Quantcast

Lets build a bike

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
So i have almost enough parts for a complete bike, so, therefore i am toying with the idea of buying a frame and throwing the stuff on. Ideally id like to get it through my shop since i can get better deals. Transition, Jamis, Black Market, GT. (ill listen to any other reccomendations as well)

Here is what i got

2012 888 EVO
20mm and 10-135 profile elites laced to mtx 33
83 E13 cranks or 68/73 slx cranks
pedals, bars, stem (direct and non direct mount)
tires
saint shifter/der
grips and odds and ends

Any ideas what cool bike could be made with this relatively cheap? the 135 spaced carbon demo is NOT on the table :(

already riding a zerode, trance 26' and a spesh sx so possibly something 6 inches of travel?

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Heard alot of praise for the covert, but since it would be more of a "dh" style bike, woudlnt i want the bottlerocket instead?

-if i went transition

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You don't want an 888 on a Bottle Rocket though. I know people have done it but I tried a Totem on mine and it felt stupid tall. It was way better with the fork in the 150-160 range, with or without offset head cups. Maybe sell the 888 and use the money for an appropriate fork?

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
888 mated to a 6" frame seems not too balanced imo. Looks like this is gonna be like a miniDH sled. If so, Id look at the Uzzi. Do it all, more on the gravity side of things. Good luck.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
black market roam if it ever comes out, and trade the 888 for a 55 rc3 evo ti

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
You sound confused, no offence.

Figure out what kind of bike you want to ride, not based on the mix-up of parts you have. Go from there. I'd also go GT over Transition of the companys you listed. Minor tweeks and they are very dialed bikes.

Or, you could be a doll and send those parts to me, since I could use them all on a Status build....

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
888 mated to a 6" frame seems not too balanced imo.

i would probably sell the fork and get a 66 or similar. I just wasnt sure if somebody knew of a cool dh bike in a 135 that i may have been missing. Im thinking a 6 inch because i dont have that, but either way its going to cater to bike park and mini DH. Not looking to go used but i know older demos used to be 135

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Ive read in threads riders going 135 dropouts with their 951's (older ones). This is a 135 rear and 83 bb width combo. Talks of messed up chainlines and whatnot came up, but the owner didnt have any issues with such combo. If its gonna be a park bike then surely the Uzzi or similar route would be good. Otherwise, like what the others said sell the 888 and get a 55 or 66 if a 6" frame is what you want.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
heard alot of praise for the covert, but since it would be more of a "dh" style bike, woudlnt i want the bottlerocket instead?

-if i went transition

i would say covert carbon or Canfield the one!

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
:spam: I've got a nice, black, 2010 (170mm) sx trail frame that sounds PERFECT for this build :brows:

PS sounds fun, I always end up with random bikes I don't really need from doing this, but it's a cool way to try something out that you don't want to spend a bunch on...

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I'll third the vote for The One. Had one and regret selling it. Fun bike.

Another option to consider, though not on your list, would be the Scott Voltage FR. You can use your 888 or a single crown. Very much like The One in terms of its versatility but very different in suspension, etc. I like the Scott interchangeable drop out system better than Canfield's dropouts too. Many different shock options for that bike too if you like to tinker.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I can't believe nobody's said it yet: Blindside. Bottlerocket's big brother.

135 spacing available; takes a dual-crown handily; makes a perfect bike-park blaster. Travel is more than 6 and it's 73mm BB shell, but still . . . .

Last edited:

if you want a 6inch bike, this fits the "different" criteria.

the DH bike DHY is also 135 rear end 73mm BB.

i would probably sell the fork and get a 66 or similar. I just wasnt sure if somebody knew of a cool dh bike in a 135 that i may have been missing. Im thinking a 6 inch because i dont have that, but either way its going to cater to bike park and mini DH. Not looking to go used but i know older demos used to be 135

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
try Banshee Rune!! trade 888 for 55 Ti Rc3 and run CCDB in the rear ;) you get both 6" rear and front and will be fun all-round bike.

It is what Im gonna purchase though with 100% Bos setup.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Rode a blindslide and didnt love it, but i wouldnt completely rule it out yet, canfield 1 is my favorite choice, but i just dont think it will be in my price range (as of now)

Anybody know anything about the BM?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
GT Distortion? There's a whole thread about em, and they seem to be one of those magic super bikes; I havent touched one, but the buzz is good (not hype!)

2c

BBBSwan05

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
has nobody said tr250? i think it would be a sweet bike for NE riding and a little different. carbon covert would be sweet but 888 would be wayyyy overkill.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
GT Distortion? There's a whole thread about em, and they seem to be one of those magic super bikes; I havent touched one, but the buzz is good (not hype!)

2c
That bike rules, you often forget it's only a 4.5in bike and just go for it in the rocks. That being said, I'd run a 140-150mm fork max, and it's 142mm rear end, so doesn't fit the build list. But, I'd sell all that stuff and put the $$$ towards the Distortion.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
You have almost all the basis covered in terms of mountain bikes. If I had your bikes I would look into building up a hardtail DJ/4X bike.

I have a Wilson, a dirtjumper, and a Distortion for everything else. If I had any other mountain bikes I would end up neglecting them. Currently, I'm piecing a Remedy together with spare parts to sell for my first road bike.

NwRider

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Bellingham, Wa
Carbon Covert for sure. I have a '12 covert with a 180mm 36 on it and it absolutely crushes. It didnt raise the BB much but gave it a more relaxed feeling, still pedals amazing. This is after riding a 160mm fork. I ride it more than my 450 because its just so damn fun and just as fast.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
You have almost all the basis covered in terms of mountain bikes. If I had your bikes I would look into building up a hardtail DJ/4X bike.

I have a Wilson, a dirtjumper, and a Distortion for everything else. If I had any other mountain bikes I would end up neglecting them. Currently, I'm piecing a Remedy together with spare parts to sell for my first road bike.
I actually have a hardtail. The only thing i dont have is a 6 inch. I never really needed one-but with enough stuff to build one up-why not? Most of the stuff wouldnt sell anyway-but if its togethwr i can use it. Cant afford the canfield so its between a covert, gt( smaller than id like) and the bm-which is what im leaning towards-but still not ready to pull the trigger

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I have a Wilson, a dirtjumper, and a Distortion for everything else. If I had any other mountain bikes I would end up neglecting them.
I have a very similar fleet. DHR, Distortion, and an Evil DOC. If you get a Surly Cross Check (best road bike ever)... I'd accuse you of spying on me or something creepy.
Cant afford the canfield so its between a covert, gt( smaller than id like) and the bm-which is what im leaning towards-but still not ready to pull the trigger
FWIW, the Distortion does NOT ride like a 4.5in bike when descending. I keep up no problem when riding trail bikes with my buds (as long as we're pointing down) who're on 6in bikes, it really does ride like a DH'rs trail bike. I honestly barely hold back when riding trails often frequented by full on DH bikes, obviously there are some trails I'd rather not ride the bike down that I ride on my DHR, but not many.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Nice, I have a One built up at 34.5 lbs with totem and stout parts, pretty amazingly versatile bike. Also have a Jedi, and GT Distortion for dirt riding. Feel like my bases are covered.