Quantcast

Les Stroud vs Bear Grylls

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You see the episode where Bear cuts open the camel intestines, pulls out the "stuff" and squeezes the juice into his mouth for the water? Come on, that's not fake. And he did the same thing with elephant dung.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think both shows are good. I like the idea of Bear getting chased. Or better yet, maybe him hunting down survivor man.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I don't dispute that the guy is probably a tough dude. I'm just saying if you are out there within view of the road pretending to be lost in the wilderness you are a poser.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
hell yeah he is a tough dude, did you see the show where he hydrated himself via his anus?

I'm with rockofllr, it is just too fake.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
Bonked enough to know that if I keep my effort low I can keep moving for a long time.

Not a survivalist but have learned myself a plenty on nourishment for endurance. Your body primarily runs off of fat under 65% effort. Your body has a lot of stored fat. However your brain runs on carbs alone, you can metabolize other things into carbs to keep the brain alive but never running at the same level. Bonking is running your blood sugar low. For a short term survival situation, it is probably more important to get your hands on a source of carbs to keep your brain fueled than it is to eat protein/fat to keep your muscles moving.
Your body can turn fat into usable glucose, although you'll end up smelling like ****.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Your body can turn fat into usable glucose, although you'll end up smelling like ****.
your body turns everything into glucose, it's the only energy source your body uses. It turns fats, proteins, and carbos (both simple and complex sugars) into glucose for energy. It depends on how long and how much of a certain fuel has which determines the energy source your body will utilize. it is easy for the body to convert simple sugar into glucose, therefore it uses sugar quickly and for short time energy expenditures. it requires more energy to convert proteins and complex carbo's into glucose, and fat requires the most energy but is the most easily stored for long term uses.

Last edited: