Quantcast

Less Bullit rear travel

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by Rainer Wolfcastle, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Rainer Wolfcastle

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Maybe stupid question, but can I set up my Bullit with less than 7" rear travel? Say 5"?

Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. PatBranch

PatBranch Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 7
    Yeah, just use a shorter shock.

3. W4S

W4S Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 23
    Sure, by changing to a shorter travel shock, it will effect your geometry though. I put a pushed fox from an '01 bullit on my '04 and the bike feels amazing, low BB, about 65 HA (even slacker if I want using the shuttle) and 6" of travel. Now it feels like a mini DH bike, I won't be getting rid of this bike for awhile.

4. TWISTED

TWISTED Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    You could trade someone for a heckler.

You could custom machine a new longer shock shuttle and use a shorter shock. I've done this on a different bike to get shorter travel with nice geometry.

5. TWISTED

TWISTED Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Like this,

6. joelsman

joelsman Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    the old 6in bullits used a 7.875x 2.25, find a 2in stroke by 7.875 and it would be about 5in. air shocks are easy to find in that length.

I loved the way my old 6in bullit felt with a 6in fork, geometry was perfect.

be careful when running the 7.875 shock in the slack position, the older bullits had a bent seat tube so the tire wouldn't rub.

7. dhkid

dhkid Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    i had an air shox on my bullit for quite a while, its was the same length as the shox used on the blur. 2.15 or some thing like that. i ran it with out a custom shox mount and a 5" fork, ended up with a really slack HA.

8. gmac

gmac Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    W4S--- You stole ma bike.

That is my exact Bullit setup. Small black 04 frame w/ 01 shock (pushed) w/ a 6" Bomber.

I also feel it is damn close to perfect Trail and light DH bike. It seems kind of ahead of the times: short travel, tough, slack, light just like all the new bikes. Maybe they are all just catching up now. Dunno.

I've got an old 6" Super T for DH. BUT, I'm considering going to the new 2006 66. Or possibly the Fox 36VAN. As a solution to swapping forks around.

9. W4S

W4S Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 23
    Dude, we're Post Modern! :D

I definitely think that people that climb so they can bomb back down would like a bike set-up like this. The only problem is that you can't find production bikes with these angles. I'd love to buy an RFX, or a Nomad or an Iron Horse, but they're all cross country angles, and they don't feel as good at speed or going down really steep, rocky and rooty trails.

10. Rainer Wolfcastle

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Thanks for the input everybody. I'll try to find at shorter shock.