Quantcast

lets do the xc thing!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
well i'm almost done with my xc bike, so i have an itch.

lets start listing the places that we like to go ride are xc bikes.

personnally. i like to ride wakfield and accotink because they are really close to my house but my favorite place to ride has to be shaffers farm. its just so fast and flowy.

p.s. post your xc bike as well. i will post mine as soon as its biuld (hopefully saterday!)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Few things beat the mountains. My favs are Douthat, Lake Sherando/Big Levels and Bralies Pond (sic?). I do most of my riding at Walnut Creek though, close and fun.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Braley's Pond is great. Although I did an unintentional rodeo flip at a bout 20mph and knocked myself out cold there yesterday. That trail has always raised my hair on fast descents, and I certainly found out way. That Sh!t hurt!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The Buttermilk loop in Richmond is a blast. And then there Pocahontas, 10 minutes from my house. That has a got a bunch of stuff an miles of trails you could ride all day. Then there's Poor Farm....Richmond is BOOMING right now in Richmond as far as XC is concerned.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
haha i missed that thread i think. notice that there is still relevents to my thread as well.

i will post it asap. its still in parts right now. actually the last parts are probibly arriving as we speak from new mexico.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Elizabeth Furnace in Front Royal, specifically the southern ridge trails although the regular MTB trails on the northern ridge are also good.

My "XC" bikes are a VP free or a 6"Big Hit w/ 66.

dairy_dude

Chimp
Nov 19, 2004
The Buttermilk loop in Richmond is a blast. And then there Pocahontas, 10 minutes from my house. That has a got a bunch of stuff an miles of trails you could ride all day. Then there's Poor Farm....Richmond is BOOMING right now in Richmond as far as XC is concerned.
Richmond is is awsome for xc, my friends and I do those trails all the time, and camp hilbert #3 is this sunday if it doesn't get rained out, I'm hoping for a mud race :)

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
So far my stable includes my Kona Explosif 26" single speed, Ellsworth Distance and my new project 29" On-One Inbred which is being built single speed as well. Come to think of it, I haven't ridden the gearie since the end of May. :biggrin:

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Ooooo looks fast! I've been XC'ing it at Schaeffer and the Catoctin(sp?) blue trail at the shed lately. I'm enjoying trailriding VA/MD much more than DH'ing VA/MD.

Edit: My XC bike is a ASX at estimated 37-38lbs. :(

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Nice bike! I love Voodoos. I have an old Wanga that was my primary bike from first getting into MTB in '97 until picking up the 29er a couple of months ago. I still take her out a couple times a month. The geometry is great for this area.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
That VooDoo is nice! How does the frame ride?

BikeGeek, I've got a Inbred 29er frame on order. Should be built up in the next couple weeks. :)

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I think if the winter is relatively mellow, we can plan some rides, ones in NOVA, In Richmond, and the VA beach area...

For some of us it would be great way to either get in, or improve FR/DH skills. At least for me anyway.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
i hadnt ridden in forever today and i thought i was gonna suck, but i really impressed my self by riding better than ever. i didnt lose any technical skill what so ever. pretty random post but sk6 talked about fr/dh skills so i just thought what came to mind

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
psht technical skills? thats why you didnt hit the 6 foot stepdown of death hahah. just kiddin man. I rode today and realized that I am in peice of **** shape. the dh fr thing has boned up technical skilly though

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
You gonna start up a swingers forum?:brows:
virginia MTB swingers...

I see hairy dudes in lycra behaving oddly.:cheers:

I was thinking a cross post of this forum on a swingers website I "know" out of NOLA. It would really add to the humor of the whole thing.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I ride ma Evil XC all the time and would def. be in for some painful climbing too! Fntainhead is IMO the best place to get in shape it's all climbing

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
it's tough to rides during the fall and winter due to lights, but if we can maybe get weekend rides going. RA-MORE and some central VA folks may have something in mind.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Maybe a weekend XC and Urban ride? Richmond XC ride on Buttermilk/downtown trails then hit up a downtown restaurant for some food/beer then switch bikes and do an urban ride. That would make a trip worth it for out-o-towners.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Cool. I look forward to seeing the build. Are you going rigid?
No, going with a Reba 100mm. I have loved the Reba on my Explosif so I figured I'd give it a go. I will have the rigid fork just in case though. My main riding areas really beg for some boing up front. I like the reba because the motion control lockout works extremely well and keeps the front end nice and stiff on the out of saddle climbs.

Build will be....

18" Inbred 29er
Reba 100mm
On-One Mary bar
Juicey 7's
32T ENO crank 175mm
XT Hubs
Salsa Delgado disc
Chris King 20T cog
Thomson seatpost and stem
Maxxis Ignitors
and the topper... a King dread set for those irie ridge rides! ;)

As for trips, I'd love to plan one, but my wedding and honeymoon which are coming up at the end of the week have kept me pre-occupied a bit. I'm down for a ride but it wouldn't be until November.

Maybe a weekend XC and Urban ride? Richmond XC ride on Buttermilk/downtown trails then hit up a downtown restaurant for some food/beer then switch bikes and do an urban ride. That would make a trip worth it for out-o-towners.
I would do this, although someone told me the buttermilk is closed.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Let's see,...

For XC, mostly I ride my C-dale 1FG, though the Prophet does get a fair share of abuse. A Niner SIR-9 is on the way (or may be here for all I know) and will be built up shortly from the 1FG (when I get some rims/spokes).

Trails? Uhmmm.... everything's XC around here 'cept for a handful of DH trails I shuttle occasionally. Mostly ride the Shed or the Furnace areas, but recently have been spending quite a bit of time spinning laps around Rosaryville. That place is just one big 10 mile pump track. -great on the SS. I even took my 3:1 CX bike out there a few weeks back and spun around a couple. Now that was a workout. Can't wait to rail it on the new bike.

Oh yeah, other places I'm sometimes found, Wakefield or Fountainhead (after work) and maybe an early Patapsco on occasion.