Quantcast

Les Gets 2022 - World Champs!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. kinda.
I meant no one was robbed by a puncture. especially us. the viewing public. ;)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Anyone know what happened to Jackson?
Never seen his instagram so devoid of content after a WC

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Great Race. I wish that the camera work was better as it was terrible or me. I tried to keep a good attitude about it but I felt as if I was being robbed.

Bruni was Super. Still cannot figure out those 2 seconds he put on everyone? Mabye we would know more if there was a camera? Calm under Mad Pressure he was.

Poor TBow,he was gutted! I was happy to see Gwin give him Love,Gwin know’s that feeling. I swear he launched that step down faster than anyone I saw? That was Krazy! He looked so fast. Of the French,I was pulling for Benoit,but for some odd reason,TBow felt the worse for me.

Greenland was beautiful,like so many he lost mad time on the home stretch. I wonder how strong he was after the stomach flu?

Troy gave it all he had,tire marks on his ass and all.

My Gwin placed the same as qually,I thought he would be faster,still he is doing good. 1 Race Togo.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I wish that the camera work was better as it was terrible or me.
YOU

Bruni for example had 2min+ of on course footage televised live. of a 3min20 run. ie. more than half the track on screen. That's a pretty amazing feat on an alpine mountain full of trees. for FREE.

#Whinemonkey

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
YOU

Bruni for example had 2min+ of on course footage televised live. of a 3min20 run. ie. more than half the track on screen. That's a pretty amazing feat on an alpine mountain full of trees. for FREE.

#Whinemonkey
Easy Tiger. Whinemonkey is not called for. The coverage was shit. Bruni had the most time,fine,it was still shit
coverage. Calm down.

Avy

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
YOU

#Whinemonkey
I'm totally with you that the total amount of coverage was fine, but it was kinda the case that we missed out on the portion of the track where the race was decided. Times through splits 3-5 were largely pretty tight (with a few exceptions, yes)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Bruni had the most time.
No. Bruni was simply the easiest rider for me to go back and count screen time for.
all the top guys shared a similar amount.

To show full coverage of each rider the elite mens race coverage alone would take over 5 hours to broadcast. And couldn't possibly be broadcast live as more than one ride is on course at a time during the event.

If you're going to whinge at least have the faintest clue about the subject you're whingeing about. Did I mention your whingeing?

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
one other thing. i don't often whinge, but the current term du jour of "having a hugey" sets my teeth on edge as much as hearing "gutted" every other sentence a few years back. /mini rant. on to val de sole!!!

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
but it was kinda the case that we missed out on the portion of the track where the race was decided
That's just the luck of the draw. And camera placement logistics asside. No one could have predicted Bruni would put 2.5 seconds into every other rider in the second split.
Gaps between next fastest guys in that sector were closer. No?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
one other thing. i don't often whinge, but the current term du jour of "having a hugey" sets my teeth on edge as much as hearing "gutted" every other sentence a few years back. /mini rant. on to val de sole!!!
Old guys rarely welcome change.

For me it was when Peaty came home and polluted British DH at the end of the 90s with the word "stoked"

Mountain bikers en mass have zero originality in personality.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
#whinemonkey referring to the DH forum @Avy. Rather than a dig at just you
Add #whineFOX to the list! Jordi being so negative in Dialed about not winning a senior World championship is a disgrace to their athletes. Nina was super close, Myriam also on the podium. 1 Fox rider on the men's podium as well.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's just the luck of the draw. And camera placement logistics asside. No one could have predicted Bruni would put 2.5 seconds into every other rider in the second split.
I'm kinda drunk and haven't done any sort of detailed analysis but my memory was that the missing sector was pretty determinative in the standings for the top men in particular.

The race was great and I enjoyed the hell out of watching. But I still think there was obvious room for improvement there.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I very rarely ever watch dialed.
Jordi's mouth forms audible words but says nothing. and I rarely find the rest of the content interesting enough to merit watching a 10 minute episode.
With podcasts, rider and team youtube channels etc. There's too much mtb media these days for what actually goes on in mtb and i swear most mtbers nowadays watch and listen to way more hours of mtb media than they spend actually riding their bikes

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Camera positioning has also a lot more to do with crowds and closeness to riders. Bruni probably sprinted his ass off on a flat/boring section of the track, where only a drone would have been able to follow him. He probably figured out he wouldn't be any faster than the rest of the field in the lower/more technical part of the track.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
missing sector
The entire sector folk are moaning about not seeing wasn't missing. just parts of it. and Bruni's AVERAGE speed through it was simply faster. i don't think we missed any magical move by him.

Going from when each split time popped on screen for the fastest (last) riders. the "live" broadcast showed:
15-18 seconds of sector #1,
20-24sec of sector #2,
28-30sec sector #3
18-20 sec sector #4
30 secs sector #5)
and the full15 secs ish until the finish (which is generally the case with the broadcast case at ALL WC races)

The last 3 sectors felt far more continuously broadcast becase of the open nature of the track and longer/wider camera pans. There were still parts small missing even there. cleverly cut to the podium/crowd etc.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Bruni probably sprinted his ass off on a flat/boring section of the track
:rofl: :rofl:

along the side of the lake is the only section i could see that fits your description and it's only 6 seconds long.
If Bruni took 2.5 secs out of every other rider there get that boy and his drugs coach into the olympic track sprint

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I doubt that's a full lockout. Maybe changing the spring rate or compression on the fly?

If he's racing it at Worlds, the UCI must have evaluated it as OK for competition.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I chuckle when I hear E. Jackson constantly giving a valley girl "fer sher". Gwinn and Dak appropriately do it too but I noticed a whole lot of the other riders say it too including the Frenchies.

Last edited:

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
What is this sorcery? Logic had an electronic lock out on his suspension it looks like.
Kind of a bullshit move. AFAIK, he's the only guy that's got access to this technology so he's got one up on the rest of the field, which is otherwise pretty much even in terms of tech/bike performance. Moar regulation needed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Kind of a bullshit move. AFAIK, he's the only guy that's got access to this technology so he's got one up on the rest of the field, which is otherwise pretty much even in terms of tech/bike performance. Moar regulation needed.
Bit of a laugh to call it technology, more of trying something that has been around for a long time. Perhaps the "electronic " part is new but whatever. Welcome to an XC bike from 2005.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
It's not inconceivable that he and Finn have some hardware tucked away (Finn in the weed bag, Loic in the carbon fiber weed vault) that detects where they are on course or in their run and makes some adjustments or loads a preset on the fly based on that. There's probably a manual override in case the hardware goes all HAL-9000 mid run.

Thought number two: The system controls a number of suspension presets, front and rear, and also enables full freewheeling at the cassette (or BB?) in the steeps. I bet that you could set that up to preserve some tension on the cranks to retain somewhat normal crank/pedal feel while still releasing the chain from its duties.

Then again, it could just be the vroom vroom motor button.

Should DH have homologation rules? DISCUSS.

This post brought to you by midnight indigestion from too much pizza at my son's Nerf battle party last night.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Don't give the UCI any ideas or they'll start mandating 80s bikes and tell riders where they can put their hands on the bars, both of which are real pulls from what they've done in road racing.

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Rob and Elliot mentioned several times during the broadcast that sector 2 was about 1:50 long which means that sector covered half of the course.
Which would explain why we saw a lot of difference between riders in that sector alone.
Sure , Bruni smashed sector 2 but it looks like he rode the whole course at a similar pace and better than everyone else obviously.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
What is this sorcery? Logic had an electronic lock out on his suspension it looks like.
He's been running that setup since last year at least. Looks like it's not autonomous, he can engage/disengage the shock's pedal assist mode with the handlebar buttons.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Rob and Elliot mentioned several times during the broadcast that sector 2 was about 1:50 long which means that sector covered half of the course.
Which would explain why we saw a lot of difference between riders in that sector alone.
Nah. The second split was at around 1:50 (1:48 for Bruni) Meaning the first two sectors combined. So sector 2 on it's own would have been somewhere around half that length. Half of which was televised.
I for one am glad they chose not to film the pedal round the side of the lake.
Omitting the lake that's probably only leaving out somewhere around 25 seconds of sector 2 we didn't get to see but Cest la vie, uh?

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Settling in to watch Tommy Pidders lap the rest of the elite XC field.

PFP sure did peak! Fancy that.