Quantcast

Les Gets World Cup or showing them Americans on how to gather a sizable crowd

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
i think it'd be fantastic to have a UCI WC stop in south america. but all the teams would complain. ALL. OF. THEM. it'd probably ruin their seasons travel budgets. hell, they complain when they have to come to north america for more than MSA.
rightfully so, european tracks just fit better into my viewing schedules, watching a race in the middle of the night just sucks

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Congrats to Tracey Hannah on locking up the women's overall, and possibly winning world champs!

Atherton exploded her Achilles tendon.
Damn, while I am big TH fan, I would much, much prefer she beat Rach straight up in the overall. Seems like there's been a buncha elite talent injuries this year for both DH and Endureau. If they would just start wearing my rubber bracelets (What Would Jackalope Do? Go Slow!), this might not be happening.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Season? If she really did rupture her Achilles, it might be a real damn long road back for her. I'm not sure if its as devastating as it is in basketball (i.e. you're never the same player, even if you actually can come back), but its super no bueno.
yea. season. :( depending on the severity its a 4-6 month recovery, on average.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
That's venti AF...but I really wouldn't consider that jump "landing to flat", but do we know if thats the one that got her? EDIT - I may be misreading her statement, as she says "flat jump" which may mean its not a lipped jump.

yea. season. :( depending on the severity its a 4-6 month recovery, on average.
Oh yeah, I definitely thought that was the season, but I was more concerned her ever coming back as a true top contender. With NBA'er Kevin Durant, its expected to be at *least* a year, but obviously roundball is a pretty different sport than Down-Country-Hills. Hopefully its not as critical for doing bikes and she'll be back in top form come next season.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh yeah, I definitely thought that was the season, but I was more concerned her ever coming back as a true top contender. With NBA'er Kevin Durant, its expected to be at *least* a year, but obviously roundball is a pretty different sport than Down-Country-Hills. Hopefully its not as critical for doing bikes and she'll be back in top form come next season.
ah i get you now. offhand i don't of any top level DH'ers who have had this kind of injury.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
terrible news for rach. I guess if there is a bright side, the playing field may be more level when she comes back. Might make ladies' racing far more interesting to watch...but I'd rather just see her healthy and let the competitors come up naturally.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
isn't there some sort of special kind of bike-cycle that people always say is great for those who have been injured and magically allows them to shred the gnurz again. what was it called?...a-bike? no, that's not it...z-bike? nah. b-bike? nope. DANG if only i could remember i could tell rach and i bet she would be back on pace in no-time!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wow huge bummer for Rach, if it's actually ruptured that is a nasty injury.

Kevin Durant is an interesting chance for some perspective: He tore his achilles, is out for at least a year with serious questions as to the level at which he'll return, and he was arguably already on the down slope of this career regardless. With all of that, he just signed a 4-year deal for $164M (not including endorsement deals, etc.).

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
That's horrible. Not trying to be Donnie Downer, but if it is actually ruptured, she would miss the whole 2020 season as well. Terrible injury.
As usual, I hope you're wrong and you get/have shingles, but this was posted by someone in the PB article about Rach -

"Sucks so much! I know how she feels. Ruptured mine last October and was actually back on the bike by late March of this year and feeling pretty much back to normal by May, thanks to the miracles of modern medicine. Definitely a huge setback but a professional athlete like her should have no problem getting back to top form by the start of next season. Thankfully MTB is not like basketball..."

So at least in that example, the recovery was relatively quick, albeit, this is likely a weekend warrior and not a top level WC racer. Someone else said riding clips tends to be a contributing factor in Achilles injuries, which seems suspect, but then again, I need very little motivation to trumpet the old war cry of "flat pedals win medals" (i.e. Sam Hill nor Conor Fearon have ever had Achilles injuries...#science!)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Someone else said riding clips tends to be a contributing factor in Achilles injuries, which seems suspect, but then again, I need very little motivation to trumpet the old war cry of "flat pedals win medals" (i.e. Sam Hill nor Conor Fearon have ever had Achilles injuries...#science!)
Could contribute, but it seems like that's less of an issue now that most shoes allow you to run clips farther back, resulting in less leverage on the tendon. Plus, not sure what Rach rides (mallets?) but DH-style clipless pedals provide pretty good support.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
haha i was in the crowd watching kerr's gap, seeing it in the flesh was some fucken spectacle. mad respect.
Pleney was quite popular with the pros, had to take way longer breaks up top to let them all go before me. Soooome pace they go at.

Last edited: