. I'm at home now.. foot is destroyed.
and i'm sorry for that delay and night finals :P

That was gnarly.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
On the Freecaster page, he posted up:

thanks for the replay! for all the questions.. I'm at home now.. foot is destroyed.
and i'm sorry for that delay and night finals :P

That was gnarly.
Can't see details on his facebook. I hope there is no permanent damage. Graf really was the up and comer this season. Riding super strong the first rounds. Qualied really good too. I'm pretty sure he went OTB in the other muddy 4x in Maribor.

Fishbach and Prokop both got lucky in there crashes. Prokop's crash was pretty gnarly looking. He bounced like crazy trying the triple double combo (that only Graves was doing consistently all night...). Fishbach's crash was also on the same combo.

Anyway, it was really a good race too watch. Loved it. The RSP mafia wasn't able to squeeze the lone Yeti gunner! Graves also looked a bit pissed in the post race interview saying that people were trying to bully him!

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Can't see details on his facebook. I hope there is no permanent damage. Graf really was the up and comer this season. Riding super strong the first rounds. Qualied really good too. I'm pretty sure he went OTB in the other muddy 4x in Maribor.

Fishbach and Prokop both got lucky in there crashes. Prokop's crash was pretty gnarly looking. He bounced like crazy trying the triple double combo (that only Graves was doing consistently all night...). Fishbach's crash was also on the same combo.

Anyway, it was really a good race too watch. Loved it. The RSP mafia wasn't able to squeeze the lone Yeti gunner! Graves also looked a bit pissed in the post race interview saying that people were trying to bully him!
When I saw Prokop slam into that jump, I was sure he was down and out. Seeing him get up and ride to the bottom of the course...that dude is a monster. Was so glad to see him get back up though.

I was rooting for the MSP guys, Marosi was killing it!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
When I saw Prokop slam into that jump, I was sure he was down and out. Seeing him get up and ride to the bottom of the course...that dude is a monster. Was so glad to see him get back up though.

I was rooting for the MSP guys, Marosi was killing it!
think he was pretty lucky that it was wet and slippery

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
think he was pretty lucky that it was wet and slippery
Maybe, but the fact that he slammed into the face of that jump hard enough to flip over the other side after impact...and then someone handed him his bike and he rode the rest of the course. He's a monster.

I cringed every time they dropped in though...so much carnage in those first 2 turns.

Hell yeah for Marosi though, givin' 'er!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Just finished watching the DH replay.
I know its a small thing...and no slander on ANY riders...but I was glad to see Gwin and Cole remove their hats when they played the South Africa National Anthem for Minaar.

zzsean

Chimp
Jun 29, 2007
Boulder, CO
Just finished watching the DH replay.
I know its a small thing...and no slander on ANY riders...but I was glad to see Gwin and Cole remove their hats when they played the South Africa National Anthem for Minaar.
That was a pretty funny little section of the day. You could see Gwin take his hat of and then get confused when it looked like Greg wasn't going to and put it back on, but then take it off when Greg did once the music started playing.

It is a cultural thing however as well as we (or at least I and my family and friends) never took our hat of when the Australian anthem played at home for sporting events. It was strange the first time I went to an event here in the USA and every took their hat off.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
It is a cultural thing however as well as we (or at least I and my family and friends) never took our hat of when the Australian anthem played at home for sporting events. It was strange the first time I went to an event here in the USA and every took their hat off.
Ok, I figured as much, that's why I said I wasn't trying to slag Gee or Blenki. I've also had a friend from Australia make a similar remark.

Still thought it was cool!

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Ok, I figured as much, that's why I said I wasn't trying to slag Gee or Blenki. I've also had a friend from Australia make a similar remark.

Still thought it was cool!
I never take my hat off for the "national anthem." Yes, I'm an American. Born and bred here, lived here all my life. Don't put my hand over my heart either. We're not in a fascist country... yet.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I never take my hat off for the "national anthem." Yes, I'm an American. Born and bred here, lived here all my life. Don't put my hand over my heart either. We're not in a fascist country... yet.
Ok...:confused:

Um...Good for you? I don't get the point of this post...