Quantcast

Les pneu de Hutchinson est arriver.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Les pneu de Hutchinson sont arriver.(ya my french sucks, but they are french tires so i'll give it a try)

This isn't spam, Hutchinson has been nice enough to sponsor the Dropmachine.com/Commencal Team (thanks to Marc Gullickson for your help) and I have heard and responded to several questions about their tires over the last couple years, so I thought I would let you get a look at the new tires from them for 2005

Have a look, the Octopus 2.5' and 2.8's look amazing they have done everything that was asked of them to improve, i remember talking to Cedric at whistler last year and we both agreed the sidewalls and outer knobs needed to be beefed up big time and they listened with dual ply 27tpi sidewalls and bigger chubbby stronger knobs.
Also a great addition is the 2 available compounds, we have the MRC Medium (sticky but actually last more than a weekend) and the MRC Low (stickiest)are still to be shipped but with just the finger test compared to a Maxxis Slow reezay they seem very similar as they are both dual compound rubbers, i suspect the MRC Low will be closer to a Maxxis Super Tacky, so essentially a race run tire.
We also decided that their new Bulldog tire would be a great 4x tire at around 600gr in a 2.3 with wire bead and 127tpi walls.
All the DH/Freeride tires are UST compatible as well.

Our 4X tires
Hutchinson Bulldog 26x2.3 Air Light

Our DH tires
Hutchinson Octopus MRC med 26x2.3 and 26x2.5

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Looks nice.

Tell me a little bit more about the tire - it kind of looks a little bit like a Highroller with bigger knobs? What conditions are they fore? What durometer? Whats the price?

Tire tires tires - its driving me nuts this year. I wanted to go UST but with the delay of the new Mavic UST rim I am back on stans setup. Now Maxxis are not making the SRY anymore. I just have no idea what to run this year.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
CBJ said:
Looks nice.

Tell me a little bit more about the tire - it kind of looks a little bit like a Highroller with bigger knobs? What conditions are they fore? What durometer? Whats the price?

Tire tires tires - its driving me nuts this year. I wanted to go UST but with the delay of the new Mavic UST rim I am back on stans setup. Now Maxxis are not making the SRY anymore. I just have no idea what to run this year.
i added more up top to my review

but yes they are high roller meets comp 16, the side knobs are a bit more aggressive that a comp 16, but they appear as thought the ramped knobs will roll and roll and roll, i'd say they will be good for anything but the mudiest conditions, which you would then replace with a Bulldog 2.5

the MRC Low Durometer is mid 30's the MRC Medium is mid 40's

as for price they should sit right in with everyone else $50-60 MSRP usd i would imagine
i rode their original Octopus a few times but the side walls were to weak for really rocky terrain and the outer knobs gave away when you pushed them hard, they have certainly addressed all these issues and more

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Definately let us know how those side knobs hold up. I have some comp 16's and love them, but the side knobs are starting to shear even though the tread still has plenty of life, so if Hutchinson can improve on that general design then sweet!

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Bikeparts.com has them all listed just not all in stock.

One thing I noticed is that they work better at much lower pressure than a Comp 16 ( with tubes ). I found the old Octo 2.3" to be a great tire and the weight seems very light. They are a big 2.3"

I am Curious about the new casings if the weight has gone up a bit. I will run a 2.3" up front this year as well.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
did you happen to use one of those internet translators? some kids in my french class tried that and their sentances were kind of like yours

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
dirtjumpP.1 said:
did you happen to use one of those internet translators? some kids in my french class tried that and their sentances were kind of like yours
nope k-6 french immersion but i dont get to use it much and its been a long time since grade six, ican talk and read a million times better than i can write, its always the hardest

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
lovebunny said:
whaaat orven hasnt posted in here yet? the definatly are sweet tires from what ive seen
I've been intermitently riding them for several years now -back to the Jumbo's -so I think I have established to myself why I like Hutchinsons.
Seriously though, glad to have Hutchie finally aggressively push their tires out of a niche. Unless you're mentally stuck to what you ride for tires, the Octo 2.5/2.3 are such a good alternative/option to the normal staple of DH/FR tires in the market. Good line-up and still lots of good stuff to come down the road.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
dirtjumpP.1 said:
actually.... *sounding like a nerd* arrives should be the infinitive 'arriver'
No, it is fine as it is.

"Les pneus Hutchinson sont arrivés" is 100% correct. To use the infinitive, is would have to be (for example):
"J'ai hâte de voir arriver les nouveaux pneus Hutchinson"

:)

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
[un] said:
There's also the new Python 2.3 (UST/MRC) with wire casing... no longer an exclusive XC tire, but a real new alternative for dry trails, super-D, 4X.

See attached:

i agree the newer outer knobs will help that tire out a lot
only prob is its heavy compared to the Bulldog, just over 1000gr for the 2.3 wire, we are going to try those out when our next batch arrives, i'll be sure to review

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
sirbikealot said:
i agree the newer outer knobs will help that tire out a lot
only prob is its heavy compared to the Bulldog, just over 1000gr for the 2.3 wire, we are going to try those out when our next batch arrives, i'll be sure to review
sirbikealot - can you post up that review you mentioned? i am looking at the pythons.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Cant Climb said:
Hutchies have excellent grip, crazy fast rolling speed, very very durable for a soft compound, they set up excellent for tubeless.......but they still have a flatting problem......you have to run high pressure to prevent pinch flatting and that high PSI negates alot of wonderful aspects of the tire....
ive been running octos for the past couple months. and i find that they actually work better at a higher psi. not crazy high but they have a tendancy to fold over at lower pressures. i think im running mine somwhere between 25 and 30. it also makes them roll insanely fast. my favorite combo is a 2.5 octo up front with a 2.5 bulldog in back. its a fast rolling tire combo that corners better than anything ive tried. im using the sticky 35 duros right now but it works great on the 48s too

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
lovebunny said:
ive been running octos for the past couple months. and i find that they actually work better at a higher psi. not crazy high but they have a tendancy to fold over at lower pressures. i think im running mine somwhere between 25 and 30. it also makes them roll insanely fast. my favorite combo is a 2.5 octo up front with a 2.5 bulldog in back. its a fast rolling tire combo that corners better than anything ive tried. im using the sticky 35 duros right now but it works great on the 48s too
anything above 26 psi they bounce like a basketball.....makes for a very unsettled ride....

its a shame really.......if they put a Maxxis-like sidewall on thoose tires it would be the best tire on the planet bar none....

our team gave them honest feedback on how to improve the tire, supposedly they have a moto casing in the works........but i'm not sure what the status on that is anymore....

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I'm so lost in this thread its sick, are the 2.5/2.3 octopus tires still available? They were my favorite tire ever along with the yellow kirin, for some of the fast stuff we have around here...

Can anyone help me out?

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I'm so lost in this thread its sick, are the 2.5/2.3 octopus tires still available? They were my favorite tire ever along with the yellow kirin, for some of the fast stuff we have around here...

Can anyone help me out?
The Octos are and will still be available. You will also now have the MX casing option for all DH/FR tire line-up. 2.8 size Octo is out but we have a few for kicks.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
The new Barracuda tire is SICK. My new favorite! Running it up front with an Octopus in the rear. Both around the 20psi range with no problems at all. Also the UST kicks ass! Mount up like a charm on my DeeMax rims with no goo or sealant inside and never loose air. LOVE TUBLESS!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I'm sorry, but you are confusing everybody here. IT'S NOT THE INFINITIVE. The spelling above your post is good. It's not the infinitive because arriver goes with "sont" which is the verb "être" which has to be in relation with the word "pneus" (which is plural and masculin)

Finally, the it should be written: Les pneus d'Hutchinson sont arrivés:rolleyes:

arboc! said:
actually.... *sounding like a nerd* arrives should be the infinitive 'arriver'

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i ran pythons back in the day on my street and dj bike and loved em, paper thin sidewalls though, but they were an xc tire

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
reminds me of highrollers like someone else said..you guys going to have 3" wide any time soon? nice professional office:rofl:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow, those tires look really good! Are they fairly tall? I like a taller profiled tire, so I don't like High Roller 2.7s. The 2.5s I really like. Would that be like the Octopus 2.3 or something?

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
Is the new MX casing on those 2006 tires? I hope so!
If they figured out a way to prevent the Octopus tires from flatting then that might be the best tire in the history of the sport.
A similar ride as the Highroller but faster accelerating, stronger braking and sticks like glue in the offcamber.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
sharkdh said:
Is the new MX casing on those 2006 tires? I hope so!
If they figured out a way to prevent the Octopus tires from flatting then that might be the best tire in the history of the sport.
A similar ride as the Highroller but faster accelerating, stronger braking and sticks like glue in the offcamber.
yes the new MX casing is divine! no flats so far, the compounds are amazing, most of us are to happy with the med compound to even want to try the low (super soft), we'll save em for real real bad conditions

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
habitatxskate said:
reminds me of highrollers like someone else said..you guys going to have 3" wide any time soon? nice professional office:rofl:
the 2.8 is massive, it'll be more than you need if its a big tire you're lookin for

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Bicyclist said:
Wow, those tires look really good! Are they fairly tall? I like a taller profiled tire, so I don't like High Roller 2.7s. The 2.5s I really like. Would that be like the Octopus 2.3 or something?
yep the octopus 2.3 and 2.5 are great tires and similar in size to the high rollers, the 2.5 hutchy might be a tad larger than the high roller

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Cant Climb said:
anything above 26 psi they bounce like a basketball.....makes for a very unsettled ride....

its a shame really.......if they put a Maxxis-like sidewall on thoose tires it would be the best tire on the planet bar none....

our team gave them honest feedback on how to improve the tire, supposedly they have a moto casing in the works........but i'm not sure what the status on that is anymore....

i'll disagree completely with your statement as will some pretty slow racers like Gracia, Peat and Barel who all run between 25 and 29 lbs in their tires
i'm not sure who your team was but we have been givin feedback to Marc Gullickson and crew at Hutchinson and this years octopus's are better than ever!

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
CBJ said:
Yes, a quick run down of their DH tires and where they work, sizing compared to other tires etc.
generally hutchinson tires are actually the size they say they are in the DH sizing, unlike most other brands like maxxis who are always a bit smaller

the bulldog's are brilliant for any wet or loose conditions, if its maximum traction/braking with speed you're lookin for some of us have run 2.5 bulldogs on the front with a 2.3 octopus on the back, this proved well for Bromont (very wet, loose and rocky)

if its pure speed we have some of the lighter guys running 2.3 octopus front and rear at around 29-31 psi, this makes for a very very fast tire

the 2.3 python is proving to be a very fast rolling tire with more traction than expected with its new sideknobs, still not an octopus for cornering but if its fast and smooth these bad boys will do fantasticly

the barracuda's are likely to take over for the perfect summer tire, super fast rolling but still has large outer knobs for offcambers and high speed drifters