Quantcast

Let it breathe!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Is it just me or do y'all enjoy a red wine even more the next day or two after opening it?

Now that I've been drinking alone, I'll have leftovers and really think there's a huge difference between most reds 24-48 hours later... noticeably and substantially better.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
no.

it's you.

Unless you are talking about something really old that you don't let adequately breath, I have to agree with Narlus.

It's hard to say this without sounding like a snob but it sounds like you are drinking young, harsh, high alcohol, overly tannic wines when you prefer a more elegant, softer style. Giving those a day or so will soften them up, but you typically also lose a huge amount of aroma.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's hard to say this without sounding like a snob but it sounds like you are drinking young, harsh, high alcohol, overly tannic wines when you prefer a more elegant, softer style. Giving those a day or so will soften them up, but you typically also lose a huge amount of aroma.
I wouldn't say they're that young, 4-5 years old and I don't drink anything harsh or high in alcohol.

As for aroma, it's MORE prevalent the next day. All the flavors are more distinctive and enjoyable.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Is it just me or do y'all enjoy a red wine even more the next day or two after opening it?

Now that I've been drinking alone, I'll have leftovers and really think there's a huge difference between most reds 24-48 hours later... noticeably and substantially better.
As someone who has been on the cleanup end of a number of parties I definitely disagree.

Day old wine? No sir.

P.S. Drinking alone? Sounds like trouble.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
****TN posting not L*****

^prude.

It really depends on the wine to me.

Perfect example....We opened two bottles one night last week. One a Cab From Mendoza. One a Syrah/Merlot Vin de Pays. The cab was tight as a nun's c*unt, obtuse & big boy....not a bad wine....it just needed some O2. La didn't like it at all. Me...I liked it, ok but it was not ready to drink. So we opened the Syrah/Merlot (from Languedoc) enjoyable immediately, nice layers of blackberry, blueberry, smoke, cedar & easy to drink. We knocked out 1/2 of each bottle & then the next night finished off the other two.

L tasting blind was nuts for the Cab but hated the Syrah/Merlot...completely opposite of her reaction the night before. L has a great palate but guessed wrong as well. I agreed that the Cab was dynamite & the S/M was crap.

We also had a bottle last week that was a Spanish tempranillo from Navarra that took us 4 days to finish off & it was starting to go down hill by the last glass. I would say it peaked around day 2.

From what I understand, aerating a wine (in the glass/bottle/carafr/etc..) does basically the same thing as cellaring a wine but at a much more rapid pace. We have a couple decanters that we use on big unwieldy wines that may be claustrophobic.

-TN

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
To me, the high alcoholic, fruit bombs (when you say high alcohl I think of Cali reds & aussie reds that are typically fruit bombs) don't last as long in an open bottle.
Coincidentally they don't cellar well either.

Unless you are talking about something really old that you don't let adequately breath, I have to agree with Narlus.