Quantcast

Let the tire battle begin!! Best tires for ne!

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
Alright guys after my last ride in Dogtown, I was thinking of picking up a new set of rubber for the mountain bike. I have been using Maxxis for a while (High Roller, Minion, Larsen, Holy Roller) and I hate Schwabies. What do you guys think are the best NE tires for the trails on the north shore MA specifically, or NE in general. Also should say I usually run 2.35 front and rear.

Let the battle begin!

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I have been really considering trying out conti, my shop owner is a huge fan and everyone rides on them there. I was looking maybe the Baron 2.35 or the Trail King 2.4 but what do you guys think? I am more then willing to stick to maxxis I have had really good luck with them and I ride my bike from everything from Highland of the weekend to cross country so I am looking for a good all rounder set up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
haven't tried conti's, so i can't speak for them. i've heard good things about their new stuff, so if you have easy access to it might be worth a shot.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
do any of you use the maxxis exo casing for rocky downhill runs? I'm wondering how well they hold up for east coast dh abuse. I'd like to lose some weight in my tires if possible but don't want to constantly worry about flats either...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If you do go Conti, make sure it's a German made one, all of the others are rubbish and still have problems with lugs tearing off.

The Trail King is a monster of a tyre, I had the 2.4 and found it good but the thin sidewalls and huge volume meant you did have to run some amount of pressure to stop the thing completely folding over in turns.

Another annoying thing with Conti is that the Black Chili compound isn't like ST from Maxxis, the durometer changes for each tyre.

I did find the Trail King pretty slow on the road but on the dirt it almost felt as if it rolled quicker on the dirt.

I'm going to try the Mountain King 2 as my next tyre, still has good cornering lugs but the centre is a lot more open.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I really like the Maxxis HRII up front(2.3) and ardent out back(2.25), both EXO ran tubeless, never had one flat or issue.. This setup is probably way overkill for the trails I ride, but love how predictable/controllable they are on the limit. I would love to try a Ardent/Aspen or Ikon combo for something a bit faster rolling. I'm in central NJ FWIW

Just realized how old this thread is!